Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
x403momx
Registered Users
seller

Post Houston Mom's - good neighborhoods?

Hi Houston Mama's.

My DH often travels to Houston and he really likes the warm weather (compared to up here in Canada). His work may offer him a position in Houston in the future. If we happen to move down there I'm just wondering what some nice neighborhoods are? I like older neighborhoods with character homes. Any suggestions? Any neighborhoods to avoid?

TIA!

Advertisement

Check out my etsy shop nerdsicles for tooth fairy pillows, aprons and magnets. For 15% off use coupon code: DSWAPPER
x403momx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
kaymurr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Houston Mom's - good neighborhoods?

The Heights has "character" but from what I've seen in recent years, and perhaps I'm mistaken, it seems all the older homes have been torn down by ambitious developers and replaced with new construction "old-look" row houses. They're still cute though, don't get me wrong!

We live in Katy (far west) which is 100% suburbia but I'm just over it, lol. The thing is, the crime rate here in comparison is really not even in the same universe. Plus I know there are a lot of crunchy moms out here in the 'burbs, and a small group of midwives is even planning a birth center right here in Katy. Incidentally, my last two were actually born at a center in a far east suburb, Pearland, so I still had to drive around the city to get to the other side!
kaymurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
hpuckett
Registered Users

My Mood:

My husband and I just moved to Pearland last year, and we like it. It is very developed, so most of the neighborhoods are nice homes, packed closely together with smaller yards. We have really been happy with the friendliness of our neighbors though.
hpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
new2allthis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm in Kingwood and I love it. There is a local mom support group where the majority of the women cloth diaper. We have a birth center in our community, a farmer's market and a local group that is trying to "green" the community. There are a mixture of neighborhoods where you can live in a cookie cutter house or you can live in "older" homes (think late 1970's early 80's) with some character.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
new2allthis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm in Kingwood and I love it. There is a local mom support group where the majority of the women cloth diaper. We have a birth center in our community, a farmer's market and a local group that is trying to "green" the community. There are a mixture of neighborhoods where you can live in a cookie cutter house or you can live in "older" homes (think late 1970's early 80's) with some character.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:08 PM   #6
hullabal98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

born and raised in Houston although we live in DFW now... grew up on the NW side and would totally raise my kids there too. my brother and his family live in Katy and they love it. I taught briefly in the Woodlands and like that area as well. Kingwood, Pearland, and the Klein area are all great also. Depends what you are looking for... Kingwood, the Woodlands, and others are master-planned communities - they have their own rules and ways of doing things. I personally like that, but it's not for everyone. Klein is more rural but growing very fast and has all the amenities of suburbia with a lot of country (not necessarily hick but some!) charm.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
nurse&mom23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live in Clear Lake, near NASA. We are about a 15-min drive to downtown. I work in the med center and the commute is not bad at all. Schools are great, neighborhoods are not so cookie cutter like some of the newer developments. Everything is here, I don't have to drive far to anything and yet I still feel like I live in a suburb. We are also close to Kemah the boardwalk is a very fun place for the kids and we are only a 10-15 min drive. Your dollar goes further outside of Houston proper. But if you have a lot of money to spend or don't mind living in a tiny house, the heights, bellaire and west U are all very nice areas. If we could afford it I would live there. That being said Texas has much cheaper realestate than many other places.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #8
rainysundays
Registered Users

We live in The Woodlands because DH and I work for the same firm and it's located here, so our commute is ten minutes tops. There is a neighborhood near here that I love called Northampton, with large houses mostly built in the 70s on big, tree-filled lots. The homes are very cheap and while some could use updating, they're a great buy. The school district (Klein) is very good and all of the schools from elementary on up are very close by. My husband refuses to live anywhere but within The Woodlands so he won't even consider it, but I've done some research and would recommend it to anyone.

I have friends who just bought an older, 50s style ranch house near Meyerland which is in SW Houston, much closer in and not far from the Galleria. The only issue is that the local schools are pretty awful, but they plan to homeschool so it's not a problem for them.

We do like The Woodlands but it is pretty homogenic here and it can lack character. You also pay more for a home here than you do for a comparable home even just a mile away, simply because it's in The Woodlands. But the schools are good, there are great amenities and it's very pretty. You can also be pretty assured that your home will hold its value.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Last edited by rainysundays; 05-28-2010 at 11:59 PM.
rainysundays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:31 PM   #9
monica-m
Registered Users

My Mood:

We are in Pearland as well. We moved in a little over two years ago and I really like it. There are several areas within Pearland with homes are older and are on larger lots/acreage. Good luck making a decision, there are several nice areas in the Greater Houston area that are affordable as well as charming.
monica-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
charmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

hubby and i LOVED living in houston...'inner loop' area. of course, we only had the one teen at the time (prior to having 2 more children). once we had our 3yr old, we needed more room, couldn't afford property in our houston-area, and are now in pearland.
i personally dislike the 'master planned' communities i am currently surrounded with-though i thought i would, initially.

we are planning on either going more 'rural' with an older house with character (no new builds, please!) or going opposite and living in the city. no more 'burbs for us! =)
if you go to houston area realtors (har dot com) and click on MLS area #16, that is where we USED to live.
montrose, upper kirby, and of course, river oaks are beautiful areas.
the bellaire area is also nice. i suppose it depends on how close to the actual city of houston you'd like to live...the a fore-mentioned neighborhoods are in the 'thick' of the houston action!

hope this helps!

p.s. we were totally considering moving to BC!

-charmaine

*baby-wearing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, co-sleeping mum of juniper (8 months), zen (3 years) & kyra (16 years)...and the more-than-smitten wife of rockstar, rian.
charmommy is offline   Reply With Quote