Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #1
MommyMeads
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you have CD a newborn b4...

So I got my first newborn fluff in the mail. I have never CD a newborn b4 just DD2 who was about 15M when we started. So I got some fitted diapers and they just seem like they aren't very thick, and the inserts that go with seem to only be about two layers thick. Is that normal? Or should I make some thicker inserts? I know newborns get changed a lot and they don't pee as much as my 18M old but I don't want to wait until LO is here and find out the fitted diapers leak.

Advertisement

MommyMeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #2
revolekim
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: If you have CD a newborn b4...

I'm currently CDing my nearly 4-week-old DS, and since I didn't start CDing DS1 until he was over a year, this is my first time CDing a newborn too. I actually like fitteds and covers better than anything else with him. The fitteds are pretty thin, and he soaks them pretty quick, but we haven't had problems with leaking. He has to get changed often anyway since he's EBF and has a stinky diaper pretty much every time he eats. But we have no problem going 2 hours in one NB fitted (although the MPBBA NB fitteds are the only ones that still fit him). We have had leaks with BG AIO's and a BG OS pocket, but no leaks with fitteds or PFs. Hope that helps!

Liz , wife to Mike and semi-crunchy mama to 3 going on 4 happy, healthy little ones: Gehrig the Jedi Knight (04/08), Logan a.k.a. "Pigpen" (06/10), princess pumpkin Katie Rose (10/12), and chipmunk Lexi (06/14)
::::::
revolekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
hypmommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My faaaaaavorite newborn cloth diapering system from day one to about three weeks is preemie prefolds and bummis original newborn cover. This is not the same as bummis wuper brite or the froggy print. It is the original lite wrap with no laundry tabs. It is by far the smallest and trimmest cover I could find. Then the baby graduated to a size small bummis original with a newborn prefold by about 3 to 4 weeks. My babies are long and about 7 pounds. I love these because they fit teeny tiny under the cord. Here is the link for the cover I am talking about. Love love love these! The best part about these is that they are such a good fit I can wrap around the prefold and get away with not using a snappi. I just tighten up the cover a bit.
http://www.bummis.com/ca/en/bummi-original.php

HTH
hypmommy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
madigan
Registered Users

Like Hypmommy3, we used PFs and Bummis- though we used mainly super brites and whisper wraps-- and di use a snappi. Leaks were seldom and washing was a breeze!
madigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
gerka528
Registered Users
seller

With my last DD I used newborn Sandies. I thought they felt really thin, but a newborn really gets changed so often that you don't need tons and tons of absorbency. Plus newborns piddle throughout the day, unlike older toddlers who generally flood their diaper. I wouldn't worry about how thin they feel, just make sure you have plenty to change at least every 2 hours.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:32 AM   #6
MommyMeads
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am ording prefolds and flats to fill in my stash I just got some fitted diapers for a great price for DH to help with changes. He isn't to sure on how to use a snappi. We use mostly prefolds/flats for DD who is 18M but I have "easy" diapers for when DH is alone with her so wanted the same for this LO. Thanks!
MommyMeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:52 AM   #7
alishasmom
Registered Users

I agree a newborn gets changed like hourly! lol my son pooped like 12x a day for the first 3 months.
Fitteds and prefolds are great for the beginning
Follow the cloth diaper challenge! http://clothchallenge.blogspot.com
alishasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
elizabeth429
Registered Users
seller

Yeah the fitteds are pretty thin, but they get changed so often it's not a huge deal. Bummis Super Brites are awesome from day 1! They're so tiny. We have a good mix of fitteds, prefolds, and AIO's. I like the prefolds and fitteds for home, and the AIO's for going out and for night changes.

Our Blog: Small Hands Inspired.
elizabeth429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
mickysmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we will be using PFs with newborn due around DEC 10th. ive heard great things about PFs and flats on newborns.
mickysmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
alishasmom
Registered Users

Prefolds are cheap which make them a great newborn option. Newborns = lots of changes and stained diapers as well.
The one thing with prefolds is they don't hold in the explosive newborn poop. You will need a good cover with leg gussets to hold in the poop Make sure to have enough covers, they do get messy!
Follow the cloth diaper challenge! http://clothchallenge.blogspot.com
alishasmom is offline   Reply With Quote