Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
DKnightSkye
Registered Users
seller

Cotton to "cutten" up wool covers? and other upcycled wool questions

I got a bunch of wool skirts from CL today to make covers or pants or wetbags out of.

I sketched out a pattern to make wraps out of, but I want to make them kind of cute. I have some cotton interlock, can I put that on the outside of wool or will it compression leak? I mean wool works UNDER clothes and the clothes stay dry, right? so for daytime use (when he's changed often) I could put a layer of cotton on the outside right? Would there be issues with washing it? (I wash by hand right now, but as he moves around more and his covers get dirtier I'm thinking I'll likely be washing on gentle occasionally).

Also does wool (looks like fabric so that's interlock, right?) fray? As in if I cut cute shapes in other colors to sew on do I have to tuck and stitch or can I just stitch close to the edge?

and for wetbags...I know they make and sell wet bags made out of wool...how well do these work? I was thinking of replacing my diaper bucket with a big wool wetbag, but my mom said that it's really bad for wool to stay wet all the time (like it would with wet diapers in it all the time).

And last question, do I need to do anything to these before I start to get chemicals out or anything so the lanolin can take hold? Or should I felt them first? (the tags all say dry clean only)

Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
DKnightSkye
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cotton to "cutten" up wool covers? and other upcycled wool questions

anyone?
Old 07-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
r8chel
Registered Users
seller

Cotton will not work SEWN onto wool. You might be able to get by with sewing a bit on the wings or somewhere away from the wet zone. I, personally, will only use poly prints for embellishing. The cotton will absorb the moisture and smell like pee. Cotton can not be lanolized. Wool has amazing properties that other fabrics do not.

Wool Interlock does not fray.

Wet bags made from wool work great. Just treat them like your wool covers. Just be sure to let it dry out when the dipes are washing and it'll be fine.

You don't HAVE to felt wool. You can use it as it. BUT if you felt it, the covers will be more waterproof since the fibers are all tangled together. Felt them too much though, and you loose the stretch and they get really thick.

Some wool will continue to shrink with each HOT wash, like Cashmere. I know for sure that 95/5 Wool Interlock/Lycra blend will NOT shrink after it's been felted. I give my 95/5 three HOT washes and HOT dries and it's good to go. I've thrown them in with the diaper laundry; wash AND dry, and they come out just fine.

HTH

~Rachel

Wife to Cory (09.25.04) ... Mama to Jaydence (06.06.08) and Levi (11.12.09)
r8chel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
littleleaf
Registered Users
Formerly: jcha***h
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKnightSkye View Post
I got a bunch of wool skirts from CL today to make covers or pants or wetbags out of.

I sketched out a pattern to make wraps out of, but I want to make them kind of cute. I have some cotton interlock, can I put that on the outside of wool or will it compression leak? I mean wool works UNDER clothes and the clothes stay dry, right? so for daytime use (when he's changed often) I could put a layer of cotton on the outside right? Would there be issues with washing it? (I wash by hand right now, but as he moves around more and his covers get dirtier I'm thinking I'll likely be washing on gentle occasionally).
Like the pp mentioned, I'd be worried about compression leaks with cotton sewn onto the wool near the wetzone. I think it's different when you're wearing clothes over wool (less compression).

Quote:
Also does wool (looks like fabric so that's interlock, right?) fray? As in if I cut cute shapes in other colors to sew on do I have to tuck and stitch or can I just stitch close to the edge?
Like the pp said, wool INTERLOCK will not fray. Interlock is a type of knit fabric made of very small yarns. Knit fabrics don't fray. But I think most wool skirts are made from a woven wool fabric -- woven fabrics do fray. Is the material stretchy? In general, knits are stretchy (provided that they aren't completely felted), and wovens are non-stretchy.

Quote:
and for wetbags...I know they make and sell wet bags made out of wool...how well do these work? I was thinking of replacing my diaper bucket with a big wool wetbag, but my mom said that it's really bad for wool to stay wet all the time (like it would with wet diapers in it all the time).
I've never used a wool wetbag, but I imagine they work much the same as wool covers/longies. And similar to a wetbag/hanging pail, I wouldn't spray all the diapers before putting them in there -- there's only so much moisture any fabric can hold in. If there's enough wetness against the wool for a long period of time (you could be talking 2-3 days if this is your diaper pail), then you do risk leaks.

Quote:
And last question, do I need to do anything to these before I start to get chemicals out or anything so the lanolin can take hold? Or should I felt them first? (the tags all say dry clean only)
You can felt them if you want them to thicken up -- depends how thick and dense they are to start with. Or you can use 2 (or more) layers. If they are superwash, you can try boiling them to attempt to get rid of the superwash coating, but I've never tried this personally.

Good luck! Working with upcycled wool is basically a matter of trial and error, and being open to unexpected surprises -- have fun with it!
SPOTS - new Thirsties and more ISO Jujube, Carters, Gymboree, Zutano girl clothes 18 months
littleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #5
DKnightSkye
Registered Users
seller

Thank you guys! Well for $20 if I get even ONE decent cover out of it I guess I didn't do too badly so off we go!

Maybe I'll use the Katrina's pattern and make a pull on cotton cover to go over the wool so when it gets wet I can just toss it in the wash with the dipes but still have cute factors for the wool. (that's my saddest thing with him not being able to use PUL (gets a red bum within 20 minutes) is the PUL covers all come in cute patterns)