Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2007, 11:09 PM   #11
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Pls help me get my 4 yo to "do" quiet time

This is a religious (Christian) set of CDs. But, ADVENTURES IN ODYSSY Are great stories.

They don't cram religion down your throat. They are just a bunch of really good and exciting stories on Cd (or tape) that do have kind of a message. With a little Christianity mixed in.

My kids will listen to those CDs for hours. We brought them on every trip we ever took, and even the adults were enjoying them.

Advertisement

Last edited by escapethevillage; 05-15-2007 at 11:11 PM.
escapethevillage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:57 AM   #12
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use a timer and my daughter has a little potty in her room. The little potty probably isn't appropriate for a 4 year old but can't the 4 year old go potty by herself? The timer helps her see that there is a finite end to the quiet time. We also always have a bag of cheerios and sippy of water in the room.

Other than that you can always resort to a sticker chart or something. For myself I would attempt a sticker chart before TV but that is just my own bias.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:44 AM   #13
moonphishers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah - do a movie mama. somedays you wont need that much time and others you will - so the movie is a great idea for those days you need longer time.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:50 AM   #14
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafrach View Post
have you tried stories on CD? My son loves to listen to those and will sit and draw through a quiet time (but not always!).
This is what my DS did today! I was so shocked! His 5yo brother fell asleep (he's always been my sleepyhead!) but Joey was coloring on his Cars Magnadoodle!

I also recommend (if you wanna avoid the movie thing, that's my last option usually!) is special toys or something FOR quiet time ONLY if they're quiet. Otherwise you take it away and they can have their quiet time w/out it. Even special crayons & colors books (or those ColorWonder sets?) or the books on CD are nice too. Sometimes they're a bit entertaining though so they don't always relax and calm down in my experience.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:56 AM   #15
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just to add this quickly...

If you do a movie time now and then it really isn't a huge no-no in my book. Especially if you make it an age appropriate non-violent movie, perhaps Veggietales, Dora or Little Einstiens? But even more fun is if you make it all quiet & dark like the movie theater and maybe get some kid friendly snacks (Pirates Booty is great, just like popcorn but no kernals!) and some sippies of water or even... chocolate milk! This way it's not just a way of life, TV blaring in the background, kids eating cereal from the box while you're passed out on the couch (I've done this too though on some BAD days in my 1st trimester! Ok, well I wasn't passed out... I was barfing! LOL)