Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help mommas!

Ok so here's the deal. My 7 yr old came home from school with a birthday party invite for a kid in his class. How does this work? Do I take him and drop him off or am I expected to go and stay with him? I have 3 other kids so I can't exactly stay with him but he REALLY wants to go. I don't want to call the mom and seem stupid and ask her but I've never done this before.

Also...what do I buy a 7yr old? I know what my kids like but my kids aren't like other kids.

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help mommas!

Awwww, I remember my twins' first real parties that they stayed at! It is an uncomfortable thing when you really don't know what their protocal is ya know??

I would RSVP, ask whether or not you should plan on staying and let her know you're preferance if you WANT to stay w/ him or vice versa. If he wants to stay alone I would just let him stay. Maybe if you have a cell phone you can leave the # w/ your DS on a post-it in his pocket or something and if he wants to go or even just wants you to come back you can. Stay somewhat close by in location but be prepared for him to LOVE IT. I think by 2nd grade most parents were dropping their kids off for parties which we were fine with. It really depends on the child and the parents throwing the party, sometimes I just get a bad vibe and stay.

ETA: Ask the mom when you RSVP if there is anything in particular that he's really fond of right now, like Diego or wild animal toys. LOL I usually try to do a gift & a cheap age level book. Good luck!

Last edited by TwinKristi; 05-07-2007 at 02:52 PM.
TwinKristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks, this is so new for me! My 9 yr old never brings home invites. Like I said, I have 3 other kids so I can't exactly stay..but he really wants to go.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
kocho
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you know the child and/or parents?

I left my son at a party last summer, but it was with real close friends of mine. (He's much younger than yours.) We got two invitations from kids in his preschool class and I had mixed emotions. The one was impossible because it conflicted with a family event and I kinda spaced on the other so he missed it. oops

My Avon Earn giftcards with Swagbucks My Blog - Change Jar Blog
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
MrsTorres
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't know any of the kids in his class. I know alot of parents wont leave their kids with people they dont know..which is why I kinda wonder how this works. I mean, it's just not fair that because he has siblings that he can't go, but I can't take them with me and I have no one to keep them.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
Melissa~BHS
B/S/T with caution~ Ignoring attempts to resolve FSOT issue.

My Mood:

I really think it depends on the party and the feel you get from speaking with the mother. At 7 years old, I would be hesitatnt to allow my child to stay at a party where I didn't know the adults in charge. As you, I have other children as well - so I understand your dilemma. I would just call the mother of the child who is having the party, and ask questions. Ask her what the plans are for the party - and tell her that you are hesitant because you don't know many of the other parents and have never left your child at a situation such as this. She will probably understand and will let you know the plans for the party, etc. Your child will probably be invited to more parties, so this is a great opportunity to get to know other parents. I would just call her and be honest about your concerns. If she acts like a jerk then that is a sign that your child probably shouldn't go.
If I were hosting a party for my child and a parent called and had concerns such as yours, I would understand and go out of my way to reassure them, or probably just end up inviting them all to stay!
Good luck.

Melissa~BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #7
suebe333
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My daughter is seven and we had her party this year and went to 4 other parties I was nice and on her invite I wrote down" drop 'em off or stay for cake ".. just because of that problem.. .. I noticed that most of the Moms wanted the kid to be dropped off and picked up at a certain time..I stayed at 2 of the parties with the baby because it was at a public place that we could just wander around.. and dropped her off at 1 and actually took all 3 kids to the 4th party.YOu just gotta do whatever you think feels right and if you opt to drop him off and then don't feel right about it when you get there just stay and grin and bear it hope this helps you a little any way..