Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2007, 01:07 PM   #11
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need carseat advice--Britax Marathon too big for my minivan????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Can you move the captain's seat forward a little so it does not hurt her legs? I have the Evenflo Triumph in a captains seat and can move the seat up a *little* before it hits the back of the drivers seat.
The Triumph is already touching my seat. However, I wonder if I could scoot Aydin's seat forward and put her on the passenger side of the back row? It would make it tough for my girls to squeeze through to the back (since they can't squeeze through on the driver's side.) I doubt I would be able to fit, though, and I do need to go back there on occasion to help Kieran buckle her seat, or to untwist Alisa's seatbelt, etc. Hmmm.....

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #12
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

Some minivans require that the captains chairs be all the way back for a car seat to be in them. Not sure why, and I don't remember exactly which ones do, but definately read the owners manual for your van before doing this!!
Old 05-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #13
Psychomom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie010307 View Post
Some minivans require that the captains chairs be all the way back for a car seat to be in them. Not sure why, and I don't remember exactly which ones do, but definately read the owners manual for your van before doing this!!
I've never heard that! I will definitely check. Thanks for the heads up. I know right now that they are not all the way back so that my girls can have a little leg room.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
KarenK
Registered Users

I have a Marathon in my minivan too. We put it in the back row once when we were travelling so that the kids could share activities and I could sit next to the baby in the captain's chairs if I needed to feed him.

It was a tight squeeze, just like you're describing and I had a really hard time getting a good, snug fit with the retracting belt (using the middle latch wasn't really an option). She's only 3 but her legs were squished too.

We were considering getting a Regent or Marathon for our 3rd child and rear-facing it but I honestly don't think it will fit in the rearfacing position. It's so dang big.

I LOVE this seat, but it is ginormous.

Sewing is my therapy.
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #15
stayinhomewithmy6
Registered Users
Formerly: stayinhomewithmy5
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
According to the user's guide, the Marathon's height limit is 49 inches.
That's just an estimate. The real height limit is what Kay said - when the tops of the ears are above the top of the seat or the shoulders are above the top harness slots. I post frequently at car-seat.org and know Kay from there. She's very knowledgeable, as are all the techs there! I really think they'd be able to help you out!
We have the Radian and the Boulevard (made by Britax, similar to the Marathon) and I don't think a Radian would make much of a difference for you. It sits lower, but the back is just as high. The back might be a tad narrower, though.
Since 4 yrs and 40 lbs is really the minimum safety-wise for a booster, I'd definitely keep her harnessed for awhile longer.
stayinhomewithmy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:15 AM   #16
pixiepunk
Registered Users
seller

do you have to have the boys in front and the girls in back? maybe you could move your older boy to the back seat, and put your DD in his place? his legs probably aren't as long and wouldn't be squished, and then she'd have plenty of leg room.
pixiepunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:02 AM   #17
Psychomom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiepunk View Post
do you have to have the boys in front and the girls in back? maybe you could move your older boy to the back seat, and put your DD in his place? his legs probably aren't as long and wouldn't be squished, and then she'd have plenty of leg room.
Well, the only reason I wanted the seating arrangement that way was because I have to help my 2 year old buckle/unbuckle, and I didn't want to have to crawl into the back of the van every single time to do this. But, after asking on car-seat.org, I think that this is probably the best solution.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:16 AM   #18
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can the back row seat move back? I find it very odd that it would be that tight. I haven't tried to put my marathon in the back of my van..92, grand voyager, but it fit fine in the back of my moms Ford Aspire and there is no leg room back there practically. Also is the seat reclining? If so you need to make it sit straight up. I can get pics for you just promise no laughter about my dirty carseat lol.
Check those two things.
Hugs,
Old 05-09-2007, 07:24 AM   #19
Psychomom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn View Post
Can the back row seat move back? I find it very odd that it would be that tight. I haven't tried to put my marathon in the back of my van..92, grand voyager, but it fit fine in the back of my moms Ford Aspire and there is no leg room back there practically. Also is the seat reclining? If so you need to make it sit straight up. I can get pics for you just promise no laughter about my dirty carseat lol.
Check those two things.
Hugs,
No, the backseat won't move. I don't know if it matters, but we have the seats that fold down into the floor. I'm going to spend some time today moving the carseats around and I'm going to try to put her behind a captain's chair one more time. I'll get a pic of the lack of space back there, because no one else believes there is that little room. To describe it better, it's more likely her feet that hurt than her legs, because she has to sit with her feet pointing down (like a ballerina) rather than relaxed. If I had to do that for a length of time, I imagine my calves would cramp up. Another suggestion I got was a foam block, maybe I could squish one between the back of the captain's chair and the edge of her bench, and she could just set her feet on that. At any rate, I've got a couple of ideas to work with.

I forgot to add that her seat is straight up.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #20
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh wow! Can the captains chairs move? Gosh when we go van shopping I know where to put our marathon to test it out now.

I agree that would hurt to have to have your toes pointed down all the time!

I hope you can get it figured out!