Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
flats/pf's/fitteds on a newborn?

We are starting to build a newborn stash for a future baby and I've heard that fitteds are better for the nb stage bc flats and pf's leak. What have you guys found to be the best system (under wool or a cover)?

ktktbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: flats/pf's/fitteds on a newborn?

Well, I used both prefolds and fitteds for the newborn stage. I just used Imse Vimse newborn size covers and loved them. All of the wool I had bought for her was HUGE when she was brand new. We didn't have too many poopie issues but the fitteds obviously kept it leak from 100% of the time. Sometimes we would have a leaky prefold but I never ever had it leak out of my covers.
Wife to superdad, mama to E-bean (6) , A-bean (4) , Little Bean (16 months), Tiny bean (7 weeks)
twolittlebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Fitteds are the easiest for the nb stage but pfs especially flats are the most economical. If you have a good cover with gussets nothing should get past the cover.
Wife to A mama to DS (96) DD (07), proud surro mom (10), & DD (12)
Missing my younger sister Ashley RIP 7/26/07 and our Booda RIP 5/3/09 everyday
NH's only dedicated cloth diaper retail store! All of our in stock diapers are prepped!
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
Registered Users
Formerly: ndebele

My whole stash is flats. DD is 5 weeks old and we've only had 3 poo leaks, and none of them were even that bad, just a bit out the side. I do prefer wool covers (Aristocrats are my favorite!) and I have some Flip covers too.. those are kind of baggy on her, but they work.

When DS was a newbie, I used pockets (FBs), and every time he pooped it would come out the legs So I'm a really big fan of my flats now I guess part of the reason is I can fold them to get a good fit around her legs.
Nicole - Thankful mama to Owen -12.13.07, Ivy - 6.8.10, & Colin - 2.23.14

Feedback on under the same name
PierogiBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

i think it depends on how much you're willing to spend and your priority: fit, function, ease of use, etc.

i wanted cheap and easy for this opted to buy 3 doz premie prefolds that i could trifold and lay in nb covers...which i bought about 12 of. i decided cheap diapers and lost of covers because i knew poop was going to get on most of them...LOL. i did premie covers because i knew that i'd be changing frequently anyway in the early days and i HATE bulk, esp on tiny tiny babies.

now that she's about 11-12lbs, i double the premie prefolds up and they're still fairly trim.

If i had wanted to spend $$ i probably would have gone with K0s and nb mutts and covers. and i would have been happy to do that...LOL. but it's always such a bummer when they grow out of them in 2-6 weeks after all that investment.

at the 4-6 week mark, the pooping slows down (at least in my babies) and i only need about 6 small covers. btw, she has one HUGE bm a day and even with gussets, it gets past the cover. so i have a few fitteds on hand to help contain the poo since i know it's coming sometime in the morning...LOL.
reb SAHM to
Rylan (10), Davin (7), Jaden (5) and Kella (6-7-10)
investmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

I'm gonna try the tutorial on here for turning prefolds into fitteds on some newborn prefolds. I think that it will really help reduce the bulk that sometimes does along with the leakiness of prefolds on newborns. I'm thinking I'm gonna cut about 2 inches off a regular (14x20) prefold and then go from there. Add elastic to the back, and to the legs and hope that the prefolds hold the poo in well! I wish I had the money for fitteds...but I'm gonna try to make my own out of prefolds since baby will outgrow them so darned fast!
mommyrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Registered Users

We used prefolds almost exclusively for the newbie stage, and I can honestly say that we haven't had a single poop leak yet, and baby is 4 months old now. Thirsties covers worked wonders for us.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote