Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #11
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3 cm Dilated 80% effaced and my mucus plug came out yesterday early morning...

Oh, and make sure you use clean hands and if you suspect your bags have broken, leave it to your care provider to do!

Advertisement

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 PM   #12
woolmebaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 3 cm Dilated 80% effaced and my mucus plug came out yesterday early morning...

yeah....not gonna try it.

The midwife and nurses had trouble with my cervix because it is still pretty far back and to the right side....

DH is a paramedic in training and a certified EMT but I won't let him touch anything down there for practice either!

Good info though....just not for me. I also have super short fingers so probably wouldn't work anyways.
Joanna WAHM to my Kaikala 12/04 , Walter 08/08, and Grace 07/10 Married to DH Eric!!! Co-sleeping, EBF, CD-ing, thrifty family who are non-circ, delay vax, and trying to be green-er "Yesterday is history, tomorrow a Mystery, today is a gift that is why it is called the Present" - Kung Fu Panda
woolmebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:04 AM   #13
heidi_m
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilymomma View Post
When you cervix gets ready for birth, it will move from a posterior (closer to your back) to anterior position. For me- when my cervix is posterior, I can't reach it. So, it moves forward and then starts getting soft. When it's firm and closed, it will feel similar to the tip of your nose. It starts to feel mushy when it softens, and if you can feel an opening (the os) if means you are slightly dilating.
This is actually the first time (I mean this pregnancy) that I've ever tried... and I tried a couple of times a few days ago but I couldn't feel anything, so this gives me hope!! I did an Internet search on how to do it and read a few things... I didn't have to use any kind of lube (don't have any so I didn't even try), but I did have to contort a bit while sitting on the, eh, throne. I put my left leg up on the trash can and had to lean back and over against the wall, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilymomma View Post
Right now, when I feel it, I can insert a whole finger tip into the os, and the general rule of thumb is that a fingertip is roughly 1cm. And, now I can wiggle my finger a little once it's in the os, and the os feels deeper. I'm guessing I'm at a 2-3.
Now see, this was mine yesterday, so I'm hopeful that I was actually further than a one... I'm just a novice! lol

I do have a prenatal with one of my midwives today, so I'm thinking about having her actually check me and then possibly go ahead and strip my membranes... I feel like a nut for saying that but I think if I go another 8-9 days from now I'll be certifiable! The ctx are driving me NUTS. How did I do this with my two other vaginal birth babies? Maybe I'm getting crazier as I'm getting older??

ELVs, everybody!
heidi_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #14
MyTurntobeMom
Registered Users

interesting...i'm tempted to try but think I may just wind up frightening myself or disappointing myself...no real cxt yet i don't think just bh so I will wait...last week at m/w appt she said I was thinning and about a finger tip, I don't expect another internal until she arrives at the house for the birth so we shall see
MyTurntobeMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #15
heidi_m
Registered Users
seller

Umm, yeahhhhh... speaking of disappointment - had my prenatal today and had the mw check me. My cervix is still thick, though very soft and slightly open like I had found. ARGH, I was so frustrated!! I've already been having fairly regular ctx on a near-daily basis for nearly two weeks, I feel like I'm going to go crazy before this baby is born. I thought maybe by this third time round I'd deal with this with equanimity but that's not how it's working out.

OTOH, she did have my bloody show on her glove when she finished, so we were all kind of excited about that! LOL - now if only it MEANT something!!

Anybody who wants to tell me that a 4th-time mama can efface REALLY fast would receive my eternal gratitude!
heidi_m is offline   Reply With Quote