Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #91
Alioop
Registered Users
Formerly: goulds
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ok, lets talk about detergent, for once and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenCmomto4 View Post
Great post!! Finally a middle ground between 'build-up is the only problem' and 'build-up is a myth'!! Thank you!!

Question for you... What do you think of soap nuts? I've used them with success, just wondering if there's any more 'official' word on them.

Karen.
Soap nuts are a surfactant, so I dont know the actual surfactant properties of them, but add some washing soda and oxy clean, and sounds like laundry detergent to me. The problem I see is you dont have any control over how much active ingredient you get if you are using the whole nuts, but there are other products made with the natural nuts too....

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 06:42 AM   #92
meg28
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alioop View Post
So, the reason the bleach is working is that it is disinfecting your diapers, and for your water, that might be what it takes. That amt of bleach is really not harmful, and if you add 1/4 c to the rinse cycle it will help neutralize the bleach in your diapers and stop the eating away of the fibers so your diapers wont break down quickly.

But, country save is good stuff. You can add washing soda and oxy clean to that, and have a mix that is good. But, for you, that might not be enough. it is cheap though, so try it. You may still need an occasional bleach (or boil) to disinfect....but maybe not every time.
Hi there Alioop!

Clearly you are being FLOODED, with some great questions right now, but wanted to follow up with a question to my post in hopes that, like so many other mamas, I could get to the root of my evil washing issues. First off I had NO IDEA that so many other mamas were having issues like me, I know my husband thought I was the only one and that I was crazy! Anyway, so shortly after posting my routine of 1tsp of Purex free with 1tsp bleach I did a load of dipes and the poopy dipes were still slightly stained and stinky, and rinsing is an issue as well I had to do a full hot wash and double rinse with no detergent and there were still some slight residue in the washer, not huge suds but clearly not just water...you know what I mean? I want to thank you for responding to my post, and what was it that you suggested putting a 1/4 cup of in the rinse cycle, i think that got left out in the original response? You also mentioned adding some washing soda and oxyclean to the mix of Country Save......how much would I add per wash load? and should it be regular old oxyclean or the baby oxyclean that is free of fragrance and stuff, I am hesitant to use fragrance but if the regular fragrant stuff is what works.........

Also Dawn and washing soda all the time as a routine??? Really???? Does this really work and is ok to use every time???? At this point I am willing to try anything I want to keep CDing as I have only been at it since April, but all this washing and rinsing and experimenting is exhuasting!

Thank you so much for all your hard work not just your research and knowledge but taking the time to help out all of us crazy mamas who seem to be hitting a wall with our wash routines, for me you have been a true diaper blessing.

Thank you.

Meghan
meg28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #93
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinalb View Post
I have a few questions for you as well, if you wouldn't mind.

I would also like to know what you think of soapnuts. Recently I have been using them for our regular laundry and they seem to work fine but, with all the issues I've already had, I've been scared to try them on the diapers.

Do you have any recommendations for a natural soap that works to make homemade detergent without causing oily buildup? I would really like to make my own detergent to save money but I want to avoid petro and other chemicals without risking the cleanliness and functionality of my diapers.

Can you please tell me what you would recommend for my situation? We've been CDing since November '08, initially washing with PC Green detergent, which is the President's Choice version of a concentrated F&C. In October '09, trying to be "greener" and avoid chemicals, I switched to Wonder Wash. Right away I started noticing that the diapers weren't coming clean. They would actually still smell like poop when I took them out of the washer . I started adding two scoops instead of one, and the after wash smell seemed to go away, but then the ammonia stink and burns began. Not long after, DS developed a UTI followed by numerous foreskin infections which I'm sure, in retrospect, were caused by his diapers not being clean. Due to the infections/antibiotics/diarrhea we used sposies for awhile, and everytime I tried switching back to cloth he would develop a new infection and/or ammonia burns. Somewhere along the way I switched to Charlie's and then again back to PC Green, and tried OxyVin, Dawn, bleach bleach bleach, OxyClean overload, tons of hot washes, even boiled the dipes we use at night, and still we have ammonia stink in night time diapers and the diaper pail. It burns my eyes and takes my breath away it is so strong sometimes! Right now my wash routine is generally cold rinse (occasionally with vinegar)/hot wash with PC Green (full recommended amount) and often a scoop of OxyClean/cold rinse/warm rinse (often with vinegar)/warm dryer. We don't have super soft or super hard water, just middle-of-the-road. Can you tell me what I might still be doing wrong, and how I can fix it? I have considered quitting cloth numerous times because DS has endured far too much pain from this. Right now the only thing I'm managing with is using hemp prefolds with a few cotton doublers added in, because they clean more thoroughly -- but it still hasn't prevented the stink entirely.

Oh, we mostly use wool covers, especially at night. I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Also, just out of curiosity... I haven't noticed you mention anything about using the Sun to sanitize diapers. Does regular sunning help to prevent/treat ammonia issues, or does it seem to have any effect at all?

Thanks SOOO much for all your help and hard work!

ETA: We have a top loader and, besides the other things I mentioned, I have also used RLR to try to strip

I think your ? may have been answered, but just to make sure...

My first comment is...

Your first priority is clean and safe diapers. So, although I too want to be "green" using CD and petro based detergent on them is more green than sposies. So.....get whatever detergent was working with them, and use that. You can use whatever you want on your other laundry, but use the stuff that worked in the first place on your diapers.

Sunning can work, but only where the sun reaches. So, if you are using flats, and the sun reaches all the fibers, that may help. But, with several layers of fabric, it will not nec. reach all the layers. I do think that putting your dirty diapers outside to sun to dry out if you are not going to wash them right away to stop the bacteria from growing is a good idea.

But to start with a clean slate,

I boil the diapers. Big pot of water, boil for 10 minutes each diaper. Then, wash with dawn, with HOT water rinses.

Smell your diapers when they come out of the wash. They should smell like nothing. If they smell....rinse again.

I wrote in an earlier post about using flat diapers to help with washing, read that post. It can help with repeat problems.

hth!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:57 AM   #94
Alioop
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg28 View Post
Hi there Alioop!

Clearly you are being FLOODED, with some great questions right now, but wanted to follow up with a question to my post in hopes that, like so many other mamas, I could get to the root of my evil washing issues. First off I had NO IDEA that so many other mamas were having issues like me, I know my husband thought I was the only one and that I was crazy! Anyway, so shortly after posting my routine of 1tsp of Purex free with 1tsp bleach I did a load of dipes and the poopy dipes were still slightly stained and stinky, and rinsing is an issue as well I had to do a full hot wash and double rinse with no detergent and there were still some slight residue in the washer, not huge suds but clearly not just water...you know what I mean? I want to thank you for responding to my post, and what was it that you suggested putting a 1/4 cup of in the rinse cycle, i think that got left out in the original response?

1/4 cup in the rinse to neutralize the chlorine bleach.

You also mentioned adding some washing soda and oxyclean to the mix of Country Save......how much would I add per wash load? and should it be regular old oxyclean or the baby oxyclean that is free of fragrance and stuff, I am hesitant to use fragrance but if the regular fragrant stuff is what works.........

half washing soda, half country save, 1 scoop oxy. Either oxy is fine (generic is alot cheaper too)

Also Dawn and washing soda all the time as a routine??? Really???? Does this really work and is ok to use every time????

Dawn is fine all the time, if you have a top loader. FLer, not a good idea. And, you dont want to use much....as dish detergent is a big bubbler. You are better off finding a good cheap detergent from the list on Pinstripes and Polkadots (first post) as they are lower suds, but the point is that what you really are shooting for in detergent is a surfactant, water softener (if you need it) and oxyclean.

At this point I am willing to try anything I want to keep CDing as I have only been at it since April, but all this washing and rinsing and experimenting is exhuasting!

Thank you so much for all your hard work not just your research and knowledge but taking the time to help out all of us crazy mamas who seem to be hitting a wall with our wash routines, for me you have been a true diaper blessing.

Thank you.

Meghan
answers in bold above!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #95
dairyfarmermama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I used Country Save for a year, but then decided to try something else when I couldn't find it locally and it costed a bazillion to ship it to me from an online store. Loved it, but didn't love the price.

On that note, does anyone know where to get Country Save that is not so spendy? Is there a chain of stores that carries it?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #96
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FAB thread!
mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #97
Sunny_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm still confused what is the 1/4 cup of exactly? Vinegar, bleach or detergent?
Sunny_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #98
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

Great thread! It should be a "sticky"
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #99
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_mama View Post
I'm still confused what is the 1/4 cup of exactly? Vinegar, bleach or detergent?
Me too, lo.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #100
6Swans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I want to add my routine. We have a whole house water softener that merely makes our water neutral and top loader. We use mainly flats and Flip covers with a few fleece pockets, microfiber inserts and BG AIO's and few bamboo inserts.

I do an extra large cold quick rinse with no detergent, an extra long HOT wash with a soak with a half scoop to a whole scoop (depending on how many dipes are in the load) of SUN detergent and 1/2 c of Washing Soda. (Sun detergent is ONLY surfactants and super cheap!) Then another shorter, and smaller load size HOT wash.
Every once in awhile I'll add a 1/2 c of bleach to the actual wash and every once in awhile I'll stop the washer and let them soak all night. (not the covers)

I don't have a hot rinse option and since it's in the basement I never catch in the middle of the cycle.

On a side note, I just went down to start the wash and caught my cat peeing on my washer, good thing the lid was closed, bad thing there were clothes in it and when I opened the lid some of the pee ran back into the washer. Grrrr. So I cleaned that up and ran the clothes again. However a bit later I realized that I'd forgotten to add detergent. Eww! So I ran back down and it was agitating already but the water was nasty! So I'm thinking I need to tweak my main laundry system now. I ended up adding a squirt of Dawn and scoop of Generic oxy clean. Ugh, It's never simple with laundry.