Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:30 PM   #101
magooken
Registered Users
seller

Re: who do you know that refuses to BF?

Advertisement

Last edited by magooken; 07-02-2010 at 04:31 PM.
magooken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #102
luvmyanklebiters
Registered Users

well ive heard "i didnt have enough milk" , "my milk didnt come in" , "she wouldnt take to it" , "it was too hard" , i could go on and on first off very few women actually have the "no milk production" problem ( i know it does happen and i could never imagine what those mama go thru) but if you take my group of say 10 friends and 8 of them say they had NO milk? i mean really cumon people yes its hard to breastfeedand i quit way to early on with all my other kids,but i didnt make up excuses i just simply said i was done.the first i was selfish and just didnt wanna anymore,the second she was lactose intollerant and i didnt know i could cut it out of my diet and keep it from her,i just assumed my milk would have lactose and therefore harm her*silly me* so instead of asking i just quit cuz i really didnt wanna work at it,my third i didnt wanna pump so i quit when i went back to work.this time around i have stuck it out through pumping for work,lactose problems,other food problems,and many more hurdles.. weve been thru the ringer but by-golly were still goin and i aint stoppin no time soon!!!
luvmyanklebiters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #103
mamatara
Registered Users

Oh my goodness... I'm just amazed at some of these real life reasons! People amaze me sometimes (and not in a good way). One woman I know who was prego at the same time as me and had her girl 2 weeks after I did was so surprised when I asked her if she was still BFing when she came back to work. She said "Oh no, I stopped that. I couldn't deal w/ pumping at work and all that" -- which also made me frustrated because people think if you don't want to pump during the day that you have to completely stop BFing -- you can totally daytime wean and still nurse mornings and nights!
mamatara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #104
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by descrstn View Post
Breastfeeding made my boobs awesome. They went up to a D cup from a small C (B+? LOL) And they never went down. I'm not much heavier either. They are up to DD now and I am wondering what will be the permanent size when we wean.

It doesn't mess your boobs up.
while I do think this is a very stupid reason not to bf.. I feel like it made mine not so pretty.. that's just my opinion though.. Mine got bigger while bfing then smaller.. but I guess each mama is different!!

There were people at my old job who thought it was "too much work" or just didn't want to try.. I was the minority and it was a CHILDREN's hospital.. I mean really nurses should know better!! anyhow..
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #105
Apathy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My cousin, whose mother bf her and all 3 of her siblings (for at least 2 years each!) refused to bf because her MIL "made" her give the baby formula. My mil would have bought formula for the first 2 if we had asked and she still didn't try to get me to not bf.
Apathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:37 AM   #106
Five Green Beans
Registered Users
Formerly: mommalilac
seller

My Mood:

I have heard it all.. it hurts, my husband wants my boobs to be only for him, my boobs are to big, I have to go to work, I want to be able to drink..etc..

unless their is a MEDICAL reason that prevents your from nursing I think the rest of the excuses are lame at best.

My cousin has severe seizures and has to take a boat load of not safe for nursing meds she is the only person I know who has a medical reason. She also has some donated milk that she will use in the beginning and I gave her another 200oz recently but at some point she will have to supplement (she is due in July). But at least she is trying to do what is best for her baby.
Five Green Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #107
KassieP
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pretty much all of the people a I associate with... my friend that is pregnant right now... a few weeks behind me says is disgusting.... How? I don't get it....doing what is best for your baby is disgusting??
KassieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:56 AM   #108
crystaldawn_23
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatara View Post
Oh my goodness... I'm just amazed at some of these real life reasons! People amaze me sometimes (and not in a good way). One woman I know who was prego at the same time as me and had her girl 2 weeks after I did was so surprised when I asked her if she was still BFing when she came back to work. She said "Oh no, I stopped that. I couldn't deal w/ pumping at work and all that" -- which also made me frustrated because people think if you don't want to pump during the day that you have to completely stop BFing -- you can totally daytime wean and still nurse mornings and nights!
I know a lot of mamas that think the same thing about pumping/work etc. My cousin was gung ho into nursing her baby and about 5 weeks after she delivered called me and asked me how to stop cause she was going back to work... I said "uhh pump, and nurse at home" she insisted she would not pump so I suggested nursing at least at home after work/weekends etc... she said "oh no I'm just gonna wean" well her baby has a million allergies, he's been to the dermatologist, changed formulas multiple times etc... she was complaining to me last week about the cost of formula... I said "yup you never knew how much that breastmilk was really worth did you?? LOTS of money going down the drain" not to mention the fact that her baby could have been saved from biopsies of these "lesions" after starting one of the many formulas they tried. I told her to try to relactate and she laughed lol.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #109
MyLovely
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbiemama View Post
loooooove all the responses!! glad i'm not alone in the "you're not BF'ing because WHY?!!?!?!?" debate! right now i'm on this total "de-sexualization of breasts" kick. their SOUL (yes, i meant to spell it that way) PURPOSE it to profide nourishment and comfort to your children, NOT be to idolized and sexualized. granted, i do enjoy that my hubby loves them so much, but do have them used as a sexual pawn in advertising, media, just out there is sickening to me. WE NEED A REVOLUTION! PUT THE BREAST BACK IN IT'S PLACE!!

I you! I'm 20 and in college, so whenever a jerk college guy makes a nasty comment about some girl's "nice rack", essentially demeaning breasts to his sexual playthings, I quickly retort that the only natural function a breast has is that it feeds and nourishes a child...anything sexual is just an added perk. In fact, biologically speaking, the entire reason men are attracted to breasts is because they are a sign of fertility and will be used to feed his offspring!

Sadly, I don't know anybody IRL that really breastfeeds, as in exclusive and full-term. My SIL combo-feeds for like six months, my aunt BFed hers for about six months. Everyone else, even my mom, jumped straight to formula. Thankfully, my mom's lack of breastfeeding was solely due to lack of information, and she's always encouraged me to nurse. In fact, she told me recently that if she was having babies today and could do it over, she'd have us at a free-standing birth center and nurse for at least a year, probably 18 months or so.

It does make me worry though, when I have my own kids. I'll attend LLL meetings beforehand and do everything short of selling my soul to the devil to nurse with no formula for at least two years, hopefully at least three. It's just not optional for me.

Last edited by MyLovely; 06-20-2010 at 08:00 PM.
MyLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #110
sandy_dandy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KassieP View Post
Pretty much all of the people a I associate with... my friend that is pregnant right now... a few weeks behind me says is disgusting.... How? I don't get it....doing what is best for your baby is disgusting??
I know... someone at work (who nursed her own baby) said she thought it was kind of gross. I said, "well you drink milk from a cow's nipple, is that any more gross?" She said all milk grosses her out, but she nursed for 1 year because it was best for the baby.

I said that much grosser things have come out of my body than milk. No one had a response to that!

Hi! I'm Sandy, Rob's wife (7/06) & mommy to Eddie (9/09) and Katelyn (9/12).
Let me convert your bras to nursing bras! WAHM store open now! IHA/ISO
Independent Scentsy Family Consultant - love owning my own business!
sandy_dandy is offline   Reply With Quote