Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Flat Mama's, did your wash routine change?

After switching to flats? Im wondering if I can shorten my old prefold routine with flats with out issue..

(gave too much information. I just want to know how it worked for other people)

Advertisement

Last edited by thirdtimemomma; 07-14-2010 at 07:52 PM.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
higginskatie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flat Mama's, did your wash routine change?

If I am doing just flats, yes, I do one less rinse dor sure, depending on how dirty they were to start with. Definitely shortens my drying routine, whether on the line or in the dryer. LOVE THEM!!!! I am thinking of selling off my GMD reds now (is that a sacriledge?)
higginskatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No. That's what Im doing.. well will do..selling off my PF's. One less rinse. is that a prerinse or a post rinse?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hmm...a little confused what you were asking but if you mean does it shorten your dry time---YES. Absolutelypositively. The only thing that can cause a hiccup--is doublers. If you use doublers they might need a little time drying on a rack or line if you are trying to save your dryer time.

ETA: I don't do an EXTRA rinse. I do hot wash/cold rinse bc that's my washer's setting. I don't do anything extra...not before or after. But I do dunk and swish.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
higginskatie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I meant the post-rinse. I always do the pre since DS1 is a messy pooper and I have no option. I have been trying to change that with different foods, but that's a different post...

Usually I do one pre-wash cold, hot wash w/ detergent followed by the usual rinse, then another full wash/rinse. With flats I just finish with an additional rinse instead of the full cycle. I guess some mamas don't even do that, but I haven't been brave enough yet. Maybe next time I do just flats.
higginskatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
bam281
Registered Users
seller

sorry ladies, my question has nothing to do with washing, but i saw Flats the other day and am wondering the obvious. How do they really compare to PF?? Are they trimmer say like a sposie. I got my son toddler sized ones becasue I needed the extra wing to get around his chubby tummy, but when I sanppi them he walks like a cowboy and to trifold them in a cover he looks like he has a huge front butt.
Do I have to change them every 1-2hrs or are they absorbent?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhillcranes View Post
hmm...a little confused what you were asking but if you mean does it shorten your dry time---YES. Absolutelypositively. The only thing that can cause a hiccup--is doublers. If you use doublers they might need a little time drying on a rack or line if you are trying to save your dryer time.

ETA: I don't do an EXTRA rinse. I do hot wash/cold rinse bc that's my washer's setting. I don't do anything extra...not before or after. But I do dunk and swish.
I mean when I used PF's mostly I did a Cold express wash to rinse, then a Hot wash cycle, then another cold wash. I was wondering if that changed for other pp with flats.

Dry time is THE reason I switched to all flats! They only take 1 cycle to dry instead of 2! or more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam281 View Post
sorry ladies, my question has nothing to do with washing, but i saw Flats the other day and am wondering the obvious. How do they really compare to PF?? Are they trimmer say like a sposie. I got my son toddler sized ones becasue I needed the extra wing to get around his chubby tummy, but when I sanppi them he walks like a cowboy and to trifold them in a cover he looks like he has a huge front butt.
Do I have to change them every 1-2hrs or are they absorbent?
I think they are as absorbant as a PF. and even if you need a doubler they are trimmer than a PF. Thicker than a sposie but not by much! I love them! I prefer to padfold them or use them like a prefold after folding in half twice to make a small square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by higginskatie View Post
I meant the post-rinse. I always do the pre since DS1 is a messy pooper and I have no option. I have been trying to change that with different foods, but that's a different post...

Usually I do one pre-wash cold, hot wash w/ detergent followed by the usual rinse, then another full wash/rinse. With flats I just finish with an additional rinse instead of the full cycle. I guess some mamas don't even do that, but I haven't been brave enough yet. Maybe next time I do just flats.
What I would like to do is skip my prewash and post wash and instead use my HE machines Sanitary Cycle set with a prerinse and 2nd rinse.