Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:26 AM   #1
Jessie_Willie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I want to HS, DH doesn't

Okay, I have been seriously thinking about homeschooling my DS, (he's four months old, so I have time) since I was about 6 months pregnant. I've noticed how bad things have gotten in Public Schools, with drugs and fighting and such, and I just want to be able to control what my LO is learning at least during his early years, if he wants to go to PS for High School, we'll discuss it then, but the problem. My DH does not want to have him homeschooled, he wants him to go to his alma mater, Chelsea Schools. I think that yes, they are better schools than most, but still. We don't make any decisions until we are in full agreement, so how can I sell him on HSing? Or even, you can try to sell me on PSing. Help!

Advertisement

Jessie_Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:52 AM   #2
TheLittleButtonBakery
Registered Users
Formerly: littlemonkeyfoot
seller

My Mood:
Re: I want to HS, DH doesn't

I believe you are wise to want to HS. I was PSed and when I was in High School my mother started HSing my siblings. Their education is FAR BETTER than anything I got! Not to mention they didnt get most of the extra teaching from their peers that I did. They are by no means unsocialized! In fact they are more outgoing and fearless in that they will strike up an intelligent conversation with just about anyone.
I suggest asking your DH for a "trial period" of 1 or 2 years. That way if "any educational blunders" are made it will still be early enough to correct them with PS. After that 1st year he will probably see the benefits. Good Luck Mama
TheLittleButtonBakery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #3
hmmclever
Registered Users
seller

my husband and i have the same discussion, I want to homeschool...he's not so sure, we live in a farming community so things here are a bit better, but i just remind him its not going to be like when he went there and things are just going to continue to get worse--but like the mama above said ask for a "trial" period, you can always switch, also though if he is adamant, you can try public school and you may both see that isnt working (or maybe it is!), but don't stress about it right now since your LO is still so little! you've got time.
hmmclever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #4
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

I agree with the trial period. Another thing that helped my dh see the benefits was to really emphasize academic freedom and all the things you can teach your children that they won't get in public school (increasingly, that is becoming pretty much everything besides math, reading, and science). For example, dh works in international trade/politics and that is his passion=>he gets to teach our kids current events, much more than what ps gives them, if anything at all. Also, dh and I place an extremely high value on the ability to write, which ps doesn't teach very well=>dh is excited for me to really drill our kids with grammar and writing exercises. Find the things your dh values and show him how homeschooling does a better job. And if possible, find a way for him to be involved in teaching those things. Who doesn't want to pass their passions and skills on to their children, right?

Also, I think most people are concerned about the socialization issue. Read this mama's blog about that. It's brilliant.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
japanmaple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My Dh was not did not want me to do it either. Well I am on my second year! I thought he wanted to send my kids back to PS in a when my son is suppose to start K in 2011. Money is tight and I said well I can sell ODD's old math books. They could prob get $40 a set. He said well don't you need those for our son. They are 1st and 2nd grade books and he is 4. SOOOO maybe he is coming around!!
japanmaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #6
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Get involved with an "early homeschoolers" group. A lot of homeschool support groups have groups specifically geared for families that only have kids younger than school age. Your dh will see that your child will have plenty of interaction with lots of kids. (my dh's hesitation was about "socialization" - which makes me laugh now!) Go to a homeschool conference, get homeschool magazines, meet some homeschooling families with older kids. All of these things will help him to realize that while it may not be mainstream, it isn't unusual either. By the time your ds hits school age, your dh will be so familiar with homeschool stuff, it won't seem such a big deal.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Jessie_Willie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks so much ladies! I completely understand what you mean about subjects being limited at PS. Most of my grammar teaching was done by my grandfather, and I learned to read at 3, completely through his teaching. I LOVE to read, and PS doesn't put an emphasis on reading much, and that really bothers me, I want him to know the value of a good book.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
Jessie_Willie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay I sat down with DH and discussed it more in depth, and found out his reasoning, as some of you thought, the social aspect is one part, the other is sports. He wants him to have the options to play sports. I know there is a local place for baseball, and I believe the local Y does Soccer...So I might have him convinced!! Fingers crossed everyone!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
Designsbybequi
Registered Users
seller

Actually, kids excel more at sports when homeschooled. They have more time or flexibility with training. Most of the pro tennis players and even ice skaters in my area, who I've been able to talk with, are homeschooled, so they can practice when they need to. If he's that into sports, then homeschooling is the way to go. I have another set of friends whose son just got a full ride at college in their tennis program and he is so good because he was homeschooled. He was able to train more and go to more competitions. Having your kid's college completely paid for is a great thing for many dads to think about!! I had an idea about your situation though, why not take a tour of the local school that he wants to send your child to, with him. Show him you are open to his opinion and interested in what he wants to show you. It is his alma mater and he probably has great memories of it. Take the tour, ask questions, go again when it's in full session to see the kids. Honestly, maybe it has changed a bit since he went and he may be disappointed in how our school systems have changed, and how the kids dress now and act now. It may be an eye opener for him to see it's not like when he was a kid. And if you support his views, he may be more open to hear yours. Just an idea.
Designsbybequi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

Ah, sports. From what I understand, a lot of school districts actually allow homeschoolers to play on their teams if they live in their boundaries. A girl I used to babysit is homeschooled and plays on the varsity basketball team at her local school. That's what my plan is because we're really into sports, too. And if we don't live in an area where they allow it, I fully intend to start pushing for it a few years before my kids are old enough to play (so it will be available for them). Honestly, it makes all the sense in the world that homeschoolers play on high school teams--we pay the same amount of taxes as the ps'ers parents, our children are entitled to those services, whether we want all or some of them. That's my opinion.

ETA: With the homeschooling movement growing like it is, my assumption is that by the time are kids are at the age to play school sports, it will be more common than not that they can play for their local school.