Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #1
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

Sonlight P4/5 versus K?

Ladies....I need input. I have the Sonlight K set ready for my son's K curriculum this fall. He just turned 5 so will be an early 5 for grade K. He is a very early reader and does quite well at beginning math. Anyhow, I have been reading reviews of Sonlight K Core and have read numerous reviews stating that the core K readers are quite heavy in terms of content, i.e. dealing with death, "mean" children etc. Several people have suggested the P4/5 for grade K instead because of the book content. What are your thoughts?

Advertisement

Last edited by maureen73; 08-04-2010 at 06:23 PM.
maureen73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
HMinshall
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sonlight P4/5 versus K?

I was debating between P4/5 and K and decided to go with K since I looked at the read-alouds for P4/5 and most of them were books that we have already read, and my son will sit and listen to "harder" books than those.
HMinshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

Bumping this...DH and I were discussing this again and he is concerned that the K is very advanced for a 5 year old. Would like some more input from experienced Sonlight moms.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
weintz8
Registered Users
seller
seller

We are doing K and I agree that it is very advanced. My DD is almost five and I consider her to be "mature" has a hard time with some of the concepts. Not just because of the subject matter but the books themselves (twice I've had to go get a dictionary to answer her "what does that work mean?"!!

I would say if you are at all concerned, do the P4/5 with the K readers or even the Readers 1.
and Ian (born 6/5/14)
weintz8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
maureen73
Registered Users
seller

Thanks...I am going get the P 4/5 to have it available in case in the first few weeks I regret starting K. The more I look through the K...it might be better for a 6 year old, so I could use for 1st grade. My DH thinks it would be discouraging to use K and feel like it is too advanced for DS. I think the best idea might be to use the K readers with the P 4/5 Core as you suggested.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #6
o3b
Registered Users

I haven't done P4/5, but I like K. We are doing the Readers 1, and I haven't found anything with heavy subjects like that. Poor choices in the word lists (which can be skipped in the older version I have, or are in a completely different book in the newer version) are common.

Now if those heavy subjects are in the history/read alouds (not the readers), we may not have gotten to those yet. I also may be less sensitized to these subjects since I have older children now. I know that we hit topics earlier now that the olders have gone through them. We were able to "protect" the older ones longer. So take that into consideration with my reply.

You also might consider doing your Core K over two years.
o3b is offline   Reply With Quote