Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2007, 08:28 AM   #21
kaoh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: That's it, I gave in and did it.

You are on the right path by seeking help. My DS is just a different kind of kid and I took him at age 3 to see a therapist because of issues we were having. I just wanted to understand him and learn how to parent him. The books just don't work with him. Its helped alot. They did "diagnose" him as high-functioning aspbergers, but also said with the early interventions and behavior techniques we are doing he may even outgrow it completely. So I really commend you for taking this step, because it takes a lot of strength to seek outside help.

Advertisement

kaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:40 AM   #22
AmandaS
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Behavior like you're describing can be the result of food allergies. One mom on another board has a child allergic to CORN and when he gets any at all he turns into a horrid child. I hope you find something to get your sweet child back!
Old 05-16-2007, 09:08 AM   #23
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camdensmommy View Post
This is going to stir the pot but I just want to voice the concept that just because something is "normal" doesn't mean everything is ok. There are at least a dozen things considered "normal" in our society that I could rattle off that I don't consider acceptable just because they are normal. Some things are normal because our culture and society are programmed/set up to produce the result. It is okay to break from a norm if you don't feel comfortable with it.

I don't mean to belittle the doctor's diagnosis or opinion. In fact, I am no expert and have never even met your child so I really have no professional basis to make a decision on that matter. However if you, as a mom, feel that something is not right - that things are not the way they should be than I wouldn't accept "it's normal". I would keep digging until you actually feel that the dynamics of your family are in harmony. If you feel that the problem was only on your side and you just didn't have age appropriate expectations than perhaps hearing "it's normal" was the best solution. If you find that entire groups of people and family also feel the behavior is unacceptable than accepting "it's normal" is possibly a route that will leave everyone feeling unhappy, unfulfilled and disconnected.

---this is in response to DEmomof2 -- whoops forgot to quote.

& for you and your family
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #24
mama2cntrykids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You're not alone! I'm taking my 4 y/o ds to a child psycologist next month because of him harming animals and our problems with getting any kind of disipline to work with him. It sucks, but hey, if it'll help, go for it right?
Wife to an adoring man. Homeschooling mama to: A sweet girly newbie (6/2011). We co-sleep, bf and babywear~Mama to 2 boys (12/00 & 2/03) & one pretty girl (5/06). Step mom to a new Army recruit. Leaving for training summer 2013.
mama2cntrykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #25
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope Friday provides some help, some hope, and some answers - at least pointing you in the direction of those things. I remember your other post and am glad you're seeking help. You're not a bad mom at all. No one person knows everything and you feel the need to better educate yourself to help your child grow into a well-rounded adult. WTG!
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote