Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #11
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Nursing laying down pointers?!

I've been doing it for a while with 34 A's lol. I just sure DD is low and has to look up to nurse. I lay on my side, she lifts her chin and latches, and I fall asleep.

Advertisement

hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #12
Whoamama
Registered Users

My Mood:

This really only presented problems at night when I was so tired...I would start in football sitting up against the headboard with pillows and I would drift off to sleep..but I was jerk myself awake b/c I was afraid Id end up dropping him or something..thats when the bottles started

eta- so if laying down is no good for me for awhile...what else can I do?! Im the type of person that NEEDS about 6 good hours of sleep to FUNCTION during the day. so sleep is a must!

Last edited by Whoamama; 06-15-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Whoamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
mamatara
Registered Users

I put the arm of the side I'm laying on / nursing on up under my head and scootch baby up closer to me (not *totally* comfy for me all the time, but it works!) Also though, I wasn't able to comfortably nurse her laying down until she was 3-4 months old... before that she was just too little and floppy!
mamatara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #14
krst693
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have not mastered the SL position yet. But when he was a newborn I would fall asleep in the recliner while nursing him on a boppy pillow. I would roll a receiving blanket and put it on my shoulder to lay my head on.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Never did it with my nb, I always sat up. Now that he is older, I lay next to him & he pretty much latches on his own.

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #16
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoamama View Post
eta- so if laying down is no good for me for awhile...what else can I do?! Im the type of person that NEEDS about 6 good hours of sleep to FUNCTION during the day. so sleep is a must!
Have you tried nursing in a couch/recliner with a Boppy or similar pillow? Can you pump and have DH (or whomever) give a bottle of breastmilk occasionally (as long as your BFing is well established)? Do you nap during the day when baby naps?

Hang in there mama, the first 6 weeks are the hardest part, I promise!

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #17
pkaskaggs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

didn't read the other posts...

the only way i could get it at 1st was to sit up in bed and get baby latched. then i would slowly lay down and get comfy....now i don't even fully wake up to nurse. it's been a life-saver!!!
pkaskaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #18
Ali
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am larger chested. I put a pillow next to me, lay DS on the pillow and he nurses from my top breast. So if I'm laying on my right side he nurses on my left breast and vice versa. I do not hold his head, I just move him so he is level with my breast and close enough to nurse w/o me holding his head. In the beginning I did hold my breast just because if I didn't it would smoosh his whole face... but now he has a stronger suck and he's a bit bigger (2 months old now) so most of the time I don't need to hold my breast or the babe. I've tried a zillion positions and this is the ONLY way that nursing in bed works for me. Just keep trying things, I'm sure you'll get it

Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:39 PM   #19
Clare378
Registered Users
seller

This was how I taught my NB to latch! I did sidelying in the hospital despite the protests from the nurses, who swore that one can only BF fully awake, sitting up, with a boppy, etc.

I would lie on my left side, cradle the baby in my left arm, and present the left breast. With my right hand in a C-shape, I would hold my left breast in a sandwich hold to get the latch.

My NB barely nursed the first couple days because she was too sleepy. But the sidelying thing established the latch and guaranteed that I got some sleep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoamama View Post
Im the type of person that NEEDS about 6 good hours of sleep to FUNCTION during the day. so sleep is a must!
I don't know if 6 hours of good sleep is even possible in the first month - certainly not in a row.
Clare378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 PM   #20
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare378 View Post
This was how I taught my NB to latch! I did sidelying in the hospital despite the protests from the nurses, who swore that one can only BF fully awake, sitting up, with a boppy, etc.

I would lie on my left side, cradle the baby in my left arm, and present the left breast. With my right hand in a C-shape, I would hold my left breast in a sandwich hold to get the latch.

My NB barely nursed the first couple days because she was too sleepy. But the sidelying thing established the latch and guaranteed that I got some sleep.
totally me. I had trouble in the beginning with my daughter (mostly new BFer frustration with a pushy nurse), then when we finally got comfortable nursing, laying down was all that worked for us. So I vowed to just start DS out that way in the hospital. Only difference is I don't cradle him in the crook of my arm like I did DD. Doing that with her meant slowly removing my arm to get up, and it was frustrating. So o never started that habit with DS. It went perfectly for us, as far as learning to latch goes. I just followed what I knew would work. He's probably nursed with me sitting about ten times in 14 months. Now we still either lay down or he sits on my lap and picks up my boob

Last edited by Dory; 06-15-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote