Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #1
oscarandbabys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
southeast texas, where should we go?

We live in California and my husbands job is relocating us to southeast Texas. Well, its a 90% sure thing.

His work will be in La Porte. But we dont mind him driving about 30-40min. So what are some nice cities (good schools, safe) around that area.

Might I add we are a little worried of hurricanes........ never really dealt with them so........

tia! Adriana

OH and how would traffic be from the area you suggest to La Porte

And which cities/town/parts we should avoid

Thanks

Advertisement

Last edited by oscarandbabys; 06-08-2010 at 11:00 AM.
oscarandbabys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: southeast texas, where should we go?

My suggestion would be Deer Park. Deer Park ISD gets lots of money from refinery taxes so it is a very well funded school district that I have heard wonderful things about. Deer Park is very close to La Porte. I have a friend that lives there and the subdivision that they live in is very nice and you will find housing to be very affordable.
AFA hurricanes, I have lived in the Greater Houston area my entire life. I have ridden out 2 bad hurricanes in that time. I think there was a span of 24 years between those two hurricanes. Ike sucked, I'm not going to lie but our chances of having another major storm hit us are low and it is something that you learn to keep in the back of your mind. The thought of earthquakes freaks me out because I have never been through one. You don't get much warning with an earthquake, you get at least a few days warning with a hurricane.
HTH!
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
oscarandbabys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks!! i'll check Deer Park out

yeah earthquakes suck and its been a L O N G time since we have had anything memorable! that makes it even scarier. Im more worried about property damage when/if we do have to leave. I'd rather avoid it if at all possible or just plain be as far from the shore as possible kwim?
Old 06-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
oscarandbabys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

or maybe i should i ask this too!!! which cities/towns/parts of southeast texas should we avoid!
Old 06-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

Houston has horrible traffic. Not quite on the same level as LA but it isn't far off. You are going to want to avoid places that are on the other side of town. Houston is huge, you can spend over an hour getting from one end to the other in a non-traffic time. So you are going to want to stick to the Southeast part of town. All parts of town have nice areas and not so nice areas. You can google Houston Area Evacuation Map for a map of evacuation zones. We live in Zone C which means we would evacuate in a worst-case scenario. Hurricanes can be scary but you will have time to take measures to keep you and your family safe.
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote