Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
generous
Registered Users
seller

Cloth Diapering Question

We recently started back up cloth diapering again with our 19 month old son. Sometimes his cloth diapers have a almost ammonia smell after changing him; they have been stripped, I just do not know what this is from or how to prevent it...

Advertisement

generous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
serendipity10410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cloth Diapering Question

I had this issue with my pockets (microfiber inserts, especially) until I switched to Tide HE detergent in my Front-loader washing machine. Also, you may want to try stuffing pockets with prefolds or using more natural fibers such as cotton, which come cleaner than hemp, MF and bamboo. Good luck!

and not-so- newbie L 11/10

serendipity10410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
howmanykids
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have the same issue when i use ALL free and clear. I now use TIde F &C, and the smell is gone!! However, every couple of months, i have to strip and use a load of ALL due to leaking issues. Tide gets the stink out, but leaves some in the dipe.

Sara~ What detergent are you goign to use on the new bean?

Katie, Wife to my WONDERFUL Hubby, Roger, (7/01/06) SAHM to Christopher (7/25/07) and to Patrick (3/3/09), and Little Miss Maggie Jo (10/3/2010)
howmanykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #4
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hee Hee, I had this problem when ds was about that age.....I chalked it up to his urine just being really concentrated. Because we stripped, switched detergents, ect....and it still persisted for a bit and then eventually just went away.

We used sportwash and all free and clear, neither detergent seemed to be responsible in our case.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
serendipity10410
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howmanykids View Post
I have the same issue when i use ALL free and clear. I now use TIde F &C, and the smell is gone!! However, every couple of months, i have to strip and use a load of ALL due to leaking issues. Tide gets the stink out, but leaves some in the dipe.

Sara~ What detergent are you goign to use on the new bean?
I plan to try Tide F&C HE for the first few months, when her skin is most sensitive. FX she does not have any enzyme sensitivities! I have also used Purex F&C in my FLer but didn't feel like the dipes came as clean as I like.

and not-so- newbie L 11/10

serendipity10410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
lele0803
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

are you having any leaking or repelling? If not, stripping won't do as much as a really deep clean will.

Diaper Deep Clean Routine
Start with rinsed dipes to get the pee and solids off. With the hottest water you have and double the regular amount of detergent recommended for cloth diapers (I use two scoops of Charlie's) wash with the highest water level and the longest agitation you can. Leave the lid up so after the agitation is done it can soak for 2-3 hours. Then go back and reset the washer to the beginning of the cycle so it agitates again but close the lid so it drains and rinses. Then keep repeating hot washes and warm or cold rinses until you see no suds in the hot wash.

As they get older and use less diapers, most of the time they get washed less. Try decreasing your time between washes to help keep the stinkies away! GL!

lele0803 is offline   Reply With Quote