Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Breathable covers

Hello mamas,
I would like to try wool or fleece to get some air to my babe's bum, but I'm not sure which way to go.

I am concerned about leaks with fleece. I had a WAHM fleece soaker before and it leaked, leaked, leaked! Maybe it was more a problem with the fitted (also WAHM and not very absorbent) than the cover, my son is a heavy wetter. I'm not sure.

My concern with wool is washing... I know you don't have to wash them often unless they get soiled but my son has some pretty yucky poops these days and they don't just roll of the diaper into the toilet, and often escape the diaper into the cover.

I don't want to spend an arm and a leg (feel free to let me know if you're selling any good used covers). My son is pretty big. He is 2 yo and around 35 lbs. with chubby thighs and belly. Any suggestions concerning wool vs. fleece vs. PUL, care of these types of covers, and your favorite brands would be so helpful and very much appreciated.

Justine

Advertisement

justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
aubreyaks
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Breathable covers

If the poo leaks out a lot, I wouldn't do wool just because you generally are supposed to handwash them, though there are some that can go in the washing machine. If your fleece was leaking, possibly it was not the highest quality fleece. I made a couple of my own covers (they're ugly, but they are AMAZING) out of malden mills fleece from Wazoodle.com I love them for nighttime. My nighttime solution consists of: a fitted made out of a prefold, a microfiber doubler, then my ugly fleecy cover. No leaks anymore and I have changed MANY wet sheets lol. If you are going to purchase, I would just check and see what the fleece is made of . If it is Malden Mills, you should be good to go.
aubreyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love fleece, but it has to be a nice thick, high quality fleece for me not to get leaks. Malden Mills fleece is the best, but you will pay a little more for covers with it...but to me it is worth it as they function better IMO.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
justineybean
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have seen some fleece listed as 100, 200, or 300 weight. What is the best for diapers? And when you refer to Malden Mills fleece, do you know which it is? Also, does it have to have more than one layer such as in the heavy wetting area? Thanks!
Justine
justineybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Mrs.Rusty
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

here is the most direct way to get it unless you live near Lawrence Mass
http://www.milldirecttextiles.com/default.asp
Old 06-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
justineybean