Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-08-2010, 09:06 PM   #21
Registered Users
Re: 5-6 weeks pregnant, empty sac?

I had an US and 5 weeks and the sac was empty, had another at 11w6d and there's a healthy baby in there with a strong heartbeat. it's hard to knwo for sure, it could just be too early to see, or it could be a blighted ovum....I agree with pp's, too early to really come to any conclusion. thinking sticky bean thoughts for your friend.

tamesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #22
Registered Users

Blighted ovum is possible, I have had one. But its far too early for that diagnosis. Usually blighted ovum means a completely empty, sometimes misshapen and too small for dates gestational sac. Her HCG levels would be too low for dates and rising too slowly as well.

As I mentioned, I had early (6wk) u/s's with two of my kids, my oldest ds and the youngest. Both times all we saw was a very small sack and the halo of a yolk sac. Both are actually very positive signs. I did a little research and found out that there's almost never a yolk sac present in a blighted ovum. We think that the reason that they couldn't see a fetal pole or hb that early in my pregnancies because of the way my uterus is tipped. The techs had a very hard time seeing all the way to the back of my uterus when I was early-pregnant and I had to practically stand on my head to get the shots they did get, even by transvaginal u/s. We were able to see a baby and a hb with all of our babies by week 7-8 when we had the follow-up u/s's, with a normal abdominal u/s. Tell her not to give up hope!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #23
Registered Users
Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:

Originally Posted by RebekahG77 View Post
Sometimes at 5-6 wks it's just too early to see anything. It may end up in a miscarriage, but it also may be fine if she has another u/s in a few weeks.
VERY common to see nothing but a sac at this stage. Uterus shape can have something to do with it...
Originally Posted by justjess View Post
when i was 8-9 wks and had an US they cld barely see a speck in there, ended up baby was hiding and since my uterus is tilted they had a hard time getting a glimpse. however the next time he was VERY present! wishing your friend luck!!!
This was my second pregnancy, and third. I did US on myself (worked for an OB, she was fine with us using the machine) at 5 weeks and saw nothing but a sac on both attempts. Boss tried again two weeks later and there was baby, hiding behind some uterus.

Tell her to wait it a bit, time WILL tell.
Hi, I'm Brittney
Wife to one amazing man.
Mom to FOUR amazing blessings.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #24
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: 5-6 weeks pregnant, empty sac? UPDATE!

updated in first post
Jen=mummy to L and S and A, my birthday thief, and one little baby-not-to-be 14/2/14
I sell patterns for OSFM covers and fitted diapers, please check out
jeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #25
Registered Users
My Mood:

Really sorry to hear that Jen. I would wait too (and did) for the natural m/c over an imediate D&C. Just have her watch for signs of infection, but really she should be fine to wait a few weeks. I have a freind that had a BO with her first pg but didn't even know it till after she m/c'ed. Her OB didn't do u/s till 12 weeks and for her that was over Christmas time. She ended up m/c'ing Christmas day. She did just fine waiting it out obviously cause she didn't even know what was going on. Huge hugs to your friend. I feel terrible for her and was going through the exact same thing this time last year.
~ JenV ~
Wife to Brian (6/03) Mommy to:
"A" (4/06) "K" (2/08) "M" (7/10) "T" (11/12)
jenvbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:25 AM   #26
Registered Users

My ultrasound at 5 weeks they found the sac nothing else. They scheduled me for another one at 6 weeks 5 days and they found a heartbeat (the tech said it was the earliest she had ever found one- but before she found it told me not to be alarmed if they found nothing at all that it may still be too small to see. I think they had the baby measured at 3mm)
champatlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #27
Registered Users
My Mood:

I went in for my 8 week appt and when doc couldn't find an hb, he ordered a transvaginal u/s. There were two sacs present but not hbs in either. Sacs were measuring about 6 weeks but I KNEW that wasn't correct. We waited 2 weeks and the sacs grew but still empty. This was the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and with traveling 5 hours and being out of town for those 5 days, I didn't want to miscarry during all the festivities. My doc gave me all the options and I opted for the D&C. It wasn't as scary as I thought (the drugs induced some pretty hilarious comments out of me I guess) and I felt more comfortable to enjoy my holiday.
Sorry to hear about your friend. Good news is that I was pregnant less than 8 weeks labor (yeah-probably should have waited a bit longer) and my DS is 22 months. I found myself pregnant again without any issue.
IMO it's just nature's way of ensuring our babies are healthy by helping the body to recognize when development isn't going along normally.
Sarah - Mamma to "O" 04/03/06, "K" 08/24/08, "O" 07/07/10 & "K" 10/21/13
Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 AM   #28
Registered Users
My Mood:

I had a blighted ovum with my last pregnancy and it was devistating. My dr gave me the option to have a d&c or take a pill that would help me miscarry naturally. Well, after 2 weeks and 3 rounds of that medicine and still not miscarrying...I decided to go with the d&c. God forbid...If it ever happened again...I would go for the d&c right away. The waiting to miscarry was definitely far worst than just having the proceedure done so I could move on. to your friend
I'm Pam - WISH I could be a SAHM...Mommy to Brian 12/7/07 and Morgan 11/12/10 , married to my soulmate
pamnkevin is offline   Reply With Quote