Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2010, 08:47 AM   #21
mycdsqueaker
Registered Users
Formerly: juliasmom92905
seller

Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

If your child has Ammonia burns, and your diapers stink, it is not the detergent's fault, it is simply that your diapers are not clean. That may be because the detergent is ineffective....but it is not that the detergent is stuck in your diapers. It just means that either the detergent is leaving a residue that is holding on to bacteria allowing ammonia to be created when your baby pees, or it is not cleaning the bacteria out of the diapers at all.

Sorry I disagree. If a product is faulty and my child has issues because of that then it is the detergents fault.
If faulty deteregent was not used, then injury would not be sustained.
If detergent says use x amount then I expect by using X amount, my clothes/diapers are going to be CLEAN when I take them out.

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2010, 10:04 AM   #22
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycdsqueaker View Post
If your child has Ammonia burns, and your diapers stink, it is not the detergent's fault, it is simply that your diapers are not clean. That may be because the detergent is ineffective....but it is not that the detergent is stuck in your diapers. It just means that either the detergent is leaving a residue that is holding on to bacteria allowing ammonia to be created when your baby pees, or it is not cleaning the bacteria out of the diapers at all.

Sorry I disagree. If a product is faulty and my child has issues because of that then it is the detergents fault.
If faulty deteregent was not used, then injury would not be sustained.
If detergent says use x amount then I expect by using X amount, my clothes/diapers are going to be CLEAN when I take them out.
I am not here to assign blame, or let any one person off the hook.

I am simply here to help people understand where in the chemical chain of command the problem lays.

So, from THAT point of view, it is not the detergent's fault....it is that the diaper's are not clean.

It may be the the company who made the bad detergent's fault for making a useless product....but that is not what I am trying to do with this post.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:07 AM   #23
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
Thanks! I have got to stop using my Seventh Generation Baby which I know has enzymes.

If it works for you, there may be no problems! Enzymes work by "eating" the biological material. If your water is right, and your washer works well, and your baby's skin is good....then the enzymes are washing out just fine, and you have good clean diapers and there are NO problems for you...in fact, they are cleaner for YOU than they will be without the enzymes.

So, dont stop if it keeps working. If you DO start having problems, stop pronto, strip, and try something with no enzymes.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:13 AM   #24
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by becker206 View Post
I have a water softener, so we have soft water. How does that effect my needs as far as detergent goes?

Soft water has the calcium removed from it, which is what all that washing soda is trying to do for you. So, you need less of that, and less detergent in general as soap is harder to rinse soap away than hard water because it is sort of slippery (its soft!). So, use less detergent, and dont add washing soda.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #25
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy27 View Post
Great post, I know this will be helpful to many mama's! Eases my mind about what I am using (homemade).
Thanks,
Amy
Home made is great, just watch using recipes using some of the grated natural soaps, like hand soaps. Real handmade lye soap is fatty, and that fat can end up with a buildup on your diapers. You can just strip every several washes with a dawn strip. Wash in HOT and rinse in HOT too.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:18 AM   #26
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laydiebugs View Post
Wow, thanks for all the info and the work you put into the research.

I am curious about the statement that petrochemicals are rarely allergenic. I have chemical sensitivities, and no bias against petrochemicals per se (I use mineral oil for many things, and must avoid aloe) but my respiratory and skin reactions happen frequently in reaction to petrochemicals.

It's also important to not just blame synthetics when there is a sensitivity. The root of my chemical sensitivities is aspirin, which is a synthetic salicylic acid. Natural salicylic acid is in willow bark and aloe (this is why aloe has anti-inflammatory properties). For me, natural baby wipes are more irritating than ones from "the man" ... I despise the fragrance in most, but have skin and respiratory issues with the natural and sensitive ones (except Target Up&Up Sensitive, which has no aloe and has lanolin).

I tried a billion different things in the years of figuring out this sensitivity; the only detergent that works for my own clothes long-term is Biokleen All Temp Liquid (makers of Bac-Out). A lot of their cleaning products irritate me but that one doesn't and it's doing well for my diapers.

And while I'm plugging (NAYY), an $8 jug of Biokleen can wash more than 240 loads of diapers (twice that in HE) if I'm calculating correctly (1/4 the recommended detergent per load ... recommends 1 oz and it's a 64 oz bottle ...)
Rarely doesnt mean never, but with petrochemicals, you know what you are getting. With "natural" soap sources, you dont know what "nut" the soap was made from, and with so many nut-allergies and sensitivities out there....and the fact that ingredients are not required to be listed....it is just easy to know what you are getting with Dawn. I wash my hair in Dawn because I am sensitive to SOMETHING in shampoo that I just cannot figure out.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #27
Sara0530
Registered Users
Formerly: MamaPlus
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for posting this. I just want to add to that cloth diapers are made to be WASHED, so washing in the "wrong" detergent isn't going to ruin them! Regardless of what happens in the laundry room it can all be fixed. (Short of soaking in strait bleach for a week). DIAPERS ARE NOT FRAGILE! I can't say how many posts I read everyday that say things like a different detergent was used than my normall, are my diapers ruined? NO! Its just laundry, if you get build up, strip them, if they aren't clean, wash them again, if they aren't rinsed, rinse them again! Its just laundry, do what works best for you and your family.
So thanks Alioop!
Old 07-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #28
monkeymoms
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Great post! There is so much debate about detergents...it's important to remember to find and use what works for you. What works great for one person might not work for another. Every momma is different, baby is different, we have different machines, things in our stash and wash routines. Even the water where we all live differs from place to place. Heck your water can be a little different from someone in a different spot in your own town even when you are both on city water! When you add it all up it would make sense that different things work for different people.

Also...don't be afraid to experiement and try new things. Sometimes you will find something works better. So yes, find and use what works for you but don't feel like it's not worth a little change up here and there. I was so afraid of buildup for awhile that I wouldn't try much. But like another poster said...you can undo almost anything you do.
monkeymoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:49 PM   #29
Beesgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much for explaining!

Question...I was using a WAHM detergent and my diapers will still smelling like urine, my instinct was to up the amount b/c I thought they weren't getting clean enough. I was told by the owner to actually use less, only 1 tbls. Do you know why that would be? Can 1 tbls of detergent really get a full load clean?
Beesgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #30
kebree
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beesgirl View Post
Thanks so much for explaining!

Question...I was using a WAHM detergent and my diapers will still smelling like urine, my instinct was to up the amount b/c I thought they weren't getting clean enough. I was told by the owner to actually use less, only 1 tbls. Do you know why that would be? Can 1 tbls of detergent really get a full load clean?
I suppose it depends on the machine, water, number and type of dipes - but I am with you, I just can't fathom that 1 Tablespoon of detergent can get a full load of anything clean - let alone cloth that has been pooped and peed in.

Here is my question I used to have soft water (a full house water softener) and really struggled with stinky diapers no matter if I used - Tide or Planet or country save or wahm. Now I moved and have water that is in the middle as far as hard and soft and my dipes are cleaner than ever - i mean I could probably use any decent detergent with absolutely no odors WHy would soft water make the dipes stinkier?
WOHM to 3 boys I(4/08), J(4/09) & Z (12/11) Expecting #4 1/2014
kebree is offline   Reply With Quote