Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #21
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Vegan mommy question, pls look!!

I just wanted to add...

When we were vegan (me and 2 kids) I stressed at first about their protein intake. You know, that is the first thing people ask, that or how they get calcium, lol. I was writing an article for a local organic newsletter on how bad excessive protein is for you and decided to actually count the grams of protein my children got everyday for a week. EVERY day the were over the recommended amount. Just from rice, oatmeal, beans (kids loved black beans and kidney beans), peanut/almond butter, bread... I was amazed. So, I would just log a couple days of meals and see where your little one stands. You might be surprised (especially if he is getting dairy) to see how much protein he really is getting. It adds up really quick!

Good luck

Homeschooling Mama to Julian (11/12/98) , Sheherazade (11/13/00) , Evander (07/26/07) and Finn (07/18/09)
Wife to my best friend and soul mate (08/17/04)
eirbjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:50 PM   #22
Registered Users
My Mood:

Cheese or peanut butter are good ways. Beans are really good too.
Angie Luckiest Lady in the world. Married to SAHD Justin , Mama to Jaden 10/10/03 and triplets Jeremiah , Jaren , Giavanna 09/15/05 and Gabrielle 08/12/13. We are one big, happy, Jesus loving family!!
Shadowwolf549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #23
Registered Users
Formerly: happyve**n
My Mood:

I haven't read all the replies, but my vegan kiddos love almond (and cashew, and peanut) butter, avocadoes, tofu, chickpeas, lentils, rice, oats...pretty much everything. But most foods have protein, so try to find some with healthy fats as well.

Find creative ways to incorporate these foods. For instance, my toddler loves peanut butter/avocado/grated carrot sandwiches. My older son (who's my sweets lover) enjoys almond butter and chopped date sandwiches. They both like tofu sandwiches and chickpea sandwiches (mash chickpeas with mayo). I'll also run coconut, nut butters, and chopped dates through the food processor and roll into balls for little "candies" that are full of protein and healthy fats.
Shayla ~ Freebirthin' mama to Holdekins, Pants, Pins, and Beans.

Boheme is offline   Reply With Quote