Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-07-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
Brimarie777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dying your woolies

Has anyone died their wool after it's made? I have a pair of interlock shorties that are dingy and bit stained. I was thinking about dying them to make them look nice again. I don't know if i should try Kool-aid or a real dye. I don't want to shrink them, help!

Advertisement

Brimarie777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Bumby
Registered Users
Formerly: steph_sohier
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dying your woolies

Koolaid and interlock are really hard to mix. I always found it didn't get into the center of the fabric and looked silly. On yarn is a different story though.

Dharma has some nice dyes for wool, but you can try rit or dylon if you are careful. If the wool is a blend with lycra, it should be pre shrunk. If it is 100%, is will continue to shrink if you are too rough with it.

Make sure you use plenty of water, soak in just boiling water and vinegar first for a while to make sure it is totally wet right through.

Mix the dye totally first or you will get spots. Use the hotest water you can and stir. I like using my kitchen sink and bleach it after. I boil a bit pot of water and dump it in, add the dye, stir, add the soaked wool, stir a bunch, add some vinegar, stir some more, rinse in hot, then gradually rinse while changing to cold water or it will shock it. Let air dry, then rinse again. If you put it in a spin cycle before it dries, all the dye will spin out.

I hope that helps.
Bumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
Brimarie777
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So if i put my wool in boiling water it won't shrink? That's what i'm worried about...thanks for the tips! I checked your stuff out and maybe we'll have to order some longies from you this winter!
Bri, (like in desparate housewives, not like the cheese! ) Wife to math teaching, motorcycling, awesome husband and daddy, Bobb and mommy to trouble making but smiley melt your heart Oliver Also, our third parent and furry friend, our chorkie name Rufus!
Did you know you can earn paypal $ with swagbucks? join me here: http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Brimarie777
Brimarie777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
r8chel
Registered Users
seller

If the wool is a blend, it should already be preshrunk and won't shrink anymore. If it is 100% you want to GRADUALLY heat the water. That is why I like to use a pot on the stove and slowly turn the burner up till it's just about ready to boil.

I sucessfully dye with kool-aid, but it's fabric and not already made items.

~Rachel

Wife to Cory (09.25.04) ... Mama to Jaydence (06.06.08) and Levi (11.12.09)
r8chel is offline   Reply With Quote