Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #421
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Garnet Gab -July- Monthly Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by THBVsMama View Post
I should have, too. After all, I delivered Emma barely 20 minutes after getting into my hospital room. I was much more relaxed at home with the contractions, able to walk around, squat, move on my birthing ball.. As soon as I got into my room and changed into the gown I was checked instantly, and when the nurse discovered I was already at an 8 she wouldn't let me back up. Contracting flat on your back is so much more intense, and I'm not sure I could have gone w/o an epidural if it hadn't been so quick and I had no other choice. Don't get me wrong, I'm overjoyed I got my natural delivery, but contracting while being able to walk, bend, get on all 4's, etc, is so much more bearable than being confined on your back in a hospital bed.

I'm not sure what I'll do next time around. DH wants me to do a home birth, but I'm partial to my OB and I actually kind of enjoy the hospital stay. However, I refuse to be confined on my back again for any amount of time. I mean, what other mammal can you think of births flat on their back like that? I wish we had a birthing center in our hospital that was more mother-friendly, as opposed to medical-friendly.

Okay, I'll end now before this turns into even more of a rant than it already is

I'm just taking it one day at a time. I'm trying to accept that, at the moment, she is not a very good sleeper and needs me in the MOTN. If I quit trying to have higher expectations for her at night, then I can't be let down, right? Last night was better. She only woke about 3x all night, as opposed to the 10ish the other night. I know she's going through a g/s because she's nursing like mad. I tried to up her solids a bit more thinking she needed more milk feeds and solid meals, but she's really not interested beyond dabbling here and there. She'll take a few bites, but quickly becomes distracted with random objects. I'm not going to push it, either.

Thanks for asking, though & on an upside, her naps seem to be getting better. She's down to 2, but they're usually about an hour long each now. I'll take that any day over 20 minute cat naps.
I guess I don't know how lucky I am with Claire. She just doesn't wake up at night to do anything more than nurse and go back to sleep. She never has! My husband keeps asking when she's going to sleep in "her bed", but as long as we're all sleeping, I'm happy with what we're doing.

THat is interesting that your husband is more into the home birth! I think my husband would be okay either way. I can't beleive (well, actually I can, but still) that they made you go through transition on your back! So I guess when you get to the hospital it's often the nurses that have the most control, not the ob. I was on my side in the bathtub through that part and I think that made it all more bearable.

Went on a bit of a buying spree yesterday...athough everything was a great deal that I bought. 2 hotmilk nursing bras from Zulily; so excited!!! I haven't bought a bra since before Claire was born. ALso I found this awesome dress at anthropologie that I thought was going to be on sale for 90$, but it turned out to be only 40$! after it was originally 180. Yay! It's kind of costumy and WAY long for me, but that's why I love it.

This weekend we're going to see my parents and grandparents, so that should be fun. My mom has a beautiful garden and Claire loves to watch the fish in the pond

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010, 01:19 PM   #422
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't want to jinx it, but Sean has been mostly STTN... and by that, I mean he's been going down at 11 and not waking up until 5!!! So I've been getting 5 hours straight of sleep for the past 3 nights. Thank God!

We are getting ready to head back down to California to visit my grandma again on Monday or Tuesday. I am driving alone with the kiddos to my mom's and then mom is going with us the rest of the way. I am somewhat dreading the trip, but looking forward to getting to spend some more time with my grandma

I put both my mei tais in the dryer at the same time.... STUPID. I now have a giant, wrinkled knot of carriers that I have to iron.
Old 07-30-2010, 03:37 PM   #423
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I guess I don't know how lucky I am with Claire. She just doesn't wake up at night to do anything more than nurse and go back to sleep. She never has! My husband keeps asking when she's going to sleep in "her bed", but as long as we're all sleeping, I'm happy with what we're doing.

THat is interesting that your husband is more into the home birth! I think my husband would be okay either way. I can't beleive (well, actually I can, but still) that they made you go through transition on your back! So I guess when you get to the hospital it's often the nurses that have the most control, not the ob. I was on my side in the bathtub through that part and I think that made it all more bearable.
Emma is good about going back to sleep as soon as she eats, but co-sleeping has been kinda nightmare-ish lately as she hasn't been the content night time baby that I'm used to. Now she's kicking, slapping, and scratching. Of course it's not to be difficult, but it's hard for me to doze off in the middle of nursing like I'm used to.

DH & I watched The Business of Being Born in my last trimester and he was so intrigued! Now he wants a homebirth. & yeah, our local hospitals are not natural-birthing friendly. We are not allowed to birth in other position that flat on our back, not allowed to walk the halls to help progress our labor, etc. Then again, the city has one of the highest cesarean rates in the US I have an OB who is very hands off, thankfully, but because my labor was so fast he didn't have time to really do much for me in that aspect. I mean, when I got there and got checked I was already an 8, and then a 10 less than 10 minutes later. The nurses tried telling me that another OB was on call (the one who delivered my son), but I refused to be delivered by him as he was extremely scissor happy and gave me an episiotomy (without my approval) after just one or two pushes I demanded my doc, as I knew he was at the hospital since I had my 39 week appointment scheduled for later that day. So they rushed to get him while I 'held it', basically.

THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:03 AM   #424
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yay we're back!
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:29 PM   #425
JoeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DH and I are Catholic, and the kids sit with us during Mass. There is a cry room we can sit in if Emma is fussy. Joey is really well behaved there, and there are lots of other children. They do have a nursery though.
When J is 5, we are going to put him in sunday school, and we are hoping to go to mass while he does that.

I get migraines. I've always had an Rx to help with them. I've only had a few since Emma was born. And I've been taking Aleve to help.
I need to make an appointment with the neuro to get some new stuff that is bfing safe. Do they make anything that is?
It took me forever to find something that worked for me, but didn't make me queasy.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:51 PM   #426
viersmommy
Registered Users
seller

I get migraines too Angela, have one now in fact. I've always just suffered through them. I've tried all kids/combination of OTC meds and nothing touches them. I've been either BFing or pregnant for most of the last 5 years. I hate meds anyway, but really don't like taking them when it might effect my baby. However, if this one gets much worse I'm seriously contemplating one of my leftover painkillers from the c/s since I know they don't bother J. The only think that helps for me is to go to sleep in a dark, quiet place...soooo not happening today.

DH worked yesterday, has mandatory training all day today and tomorrow and works again Monday. Big kids keep crying to go outside and Josiah is cutting more teeth :-(

fighting breast cancer since 8/2010- recently found out it has metastasized to lungs, spine, ribs, femurs, hips, liver and brain
viersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:17 PM   #427
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My grandma had a small stroke night before last, so my mom left to go without me-- I don't blame her-- but I don't get to go down and see my grandma now. I am totally bummed out =(

If you pray, I'd appreciate prayers for Grandma. She's not giving up, but she doesn't want to be hospitalized... ever. And we don't want that for her either. She is going to the doc on Monday and said she'd consent and do what he told her to do-- except go to the hospital LOL God I love her <3 If nothing else, pray for peace and quiet for her.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:39 PM   #428
viersmommy
Registered Users
seller

so sorry Amber, we'll be praying for you. Let us know if you hear anything new

fighting breast cancer since 8/2010- recently found out it has metastasized to lungs, spine, ribs, femurs, hips, liver and brain
viersmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #429
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeysMomma View Post
I get migraines. I've always had an Rx to help with them. I've only had a few since Emma was born. And I've been taking Aleve to help.
I need to make an appointment with the neuro to get some new stuff that is bfing safe. Do they make anything that is?
It took me forever to find something that worked for me, but didn't make me queasy.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.
I thought you weren't supposed to take Aleve while BFing?

I know my neuro gave me a list of three daily meds to ask the pedi about to prevent migraines - Topomax, something with an E (enalapril, elavil?), and something else. The pedi wanted me to stay away from Topomax, but the other two were ok. I don't want to start a daily med right now. He said Imitrex was ok as long as you pump and dump for at least 4 (and preferably 6) hours after as it clears your system pretty quickly. So I have that on hand if they get really bad, otherwise I'm trying to just use Advil until we are weaned.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:00 PM   #430
Lovinmama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP View Post
My grandma had a small stroke night before last, so my mom left to go without me-- I don't blame her-- but I don't get to go down and see my grandma now. I am totally bummed out =(

If you pray, I'd appreciate prayers for Grandma. She's not giving up, but she doesn't want to be hospitalized... ever. And we don't want that for her either. She is going to the doc on Monday and said she'd consent and do what he told her to do-- except go to the hospital LOL God I love her <3 If nothing else, pray for peace and quiet for her.
I will say a prayer for your Grandma Amber.

I wanted to let you ladies know that I'm engaged! My boyfriend proposed today after 5.5 years of dating. Totally made up for my crappy work week.