Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
4girls3boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: 3boys3girls
seller

My Mood:
Looking for a GREAT BBQ Beef Sandwich Recipe (crock pot)

I've never made BBQ Beef before. We're having our baby's first B-day party this week. A picnic in an awesome local park. Please post your best recipes. Also, ideas & recipes for sides. 10 Adults, 2 teens, approx 20 kids.

Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
avasmom3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Looking for a GREAT BBQ Beef Sandwich Recipe (crock pot)

Ohhhh! I have the best one ever on my laptop. I will post it when I get home later
Old 07-19-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
avasmom3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Looking for a GREAT BBQ Beef Sandwich Recipe (crock pot)

ok, I just found the recipe again....sorry if it is too late!!! and i just realized this is pok, not beef...but, it is SOOOOO good. it is a recipe by Tyler Florence

Slow-Cooked BBQ Pork Shoulder and the Ultimate BBQ Sauce

Ingredients:

Dry Rub:
2 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 Tbsp. dried oregano
2 Tbsp. celery seed
1/4 cup paprika
2 Tbsp. chili powder
Pork Shoulder:
3 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 head garlic , split through the equator
1 bay leaf
1 medium onion , sliced
1 quart unsweetened apple juice
1 quart low-sodium chicken stock
Barbecue Sauce:
1 slice bacon
1 bunch fresh thyme
Extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 onion
2 cloves garlic
2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tbsp. red or white wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground paprika
Freshly ground black pepper
Directions:

To make dry rub: Combine ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.

To make pork shoulder: Rub pork shoulder all over with dry rub and set aside to marinate for 15 to 30 minutes—this allows the rub to stick to the protein. In the base of the slow cooker, layer with onions. Then, set pork in a slow cooker and add garlic, bay and thyme. Then, cover with apple juice and chicken stock. Top up with water if necessary to just cover 3/4 of the pork. Set to low and cooker for 6 to 8 hours (until pork is just about falling apart).

When done remove pork and cut up into pieces to serve.

To make barbecue sauce: Wrap the bacon around the thyme bunch and tie with kitchen twine so you have a nice bundle. Heat a 2-count of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the thyme bundle and cook slowly for 3 to 4 minutes to render the bacon fat and give the sauce a nice smoky taste. Add the onion and garlic and cook slowly without coloring for 5 minutes. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, give the sauce a stir and turn the heat down to low. Cook slowly for 20 minutes to meld the flavors. Strain the sauce to remove the bacon and thyme and onion.

To assemble the whole dish, chop the pork. Then, toss in a large mixing bowl with plenty of barbecue sauce. Serve on toasted whole wheat hamburger buns and top with a big ice cream scoop of broccoli slaw. Serve extra sauce on the side.