Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
lecialefty
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mastitis

I had it when dd was 3 weeks old. Moist heat before nursing + nursing on the infected side first every time, every two hours, and pumping afterwards fixed mine, no need for antibiotics. My temp got up to 102 I think. Hope you get to feeling better, it's the pits.

Advertisement

lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
dairyfarmermama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would just nurse all day if possible and massage your boobie.
dairyfarmermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #13
kristina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I came down with it a few weeks ago. I spent a good hour in a hot hot shower and massaged the infected side and cleared it out myself. I woke up feeling MUCH better.

Good luck, I hope it clears up soon for you!
kristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #14
wolffie
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the input mamas! I decided to start the antibiotics b/c I just wasn't feeling any better. I did two full days of antibiotics and am feeling 100% better. I think it's a combo of the meds and nursing like crazy and keeping the infected boob empty. I don't think I'm going to finish the complete course of antibiotics though. I'm usually try to avoid medication when possible.
Mama to ds '08, dd '10, due w/#3 5/13! wife to Missing my angels 6/07, 10/07, 3/12
Let's swag! SWAG friends!
wolffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
purpledayz
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffie View Post
Thanks for all the input mamas! I decided to start the antibiotics b/c I just wasn't feeling any better. I did two full days of antibiotics and am feeling 100% better. I think it's a combo of the meds and nursing like crazy and keeping the infected boob empty. I don't think I'm going to finish the complete course of antibiotics though. I'm usually try to avoid medication when possible.
It's never a good idea to stop taking antibiotics mid course. What doesn't kill them, makes them stronger. What are you taking and for how long? Maybe you just need 5 days instead of 7-10?
purpledayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #16
greyidmom
Registered Users

I've had mastitis over ten times with this nursling (he's 15 months now). It's awful. About half of the time, I end up needing antibiotics, which I HATE. I did discover that at the first sign, I could take a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar every hour until the symptoms subsided. I mixed it in orange juice to cut the bitterness. The ACV flushes your system. And I nursed, nursed, nursed. The pump can make it worse, so I would avoid it. Hot compresses during nursing can help draw the infection out.
greyidmom is offline   Reply With Quote