Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #21
Lucysmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My 4 year old REALLY wants to know how the baby get's out...

Rosie! Don't be silly you don't owe any of us explanations of what you are and aren't comfortable with There were lots of great ideas on here and I am sure you will come up with what works best for your family and your daughter and I can't wait to see how it goes! I am getting out of this conversation because DS is too young to even really understand there is a baby in there. I tell her all the time, but I know it doesn't really make sense to her. Won't she be surprised!!

Advertisement

Old 06-28-2010, 03:28 PM   #22
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok I only skimmed through everyone comments, but personally my 5 yr old son was very curious and has a very active imagination...I checked out videos on Youtube some are graphic and some not so much...I let him watch with me the ones that were less graphic and explained about the noises some of the women were making so that when I have DS2 at home he won't be afraid if mommy gets loud...Also when ever the babies were born and started to cry and got handed to their mamas I told him how cool that was...Baby was out and glad to see it's mama...The videos I watch are almost exclusively HB Waterbirths and very mellow in general. So he's seen a few babies born from strange not terribly revealing angles. And guess what now if I'm watching a video he climbs up next to me and says "that is so cool mom" when they put baby in mama's arms...I'm sure he'll pretend play a little when I'm not looking, but it's harmless and if you want DD there with you I would suggest you show her so she doesn't get worried or shocked...
You really can't hurt them by telling them the truth in this matter. You'd be surprised by how well she'll handle it...
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #23
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

just a couple videos without full view...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlwQl...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoIiV...eature=related
This one is really fast an unassisted...

my favorite video out of the group and the first one I let DS1 watch...
Hope this helps...you do not need to explain your reasons for using separate terms...
GL mama
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:14 PM   #24
sjebillings
Registered Users

My Mood:

When I told DD she come out of my tummy with surgery she asked if the baby will come out covered in blood and guts! I think I'd tell her the truth if I was having a VBAC but really, I would find it hard too, and we've always been very open with her about her body parts.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #25
*Willow*
Registered Users
Formerly: MadreJoyce
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakaiii View Post
What will be really fun is when she asks how the baby got in there...
We got this question from ODS a few weeks back, and I answered him by saying God put the baby there made with lots of love, and he remembered when his younger brother was in there, so far he hasn't asked any more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachdavi View Post
My 4 year old son assumed that the baby will "pop out" of my belly button, so I told him the truth. Except that I'm a chicken and don't use the word "vagina," just "bottom." Kids do usually seem to do the best if you just tell them the truth. The biggest problem for us wasn't explaining how the baby is born, but where the baby comes from. He asks all the time, "Mommy, I know that God put that baby in your tummy, but HOW did he do it?" The best I've come up with is, "Well, he took a little piece of Mommy and a little piece of Daddy and put them together in Mommy's belly to make a baby." He seems satisfied with that for the time being!

I also did the chicken scenario with DS. He asked how the baby comes out, and I said kind of like how a chicken lays an egg. The baby will come out and so will the babys nest. I learned the nest part from a 4yr old little girl at a birth I attended as she watched her sister being born. She asked her mommy what the placenta, cord and stuff was, and while everyone was explaining how it functioned, she said.. "Oh it's the baby's nest".
IT'S A GIRL! #5 Arriving Aug 2014
*Willow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:10 PM   #26
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm an L&D nurse. I once had a pt tell me she told her DS the baby came out a "baby door". He of course asked to see it. So she tells him "No, only the doctor gets to see it....and sometimes Daddy" I almost wet myself trying to keep a straight face!

Keep it simple, but honest. My DD was 2 when I had my twins. She did ask how they got out and we briefly explained the c-section. She then asked if that's how she got out. I told her that she came out of my privates, that was how babies were supposed to come out. I explained the doctor had to take the babies out because her sister was feet first, and she needed to be head first to come out the right way. My DS then went on to say "Is that how I got in there? Head first?" We told God gave her to us. I was laughing so hard I think she forgot what she was asking about. She's 8 now and I just had #4. She still hasn't asked how they got in there again.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #27
luvmyfam
Registered Users

My Mood:

This is what i told my son a couple years ago when i was prego with DD3. I said very nonchalantly (DP??) the baby comes out of the birth canal and i believe he asked where that was and i said again in the same tone, by my bottom. he probably giggeled or something. I always just answer their questions as simply and basically as possible and really try to not give more details than needed.

I have been married to my marine for 10 wonderful years and spend my time knitting and happily homeschooling our 9 yo girl, 6 yo boy, 18 month old girl and our newest addition arrived 30 days early on Sept 23 at 1:05 pm weighing 5 lbs 11oz.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote