Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #11
m0mmytothree
Registered Users

Re: help for heavy wetter!

Thank you all for your responses!
I was wondering, does the problem get worse as they get older?? He is only 6 months old so if I am changing every 2 hours now, will I have to change every hour when he is a toddler?
Also, what does "Pled" mean?

Advertisement

m0mmytothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

I think expecting a cloth diaper to hold for two hours is reasonable. Leaking after that time doesn't necessarily mean you have a heavy wetter. Cloth diapers just need changing more that disposables (though as a side note, disposables are not supposed to be left on for hours either, the health dept in my state requires daycares to change every two hours whether disposable or cloth). I have seen lots of threads on the question, how often do you change and it seems the most common answer tends to be 1 to 2 hours, or when wet.

Now I knew I had a heavy wetter when he was soaking through his dipes in 30 minutes, sometimes just in one pee! Like a pp, we now use super absorbent fitteds (Goodmamas, Kiwi Pie, Sbish) and wool and though I still have to change every 1.5 to 2 hours, we don't have leaks anymore. If he reaches max capacity in his fitted, the wool absorbs some, and then starts feeling damp. An added benefit is that it is supremely breathable and cooler for him (wool is the coolest cover because it breathes). His bum looks so healthy and he never gets red anymore, which as another issue we had with both PUL pockets and disposables.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:49 AM   #13
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0mmytothree View Post
Thank you all for your responses!
I was wondering, does the problem get worse as they get older?? He is only 6 months old so if I am changing every 2 hours now, will I have to change every hour when he is a toddler?
Also, what does "Pled" mean?
You will likely have to increase absorbency as he gets older. If he starts peeing through in less than two hours, you'll know thats what is needed. Its common for toddlers to "hold and flood" as they get older too. They may stay dry for a couple hours and then let it all out at once. That can be kind of challenging for a diaper to absorb fast. Again, fitteds work well here because the whole diaper is absorbent, and the legs are gathered to hold things in. That is kind of where we are now, so I am not changing more often, but once he goes, I need to change him since its super wet.

PLed means "potty learned" or potty trained.
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote