Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2007, 07:05 AM   #1
Mindi
Its a Mindi thing... you wouldn't understand
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Kid friendly recipes

I'm going to be having 7 kids for supper over the next few weeks and I need some kid friendly recipes. Anybody care to share any?

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
mepool
Registered Users

Re: Kid friendly recipes

No suggestions really, but I will be praying for you! Kids are all so different. I would talk to their parents and see what they usually eat. You could make whatever you want and then have PB & J ready!
Old 05-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Hitchkids
Registered Users

I have to say I would avoid providing different options because then chaos will ensue. Try homemade mac and cheese, i've found all of our kids love anything with beans, spaghetti (messy but a kid favorite), baked ziti, hot dogs, grilled cheese, chicken, meatloaf. I guess I'm saying just about anything that is simple to make so you don't have to spend a lot of time cooking. If you are worried about them not eating enough, just provide 2 side dishes and I'm sure you'll find something everyone will eat.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
ri'smom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How old?? You know what has worked for our little guests (plus it's fun, but I'm dorky and this is what O liked regardless of company or not ) is Dr. Sears' nibble trays. I even went to the dollar store and got a stack of ice cube trays so each kiddo had their own. We had some grade schoolers in the bunch, too. Anyway, we always had less waste and O seemed to try more new stuff/eat better variety. Just an idea.

www.askdrsears.com

Quote:
1. Offer a nibble tray. Toddlers like to graze their way through a variety of foods, so why not offer them a customized smorgasbord? The first tip from the Sears' kitchen is to offer toddlers a nibble tray. Use an ice-cube tray, a muffin tin, or a compartmentalized dish, and put bite-size portions of colorful and nutritious foods in each section. Call these finger foods playful names that a two-year-old can appreciate, such as:

* apple moons (thinly sliced)
* avocado boats (a quarter of an avocado)
* banana wheels
* broccoli trees (steamed broccoli florets)
* carrot swords (cooked and thinly sliced)
* cheese building blocks
* egg canoes (hard- boiled egg wedges)
* little O's (o-shaped cereal)

Place the food on an easy-to-reach table. As your toddler makes his rounds through the house, he can stop, sit down, nibble a bit, and, when he's done, continue on his way. These foods have a table-life of an hour or two.
ri'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:57 PM   #5
fostermomcchr
Registered Users
seller

I like to make hotdog octopus on seaweed

Take a hotdog, cut strips in the dog leaving one inch uncut at one end-make cuts to have eight "legs" on the hotdog. boil hotdog for 2 min, strips will curl like an octopus. stand octopus on seaweed, use ketchup or mustard to make face on the uncut end. seaweed is simply ramean noodles-use green foodcoloring in the water before adding noodles, after noodles have cooked, drain water, add season packet, stir well. put seaweed on plate, stand octopus on seaweed.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:29 AM   #6
Mindi
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

The ages of them all, I think are:

1 1/2
2 1/2
3 1/2
almost 4
5 1/2

4 of them are my own and 2 of them are older so they aren't a biggie to get to eat, but I'm just not totally sure on what to get all the little ones to eat without them playing I think that is going to be my biggest challenge.
One night we are going to make homemade pizza. So that is one idea down.
I did forget to get apples at the store last night though. I need to run and get them. That will be a great snack with the bananas
There will be a simple night of maybe burgers and hot dogs and fries. And another night of just mac and cheese with some veggies/fruit in there.
I'd still love to hear some more ideas. These are great so far
Old 05-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #7
mandikaake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How about these menu's?

Eggs
Toast or Waffles
Breakfast Meat

Hot dogs
baked beans
potato salad

Hamburgers
french fries
fruit

Chicken patty sandwiches or chicken nuggets
mac n cheese
fruit

Frozen Burritoes (not as messy as tacos)
Chips and salsa

Soup
Grilled Cheese

(picnic inside or outdoors)
Baked chicken
biscuits
potato salad

cold cut sandwiches
cheese cubes
fruit

How about making lunchables....
lunchmeat
cheese squares
crackers

Chicken and veggies - Just throw a cut up veggies in a crockpot followed by a chicken. Butter chicken then generously shake on Lawrey's seasoning salt and garlic salt. You may need two crockpots and two chickens to feed your crowd.

Tuna noodle casserole w/garlic toast(here's my recipe)
1 package egg noodles
1/2 package frozen peas
2 cans cream of mushroom
2 cans drained tuna
1 - 3 tsp (to taste) soul seasoning or poultry seasoning
1/2 cup milk
2 tb. butter
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 package croutons

Cook noodles according to package. When they are almost done add in frozen peas so they can thaw. Drain when noodles are cooked through. Add back to pan and add mushroom soup, tuna, seasoning, milk and butter. Pour in a greased 9x13 casserole pan. Sprinkle with cheese then croutons. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes - till heated through and cheese is melted. My kids LOVE this as do people who hate tuna. Serve with Garlic Toast.

I hope that helps some.

Mandi
Old 05-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
Mindi
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

TY!!!!