View Poll Results: What age should kids start dating (one-on-one)
11 OR under 1 0.53%
12 1 0.53%
13 5 2.65%
14 16 8.47%
15 31 16.40%
16 81 42.86%
17 10 5.29%
18 23 12.17%
19 or older 5 2.65%
other 16 8.47%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #81
MyLovely
Registered Users

Re: What Age for Dating

I think it's funny that so many parents think they can control their kids (or conversely that they have no control at all)

Clearly, parenting makes an impact on how your children turn out. However, a good 90% of it is purely personality. You can parent several children identically and have them turn out differently. I have fantastic, loving, totally AP parents. I just knew that no matter how much I pissed them off, they'd still love me. What would they do...restrict my privileges? I had to drive to school because I lived out of district, and I worked 15 hours a week, so even the most heavy grounding didn't limit my social life. Plus, my parents weren't the type to "ground you for a year!!" If something was so fun that it made a month of no computer worth it, I was going to do it. I'm a stubborn person, there is literally nothing they could have done to stop me if I'd wanted to do something badly enough. On the flip side, my sister is very passive and wouldn't dream of ever doing something without their approval. Two kids, parented exactly the same, and we're completely different.

Further anecdotal evidence...my aunt and uncle. They believed, like several people here, that courting is the way to go. Their children were raised very strictly, they were hyper vigilant about where the kids went and who they were friends with, and they've always either gone to religious private school or homeschooled. So far, only three are out of high school. The oldest secretly ran up a lot of credit card debt and has full-out dated three guys, the next oldest knocked up his girlfriend two months after getting to college and the last one started secretly smoking in high school and refuses to do anything they say. Here are kids parented in a strict way (the CORRECT strict way, with little room for rebellion) who totally rebelled after high school. We'll see how the next six turn out.

Advertisement