Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
thirdtimemomma's Avatar
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Munchkin Land Missouri
Posts: 7,409
My Mood:
Flat Mama's, did your wash routine change?

After switching to flats? Im wondering if I can shorten my old prefold routine with flats with out issue..

(gave too much information. I just want to know how it worked for other people)

Advertisement

__________________
Vicki
Wife to 1 SeventhtimeMomma to:
N 7-01, L 12-02, B 7-05, J 2-07, L 12-08, S 10-10, and Q 5-29-12

Last edited by thirdtimemomma; 07-14-2010 at 07:52 PM.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
higginskatie's Avatar
higginskatie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 679
My Mood:
Re: Flat Mama's, did your wash routine change?

If I am doing just flats, yes, I do one less rinse dor sure, depending on how dirty they were to start with. Definitely shortens my drying routine, whether on the line or in the dryer. LOVE THEM!!!! I am thinking of selling off my GMD reds now (is that a sacriledge?)
higginskatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
thirdtimemomma's Avatar
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Munchkin Land Missouri
Posts: 7,409
My Mood:
Re: Flat Mama's, did your wash routine change?

No. That's what Im doing.. well will do..selling off my PF's. One less rinse. is that a prerinse or a post rinse?
__________________
Vicki
Wife to 1 SeventhtimeMomma to:
N 7-01, L 12-02, B 7-05, J 2-07, L 12-08, S 10-10, and Q 5-29-12
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
sandhillcranes's Avatar
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,801
My Mood:
Re: Flat Mama's, did your wash routine change?

hmm...a little confused what you were asking but if you mean does it shorten your dry time---YES. Absolutelypositively. The only thing that can cause a hiccup--is doublers. If you use doublers they might need a little time drying on a rack or line if you are trying to save your dryer time.

ETA: I don't do an EXTRA rinse. I do hot wash/cold rinse bc that's my washer's setting. I don't do anything extra...not before or after. But I do dunk and swish.
__________________
I'm Tia... and I love my family so much they should pay rent in my mind
If I haven't left you feedback, please pm me .
sandhillcranes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
higginskatie's Avatar
higginskatie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 679
My Mood:
Re: Flat Mama's, did your wash routine change?

I meant the post-rinse. I always do the pre since DS1 is a messy pooper and I have no option. I have been trying to change that with different foods, but that's a different post...

Usually I do one pre-wash cold, hot wash w/ detergent followed by the usual rinse, then another full wash/rinse. With flats I just finish with an additional rinse instead of the full cycle. I guess some mamas don't even do that, but I haven't been brave enough yet. Maybe next time I do just flats.
higginskatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
bam281's Avatar
bam281
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: East Greenville, PA
Posts: 421
Re: Flat Mama's, did your wash routine change?

sorry ladies, my question has nothing to do with washing, but i saw Flats the other day and am wondering the obvious. How do they really compare to PF?? Are they trimmer say like a sposie. I got my son toddler sized ones becasue I needed the extra wing to get around his chubby tummy, but when I sanppi them he walks like a cowboy and to trifold them in a cover he looks like he has a huge front butt.
Do I have to change them every 1-2hrs or are they absorbent?
__________________
Bambi
Wife to matt, mommy to 2 beautiful girls and a handsome little man
bam281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
thirdtimemomma's Avatar
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Munchkin Land Missouri
Posts: 7,409
My Mood:
Re: Flat Mama's, did your wash routine change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhillcranes View Post
hmm...a little confused what you were asking but if you mean does it shorten your dry time---YES. Absolutelypositively. The only thing that can cause a hiccup--is doublers. If you use doublers they might need a little time drying on a rack or line if you are trying to save your dryer time.

ETA: I don't do an EXTRA rinse. I do hot wash/cold rinse bc that's my washer's setting. I don't do anything extra...not before or after. But I do dunk and swish.
I mean when I used PF's mostly I did a Cold express wash to rinse, then a Hot wash cycle, then another cold wash. I was wondering if that changed for other pp with flats.

Dry time is THE reason I switched to all flats! They only take 1 cycle to dry instead of 2! or more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam281 View Post
sorry ladies, my question has nothing to do with washing, but i saw Flats the other day and am wondering the obvious. How do they really compare to PF?? Are they trimmer say like a sposie. I got my son toddler sized ones becasue I needed the extra wing to get around his chubby tummy, but when I sanppi them he walks like a cowboy and to trifold them in a cover he looks like he has a huge front butt.
Do I have to change them every 1-2hrs or are they absorbent?
I think they are as absorbant as a PF. and even if you need a doubler they are trimmer than a PF. Thicker than a sposie but not by much! I love them! I prefer to padfold them or use them like a prefold after folding in half twice to make a small square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by higginskatie View Post
I meant the post-rinse. I always do the pre since DS1 is a messy pooper and I have no option. I have been trying to change that with different foods, but that's a different post...

Usually I do one pre-wash cold, hot wash w/ detergent followed by the usual rinse, then another full wash/rinse. With flats I just finish with an additional rinse instead of the full cycle. I guess some mamas don't even do that, but I haven't been brave enough yet. Maybe next time I do just flats.
What I would like to do is skip my prewash and post wash and instead use my HE machines Sanitary Cycle set with a prerinse and 2nd rinse.
__________________
Vicki
Wife to 1 SeventhtimeMomma to:
N 7-01, L 12-02, B 7-05, J 2-07, L 12-08, S 10-10, and Q 5-29-12
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.