Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
Monetlily2
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Costochondritis anyone?

Yesterday I started to feel like I was getting terrible heartburn, it spread to my right side and hurt really bad when I took a breath. At midnight It was so painful (felt like an organ) that I was considering going to the hospital. We called our OB and he said that it was an inflammation of my lung that could last 14 days and that I couldn't get Cortisone treatments because I am 37 weeks along already. I slept on that side last night and I feel much better this morning, it still hurts, but I was wondering if anyone else experienced this and what made you feel better?

Advertisement

Monetlily2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
Zan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Costochondritis anyone?

Never heard of it, but wanted to give you It's rough at the end of a pregnancy and good sleep is so hard to get.

Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
SarieQ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had it for months when I was 19 or 20. I wasn't pregnant or overweight, so I have no idea why my rib carteledge (eh, I don't have spellcheck) flared up. It eventually went away on it's own.
SarieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Monetlily2
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Yeah apparently it's unusual to have it so far along in my pregnancy and I'm not overweight or anything either.

I've had 2 very mild contractions in the past 2 hours. I hope she can wait until this goes away I don't want to labor epidural free with shooting pains when I breath. It could make labor that much more difficult.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
katy_mb3
Registered Users
seller

My preceptor has a Mama who's had this for her entire pregnancy - she's not overweight at all and went into the pregnancy in optimal health. She's due with her first baby any day now. Certain activities like washing the dishes or hanging laundry tend to really aggravate it and she's had to take tylenol at times to manage the pain, but tries to take it sparingly.

She's requested the use of my birth pool for pain management (homebirth) because of the costochondritis and I hope it provides some relief. Where are you laboring? Would water be an option for you as well?
katy_mb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
Monetlily2
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy_mb3 View Post
My preceptor has a Mama who's had this for her entire pregnancy - she's not overweight at all and went into the pregnancy in optimal health. She's due with her first baby any day now. Certain activities like washing the dishes or hanging laundry tend to really aggravate it and she's had to take tylenol at times to manage the pain, but tries to take it sparingly.

She's requested the use of my birth pool for pain management (homebirth) because of the costochondritis and I hope it provides some relief. Where are you laboring? Would water be an option for you as well?
I am so lucky!! The last 2 days I have really taken it easy, my house is a MESS, but it is going away. Occasionally, I have pain when I breath. I am so lucky.

I tried water for my last two and told myself NEVER to do it again. I am way to sensitive and get cold really easily so it makes me unhappy. I wish it worked better for us.

We are delivering at the very last possible moment in a hospital. I keep telling my husband that he better be prepared to deliver her himself.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #7
katy_mb3
Registered Users
seller

The Mama I was talking about had her little boy yesterday! A peaceful, beautiful homebirth. Her costochondritis never bothered her a bit!

FWIW, she mentioned that she started taking MSM for the last couple of weeks. It took about 5 days before she noticed an effect - she realized that she was having more good days than bad ones. After about 8 days, she realized she hadn't had any pain in a long time. She took it according to the package directions. HTH!
katy_mb3 is offline   Reply With Quote