Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #21
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: another one...can your 4 year old ride a bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Sorry to hijack

I've read a lot about balance bikes recently. Does anyone have any idea whether they help with learning to ride a 2 wheeled bicycle? In my experience, the biggest problem with learning to ride was the peddling and getting the leg strength to peddle.
Well my DD got a bike with training wheels for her 2nd birthday. She was still too short to use it easily so we put it up for a few months. Once she was tall enough for it we took it down and there was no way she could pedal it - that is hard work and the coordination required takes work! So we took her bike brought it inside, put the metal "L" of the training wheels up on wooden blocks so that the back wheel of the bike was just off the floor. She then was able to practice how to pedal without the difficulty of the resistance of the ground. Once she could pedal easily this way, we took the bike out side and she got better and better! The first day she could go on a flat surface, and by the next she was able to go up slight inclines. It took longer for her to be able to go up hills or start from a stand still. She got so fast on it that we had to put it away because she kept falling over during turns (training wheels are so dangerous because of this IMO) We got her a balance bike this April (this is what we wanted her to get originally) and she figured out how to balance within the first day! She does really well on it and can ride FOREVER! Now that she has the pedaling, steering and balance all learned, I'm sure she will figure out how to ride a 2 wheeler pretty quickly when we take the training wheels off. I would totally recommend a balance bike as a great way to learn to ride a bike! Oh, and my DD is still two year old!

Advertisement

Old 06-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #22
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I thought you were asking if they could ride a bike without training wheels!! I was going to say it depends on the kid. Mine were anywhere form 2 1/2 -7 when they could ride without training wheels. I've never experienced the problem your having though. I think taking it away for the following day if you have to push it back would work though.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #23
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:

My 40 month old DD has a Kettler Trike for if we are going anywhere longer than the drive way, and a 16" bike with training wheels that she is practicing on. She is JUST on the low end of being big enough for a 16", and I'm just thinking that she will be comfortable with it by fall- and without training wheels NEXT fall (so at 4.5 years old). On the Kettler, she will ride it to and from the park, and only needs help going uphill (and that is why I love the Kettler- it has a handle for mom to push!). Oh, and with the bigger bike- she genuinely DOES need help/a push to get started, and when uphill- the few times that we have had her do it herself, he little legs just shake she is pushing so hard!

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #24
JoeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Joey loves his bike.
He mostly goes up and down our driveway though.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #25
wimama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalazimbala View Post
Most kids learn to pedal on a tricycle...what they need to learn before riding a 2 wheeled bike is balance....at least this is what I've read tons of parents say and we will bw testing it out in a few weeks when DD gets hers.

My DS hyas a Kettler trike. He can pedal it all the way to the park and back.

But, for his fourth birthday we bought him a Strider Balance bike instead of bike with training wheels. His legs are too short to ride a 16 inch bike safely this year. So, we figure we will have to get him a 16" bike next year anyway. This year he is just learning to balance on his Strider bike. We all love it. He has gotten pretty good at balancing on it. He wanted to glide down a big hill the other day. Mommy was scared though, I made his start halfway down. It was a short, very steep incline. He is starting to get pretty daring on his bike. So, he has caught onto the idea of balancing very quickly. He is a bit of a cautious kid sometimes, I think he might become too dependent on training wheels. Instead, he has gained confidence and control over his bike. And, we love being able to go for a walk at adult speed, he gets ahead of us all the time now, cruising on this balance bike.

On many bikes you can take the crank and pedals off the bike and essentially make a bike a balance bike. It would have too be a shorter bike though.

Last edited by wimama; 06-13-2010 at 07:38 PM.
wimama is offline   Reply With Quote