Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2010, 04:34 AM   #31
lisathib123
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A Break From Kids

Dh is up at 4am & leaves the house at 5am, so I have a good 2 hrs to myself in the morning. It's great for me because I can prepare myself and the house before my kids get up at 7am. On Saturdays I wake up at the same time as my kids and its just isn't the same. I feel 2 steps behind all day, never catching up.

Advertisement

lisathib123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #32
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaciaR View Post
Yes, I definitely need the break! It wasn't until I came across the book Raising Your Spirited Child, to help my oldest (5, ASD) that I finally understood why. One of the issues discussed in the book is introversion vs extroversion; recognizing my own introverted traits helped my understand that its not that I "can't stand" so much time with my kids, or that there's something "wrong" with me (or them!), but that I need that time of solitude to recharge. Ds is very intense and spirited, while dd is not quite as spirited, but very extroverted; they're both at a stage where their intense needs are overwhelming for me. When I get that little bit of time for myself, I'm refreshed and ready to be a warm, engaging mother. When I don't get it, I'm grumpy and emotionally withdrawn. It doesn't take much: I food shop alone at night when dh is home, I go to a weekly Bible Study, and once our newbie is born I'll be back to the gym for a couple of hours a week. Juts enough to feel like I'm still a person whose needs matter just as much as my dh and children's needs matter. There's nothing to feel guilty about when we're honest about our shortcomings and are working toward solutions.
EXCELLENT book! helped me a TON too!
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 PM   #33
madebytrudi
Registered Users

My Mood:

I find I need more of a break from the HOUSEWORK and cooking more than the kids. It's easy to send the kids outside awhile but that darn housework is a persistant nuisance crabbing at me all day long!
homeschooling mum (d15, d13, d11, s8, s6) Surprise #6 due Aug 13!
Navy vet and wife to a ret. MARINE
Lend Me Your Pen: my kids's homeschooling Magazine project
madebytrudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #34
UmmKira
Registered Users
seller

When I started hs'ing last year, I needed more "me time" than I did towards the end of the year. I think we just needed to get readjusted to each other and find a new normal. Yes, I do need to have time to myself, but that is more to get away from responsibility. Like, I need some time where I don't need to -do- anything. My midwife suggested taking a walk by myself for 15 minutes and don't think about my to-do list or anything else... just take in the scenery. I love it!

I've also noticed that DD can entertain herself a lot more than when she was in public school. She still wants to play together and do stuff, but she isn't asking for us to entertain her all the time, like it was when she first started summer vacation the year after 3rd grade (her last year in public school).

Each family is different, but I think we adapt as we need to. We may not be used to spending a lot of time with our kids, and vice versa, but that doesn't mean that we never could! I'm of the opinion that we have too individualistic attitudes in modern times and we place too high of value on things that are only about ourselves and not our relationships with others. Just my

Come check out my homeschool blog!
UmmKira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #35
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have 5 kids and one on the way...my mother takes them all from 11am until 5pm once a week, it iw wonderful, she does school with them, and teaches them piano!

I love the time to shop, nap, clean and mop, whatever I need to do, I recommend it but it isn't required to be a good mom, just fun!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #36
granolamommie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by weintz8 View Post
I exercise. It gives me the time "away" I need and sets a good example for my children.
That is my "Me Time" too. I find that if I can excersize an hour or even a half an hour a day I am more full of energy and a better mom. I deal with stress better too. Nap time is good too, I make everyone not napping read and then I can read my bible and pray and it helps me to recharge and stay patient and focused.
granolamommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #37
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with someone else who said it depends on the person. I get some alone time duirng nap/quiet time (our oldest doesn't nap but has some quiet alone time in the afternoon)
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #38
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i think what the person means by " no break" is that no break is going to be given to you. You have to take it. You have to make the time for it. We have quiet time every day. Sometimes I will do a certain activitiy with my kids and then we do quiet time and I tell them to lay & be quiet/color and I can rest/ or catch up on stuff. They need the rest time just as much as I do.
Also moms HS groups, meeting a friend for dinner, shopping on weekends and occasionally putting a movie on. LOL
Old 08-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #39
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the only real break i get is the 90 min they are in class at church! its plenty for me