Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
Malakaiii
Registered Users
seller

Re: My 4 year old REALLY wants to know how the baby get's out...

I'm with the "just tell her the truth" group. Most kids will ask a few follow-up questions if you are open with them, and she will likely ask the SAME question a few times to set it straight in her head.

If she starts playing with 'birthing' her dolls, that's just her way of working out the information she's learned. I can't think of any adult who is going to be shocked or surprised that babies are born through the vagina, so if she talks about it, it won't be a big deal.

You're going to get to explain lots of sex stuff to her later, might as well start with this! What will be really fun is when she asks how the baby got in there...

Advertisement

Malakaiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
Hunny Bunny Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: KalleS
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do like Le Ann's birth canal idea....might be a bit easier to explain since it would then be seperate from where you pee...KWIM?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found Youtube birth videos plus The Business Of Being Born & another one. Both dds can tell you all about how babies come out of your vagina and it also helped because they are now used to the idea that women can make REALLY loud sounds at birth & it's okay. At first they were freaked out asking what's wrong, and now dd will tell you that some women yell a lot to help them relax when having a baby . We also have a medical anatomy book here for questions like that. I'd rather have them know the medical terms & info than made-up names & things that I have to correct later. I just don't add more than they need--like dd, who is a science buff, knows about sperm & eggs making the baby... but she has no idea how said sperm gets there. And won't for a while.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #14
rachdavi
Registered Users
seller

My 4 year old son assumed that the baby will "pop out" of my belly button, so I told him the truth. Except that I'm a chicken and don't use the word "vagina," just "bottom." Kids do usually seem to do the best if you just tell them the truth. The biggest problem for us wasn't explaining how the baby is born, but where the baby comes from. He asks all the time, "Mommy, I know that God put that baby in your tummy, but HOW did he do it?" The best I've come up with is, "Well, he took a little piece of Mommy and a little piece of Daddy and put them together in Mommy's belly to make a baby." He seems satisfied with that for the time being!
Old 06-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #15
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:

My DD is just over 3 ye.ars old- she know that babies come out of your vagina. She told an old man at the pharmacy that babies come out of your ca-gina (her word) and fall into the toilet...LOL! I realized at that point that we needed to have some more detailed converstation. I've also had 2 previous sections, and she know all about sections and why they are needed... It's SO not a big deal to me if she goes around telling people this for a day or two until she forgets or it becomes less exciting! I'm all about using correct terminology and not candy coating things- BUT, we only really offer information that is being sought. I figure is she is asking, she is old enough to know to an extent. GL!

ETA: Sorry- Due Date Crashing!

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #16
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasmama1005 View Post
I do like Le Ann's birth canal idea....might be a bit easier to explain since it would then be seperate from where you pee...KWIM?
birth canal is a nice euphemism but the vagina and urethra are already separate...

Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
luckymum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I told my DS the truth re my C-sec (I even showed him the incision). He was fine with it and he is a very sensitive little boy Stick to the truth just keep it simple.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
Malakaiii
Registered Users
seller

On a related note: An acquaintance of mine was told by his parents that he was a "wish baby"... they wished really really hard and he appeared. It's a cute thing to tell a kid, but his parents never revisited the conversation and he was a mighty confused and embarrassed preteen when he found out the truth...
Malakaiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #19
Esthersmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all your input ladies! You've given me a lot to think about!

I like the idea of explaining about the birth canal etc.

For personal reasons, I won't post here why the concept of blunt truth and technical words is really hard for me... So I guess I want to be honest, but perhaps using different words... I don't know! I am happy to explain in PM if you are having a hard time understanding!
Rosie, English born and bred, Wife to Josh, Mama to her all American daughters, the delightful little lady Esther Rose (April 06) , Sweet cuddly monkey Rachel (August 08) and sweet little Joel Athanasius (Nov 2010)
Esthersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #20
chello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my SIL told her kids that boys have two holes in their bums, one for poop and one for pee, and girls have three holes, one for poop, one for pee, and one for babies.