Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
hd_darcy
Registered Users
seller

Infant Car Seats??

Okay, I am currently pregnant and due the end of July. I am wondering if I should buy a new infant car seat or if I can continue to use the one I bought for my first son 4.5 years ago??? When I bought it, it was the top-rated car seat (graco snugride)... (if that makes a difference).

So, basically I have two questions - do I HAVE to purchase another one or would my graco still be okay (perfect shape)??? If I need to purchase another, does anyone know what is currently the best-rated infant car seat?

Thanks for your thoughts / opinions!

Darcy

Advertisement

hd_darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #2
rachaelmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Infant Car Seats??

I have heard not to use one if it is more than 5 years old. However, you could go to the graco website to see if it has been recalled for any reason. If not, I would use it!
Old 05-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
Malka
Registered Users
seller
seller

Your carseat may have expired/be expiring soon. I bought 2 Snugrides a few months before my 4 year old was born, and they both say they expire this December. They were both manufactured in 2002, but in different months.
Malka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
togg_mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How long do your children fit in the snugride?

FTR, from what I've heard, the snugride is still the safest. We have it on recommendation of two paramedics we know.
togg_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We didn't have a graco car seat but does your seat have an expiration date any where on it? Ours from dd has an expiration date printed on it (6 years past manufactering date I believe).
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:46 PM   #6
jackie010307
Registered Users
seller

As long as it hasn't been recalled, isn't more than 6 years from the date of manufacture, and it is a front adjusting one, then I would use it.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
Michelle8903
Registered Users
seller

As long as it hasn't expired or been in an accident you can use it again. If either of these is true than you have to buy another one. If you can't find the expiration date on the seat you can call Graco and find out that way too.
Michelle8903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:45 PM   #8
Phooey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It is recommended that you not use anything past 5 years old. Due to sun and temperature changes, it can weaken the plastic and make it not strong enough to protect your little one in a crash.

Phooey on wishing the companies would take trade-ins
Kim, WIFE to an amazing hubby, MOM to Duncan (12 - early teenager syndrome), Jensen (10 - middle child syndrome), two angels, Rowan (3 - preschooler syndrome), and Kaylen Grace (born 10/29/10 - Down syndrome).
Phooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:15 PM   #9
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you do get a new carseat I really do NOT suggest getting an Evenflo. We had MAJOR problems with ours not intsalling right and not fitting into the base correctly. Now Evenflo is recalling ALL of the Embrace carseats made in 2006 and after because the handles are releasing while being carried and babies are geting injured, they had 1 skull fracture, 2 concusions and several cuts and scrapes.

I deleted the email from CPSC about it, but if you visit Evenflo, NHTA(something like that) or CPSC it will be there.

We have a Graco Snugride and DD will be in it for a while even at the rate she is growing. Shes not anywhere near being out of it yet.
I had a Babytrend for DS and LOVED it, its another top rated seat.