Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-27-2006, 07:27 AM   #1
jen317
Registered Users
seller

Best place to buy wool yarn?

I am very excited. I just bought a pattern to make some shorts and such, but now I need to find wool. Can I get it at local fabric stores or is it better to buy online? We used to have a store that carried great yarns, but they closed. Do most of you buy your yarn online? If so, where? Thanks for the advice.

Advertisement

jen317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:35 AM   #2
peverroad
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Best place to buy wool yarn?

i don't know if this will help or not but if you find the price of wool yarn to be a bit much you can take the yarn out of a sweater. I was given a link to this yesterday on mothering.com if you look in the sewing your on diapers page you should see it. I think it is still on the first page but may be on the second page.
peverroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:12 AM   #3
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You can usually get yarn from a local yarn store or fabric store but where I've been getting yarn usually is from http://www.knitpicks.com . I really like their "Wool of the Andes" for an inexpensive yarn and they have undyed that you can color yourself using kool-aid or food coloring. It is a little pilly but it is nice and soft and very inexpensive.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:08 AM   #4
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I apparently have a sensitivity to wool or something because everything I've bought premade is really itchy. I had almost given up altogether but decided to give it one more shot. I went to the local craft store and just felt all the wool yarns they had until I found one I liked. I tried Hobby Lobby and Michaels and neither one had a great selection, but they did have some that was about $4.99 a ball. I used 1.5 balls to make a pair of XL shorts for my son (crocheted). I wound up getting Paton's Merino (100% Merino). I've got to go into town tomorrow and plan to hit a couple of the big craft stores while I'm there. I'm hoping they'll have a better selection and maybe some of the Merino/Lambswool blend I've been hearing about. I love some of the yarns I've seen online, but I'm just so nervous about buying it without feeling it first!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
Catrinau
Registered Users
seller

I just found a place to get mine yesterday. It is all predyed and soooo soft! It is $6.25 a skein. They don't sell online. Hehe.. dont even have their own website. They are like 2 mins from my house, though, so it is super convenient for me. It is called The Wool Works. I've driven by it a million times and never stopped. I'm so glad i did now!
http://www.ramshornstudio.com/wool_works.htm
If you look in the pic with the guy sitting ... you can see they have an entire wall that is just dyed wools. It is soooo cool. The whole store is just WOOL!!!

Mom to 3 rough and tumble boys. Wife to one totally awesome man!

My Crafting Blog!
Catrinau is offline   Reply With Quote