Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Should I pump and dump?

I now realize that I ate something bad and I have bad gas,cramps and loose stool. My LO was up late last night screaming his head off after I ate and now I know why.
The other day I ate the same thing and had this same problem and it took a good 24hrs to get out of my system. I thought my illness was hormones since no one else was sick, that I knew of. Last night I ate the leftovers of the meal that made me sick the first time.
How long should I pump and dump? I don't want us to go through another night like last night. I have no problem feeding my LO formula for the next 24hrs while I pump and dump. Does anyone think I should go a little longer just to be safe?
I only have 3 feeding in the freezer so I don't have much of a backup stash.

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
Selene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Should I pump and dump?

I just had the same thing happen to me...horrible food poisoning, I was vomiting and had diarrhea, the works! Anyway, I nursed DS through most of it, I just pumped and dumped once a few hours after taking some Pepto Bismol. DS didn't seem affected by whatever I ate though. I've read that typically you should nurse when you are sick since baby gets your antibodies to whatever is making you ill and he won't get it or won't get it as bad. But I don't know how that would relate to food poisoning.
Don't know if that helps at all...but anyway, hope you feel better soon!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If it were me..... and you know that this meal made you sick the last time you ate it, and it made your LO miserable.. and now you are having the same issue after eating the left overs.... I would be inclined to pump and dump, if I had the frozen milk in the freezer or had a can of formula around.

As for "how long" try to rememeber when you started to feel better last time, and pump until that point.

So sorry your feeling icky.

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
amazonpixie81
Registered Users

DD is sensitive to broccoli, when she was only 2 days old she had a reaction, then again at about a week (when i figured it out)
What I did was drink A LOT of water and eat some sugary cereal to help work it out of my system. Pump and dump wasnt an option for me so we just nursed through it and she was ok within a few hours.

ETA: on 2nd thought if you're feeling really crummy I dont think eating something full of sugar will be a good idea. If you're not feeling too sick I'd give it a shot.
Mypoints

Last edited by amazonpixie81; 07-20-2010 at 11:54 AM.
amazonpixie81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did skip a feeding this am when I was feeling pretty crummy. I stored it in the frig in case I changed my mind though. The diarrhea started this am but the gas was last night. I am feeling dehydrated & headache with the nursing and loose stools so I am downing some gatoraide,40oz this 2 last hours.
I really think the food affected him last night because he screamed up a storm until 11:30pm and he is usually asleep by 9pm. I am hoping it is out of both our systems now. I think I will nurse him next since my gas is gone and symptoms are wanning.
Thank you all for the advice!
Old 07-20-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oops double post

Last edited by TaraR; 07-20-2010 at 02:15 PM.
TaraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:48 PM   #7
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Was just wondering how you are feeling mama. Better I hope! And little one too!!!

God bless!

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
TaraR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for thinking of us We feel much better today. Although the little one is still a bit gassy but it is passing
Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote