Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
generous
Registered Users
seller

Pre K lesson plans/Curriculum

Hello, I am new to homeschooling, as my daughter is only 3.5 but we are going to start her in Pre K at home in the fall. I am wondering where I would purchase daily curriculum or if you all have any suggestions for ideas etc. Would really appreciate your response; I am due with baby #3 due in early Nov so I am trying to get everything in order so DD has some stability and a routine after baby comes.

Thanks!

Advertisement

generous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pre K lesson plans/Curriculum

We personally don't use a set curriculum from any one place, but lots of different workbooks, flashcards, games, hands-on tools (like counting bears & blocks for math, learning to sort by size, shape, color, etc), and online sites. A lot of our workbooks & flashcards are just cheap ones from dollar tree, walmart, and target (target has some great books & pre-k learning stuff in the $1 bin right now). Games like memory, bingo, candyland, chutes & ladders, hi-ho cherry-o are all great for pre-k kids to learn with and since they're having fun, they don't tend to really think they're learning Some of our favorite websites are :
http://www.starfall.com
http://www.letteroftheweek.com
http://www.progressivephonics.com
http://www.pbskids.org
I get a lot of my lapbook ideas from http://www.homeschoolshare.com
I've found some good printouts from http://www.apples4theteacher.com
Old 07-31-2010, 12:50 AM   #3
dirtmagnets
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We like www.perpetualpreschool.com for preschool ideas - they have a huge list of themes with all sorts of activities to go along with each one. It's more geared towards preschool teachers, but most everything can be tailored to one kid rather than a class.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Prima Knits
Registered Users
Formerly: danzersrule82
seller

My Mood:

I am new to HSing this year as well (ODS is 3.5), went to a HSing conference last summer ad was hooked! I decided for the first year to make it easy on me that I would do a boxed curriculum to get my feet wet. I chose Horizons (made by Alpha Omega) preschool program because it had bible themes already mixed in, and that was something that was important for us. I got a really good deal on it though, since I bought it at the convention. I also just bought how to teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons, and some 'we both read' books from amazon since I have amazon prime free for 2 months. But other than that, I will just be 'teaching' with any opportunity I have..not always in the typical 'school setting'. Like if he wants to help me cook, or daddy build something...those type of things, ya know? I know doing school in the morning is usually best for attention span, but I have a 2yo son and a 5mo old daughter as well so we might do school when YDS is down for his nap after lunch so ODS has more of my undivided attention.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
kristenjoy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for asking this question! I'm in the same boat except that I'm due at the end of September!
kristenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

I just had a new baby in May and we're starting preschool this fall as well. I've been making lots of materials that dd can work with independently so I can keep a handle on my life. I'm planning on doing a sort of workbox system with these activities, interspersed with "mommy and me" activities so that we're still spending time together (I'm making cards to represent the "mommy and me" activities and I'll just place them in the boxes and dd can come get me when she gets to those). Most of these materials are organized like activity bags so that my preparation from day to day will be super easy.

Some of the independent work I have planned:
- lots of file folder games
- sorting games: beans, pasta, cereal, etc)
- pattern games: I made some patterns and then dd has the same materials with which to copy them--some are pasta, others are beads on pipe cleaners, etc.
- counting mats: one example of these is a picture of a fish bowl on cardstock, plus various cards with numbers on them, plus goldfish crackers. DD places a number card on the mat and then counts that many crackers to put in the fish bowl. I also have one with a piggy bank and pennies.
- color sorting: I got a bunch of color swatches for free from Home Depot and cut them into individual colors. DD sorts them into groups by hue and then organizes by shade.
- lacing cards
- beads and string
- cutting
- gluing
- books on tape

Some of my mommy and me activities:
- music (we have a bunch of rhythm instruments plus the book, "101 Rhythm Instrument Activities for Young Children", which I LOVE)
- singing time
- felt board stories
- puppet stories
- games like Chutes & Ladders, Candyland, Memory, Letter Bingo, etc.
- drawing (dd likes to watch me draw for a long time and then she works for days to try to draw the same things)
- fingerplays
- reading

I also have a few preschool workbooks that will work their way into the mix, mostly for writing letters and numbers.

Some of my favorite websites for these activities:
- www.hubbardscupboard.org
- www.childcareland.org (TONS of free printables!)

It is a bit of work up front but I think it's going to pay off in the long run. I'm almost done with most of the independent activities.

Last edited by NorahsMom; 07-31-2010 at 02:08 PM.
NorahsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
generous
Registered Users
seller

Thank you all for the support and resources, I was beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed but am glad to know there is a ton of information and materials out there.

I also picked up a getting ready for kindergarten book at Costco this week- it was only 10.99 and it is a book full of worksheets for your child, alphabet, shapes etc. It looks really good so I am excited for that.

Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #8
knlrachel
Registered Users
seller

subbing
Old 08-06-2010, 05:39 PM   #9
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

also try these. they provide free curriculum!! and btw..i love progressive phonics! it's a great program
http://www.lessonpathways.com/Home
http://www.theheadoftheclass.com/
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote