Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
frenchie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: another one...can your 4 year old ride a bike?

DS started riding a bike when he was 3, and we took the training wheels off when he was 4. He was always a little wild man riding his bike as a wee one.

If he's having a hard time pedaling, you may want to look into getting him a balance bike. There are no pedals. He would just use his feet to push the bike, then he can lift his feet to balance himself when he feels confident enough. From there, when he's coordinated enough, he can start pedaling on a regular bike.

You just need to have patience with him. Can he just practice in front of your house on the side walk, or in the street?

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 10:16 PM   #12
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post

You just need to have patience with him. Can he just practice in front of your house on the side walk, or in the street?
We've been trying that, but then he gets frustrated because he's not riding with his friends. I'm generally a very patient person, but when it comes to this it drives me nuts for some reason, I suppose because I know that he knows how to do it, he's just not doing it for whatever reason. I've asked him if he's tired, if its too hard, etc etc and his reply is always just "I don't know how"...even after pedaling all the way down. Having him push the bike back to the house has done nothing, making him miss a day because he wouldn't pedal or push it back has done nothing, we even left it at his friend's house a couple houses down one night because he wouldn't move it & I was trying to make a point...didn't get through. He didn't care that it was down there & it stayed at the back of their house (with their permission) for a few days before DH went and got it. He just doesn't seem to care, except for when his friends are riding...then he wants to be with them...he just doesn't seem to get that in order to be able to stay up with them, he has to practice & actually TRY to ride the bike
Old 06-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #13
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son is 4.5 and he doesn't even have a bike. The problem is, he really doesn't have anywhere to ride it safely. He is my oldest. I also have 2.5 year old twins and 9wk old twins. It's really hard for me to take them outside where it isn't contained and keep them all safe. Our driveway is a hill, so he would have to be in the street and I can't have the 2.5 year olds there too running around. We play in our backyard which has a fence. But, my husband and I were just talking about this yesterday and we are going to get him one soon. He won't be able to ride as often as we would like, but we think it's important.

However, he does have a 3 wheeler type thing with pedals. He's short and has a hard time reaching them to actually do it. When I do take him out with it, we get the same thing. He doesn't actually want to go very far at all with it. It's annoying.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
DS started riding a bike when he was 3, and we took the training wheels off when he was 4. He was always a little wild man riding his bike as a wee one.

If he's having a hard time pedaling, you may want to look into getting him a balance bike. There are no pedals. He would just use his feet to push the bike, then he can lift his feet to balance himself when he feels confident enough. From there, when he's coordinated enough, he can start pedaling on a regular bike.

Sorry to hijack

I've read a lot about balance bikes recently. Does anyone have any idea whether they help with learning to ride a 2 wheeled bicycle? In my experience, the biggest problem with learning to ride was the peddling and getting the leg strength to peddle.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #15
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My 4 year old nephew just learned how to without training wheels but it was a rough journey. He got so embarrassed and angry every time he fell down.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #16
amitchell98
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Sorry to hijack

I've read a lot about balance bikes recently. Does anyone have any idea whether they help with learning to ride a 2 wheeled bicycle? In my experience, the biggest problem with learning to ride was the peddling and getting the leg strength to peddle.
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=997899

I started this thread a few weeks ago, their are some great experiences w/ balance bikes in here. My son is getting one for his 2nd birthday next month.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #17
nalazimbala
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Sorry to hijack

Most kids learn to pedal on a tricycle...what they need to learn before riding a 2 wheeled bike is balance....at least this is what I've read tons of parents say and we will bw testing it out in a few weeks when DD gets hers.

Check out the reviews for some of them at amazon if you want some convincing...there's some videos on there too. We ended up going with the Strider Prebike.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
sUpermOm81
Do not B/T with. Contact ~happy2Bamommy~ if involved in a transaction.
seller

My Mood:

My 2 year old rides with training wheels, and my 4 year old rides without them.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #19
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS loves bike riding. In the evening, when DH is home to tend to DD, I'll go for a 2 mile run and DS will ride his bike alongside me. He took to the bike super early; before his 3rd birthday, and never looked back. I keep meaning to take his training wheels off and work with him.

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #20
south5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles_104 View Post
This may sound mean, but when my dd (at age 5) did that, I told her that I wasn't pushing her bike back, and she had to do it, or leave it for someone else to find, who would like it more. It took about 3 times of her screaming that it was "too hard" for her to figure out I was serious, and about 4 more times after that to figure out it was easier to pedal.
I agree, I did this with my 5 year old this year. I told him too bad you have to pedal. I think it has become a game at this point. If he is going to get on he has to finish.