Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Fire In The Disco
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Secular Boxed or Computer Based Curriculum?

Can anyone recommend their favorite secular (no religious lessons, please) curriculum for elementary age kids. A boxed or computer/online curriculum is preferred, and emphasis on academics like English, grammar, social studies, writing, rhetoric, etc.

Advertisement

Putting that Early Childhood Development degree to good use these days!
, , ,
Fire In The Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Secular Boxed or Computer Based Curriculum?

I haven't used it but Laural Springs is like that. I had to go secular to find curriculum that would have what we wanted. http://www.laurelsprings.com/home

Good luck in your search!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:10 PM   #3
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are secular homeschoolers. This year I am attempting almost exclusively free online curriculum. For our base we use
http://www.theheadoftheclass.com/Spl...plashPage.aspx
It is a bit lighter than some but I like it so far. We are using 2nd and Pre-K. Though I'm not pushing my Prek.
As a supplement for social studies/history I use www.lessonpathways.com
As a general supplement I use www.cosmeo.com it is not free, but I feel it is worth the $10 a month as a resource. It is perfect for my science obsessed 9yr old.

We also use www.progressivephonics.com as a phonics supplement. Head of the class uses "whole word" reading method and I prefer phonics so my kids are learning both.

I hear good things about Oak Meadow, which can be purchased as a boxed curriculum or used on line but it isn't a good fit for Kearnan's learning style so I haven't purchased it. It is sort of Montessori style if I understand correctly. Very gentle and hands on. Kearnan is far more analytical and worksheet oriented. He learns best from computer games and videos with repetitive activities (like worksheet pages) as a follow up.

There is also
https://www.etap.org/
Which I am considering for high school for my boys. It isn't free and so for these particular grades, where I feel confident in my ability to teach the kids, I am not worried about it. In the high school years I think I may want something more like this to ensure they will be ready when it is time for college. Or I may just encourage them to enroll in community college courses and let them go that way.

I have a bunch of other free websites we use, educational games, supplements and that sort of thing to round out our curriculum. I also pick up one of the giant workbooks at Sam's for each grade level. They cost about $8 and make it easier for me to judge if Kearnan is learning everything he should. Or just a nice fill in when we have "lazy days".
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Calvert is a boxed secular program. Fully accredited. It is pricey though. They provide everything including paper, pencils, crayons. My SIL will be using it this year with one of her kids and folks I know who have used it in the past have loved it.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
lyn1270
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
We are secular homeschoolers. This year I am attempting almost exclusively free online curriculum. For our base we use
http://www.theheadoftheclass.com/Spl...plashPage.aspx
It is a bit lighter than some but I like it so far. We are using 2nd and Pre-K. Though I'm not pushing my Prek.
As a supplement for social studies/history I use www.lessonpathways.com
As a general supplement I use www.cosmeo.com it is not free, but I feel it is worth the $10 a month as a resource. It is perfect for my science obsessed 9yr old.

We also use www.progressivephonics.com as a phonics supplement. Head of the class uses "whole word" reading method and I prefer phonics so my kids are learning both.

I hear good things about Oak Meadow, which can be purchased as a boxed curriculum or used on line but it isn't a good fit for Kearnan's learning style so I haven't purchased it. It is sort of Montessori style if I understand correctly. Very gentle and hands on. Kearnan is far more analytical and worksheet oriented. He learns best from computer games and videos with repetitive activities (like worksheet pages) as a follow up.

There is also
https://www.etap.org/
Which I am considering for high school for my boys. It isn't free and so for these particular grades, where I feel confident in my ability to teach the kids, I am not worried about it. In the high school years I think I may want something more like this to ensure they will be ready when it is time for college. Or I may just encourage them to enroll in community college courses and let them go that way.

I have a bunch of other free websites we use, educational games, supplements and that sort of thing to round out our curriculum. I also pick up one of the giant workbooks at Sam's for each grade level. They cost about $8 and make it easier for me to judge if Kearnan is learning everything he should. Or just a nice fill in when we have "lazy days".
thx!! you always have the best links!!! and i love Progressive Phonics. i do it every day w/my 5y.o. he loves the stories and is learning...so yeah!!
lyn1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #6
Fire In The Disco
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for the suggestions!

Putting that Early Childhood Development degree to good use these days!
, , ,
Fire In The Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

Another fan of www.theheadoftheclass.com and www.learningpathways.com