Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-16-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
ambear20
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Sweets...too much junk food!!! Ugh!

Help me!!! My almost 4 year old is addicted to sweets. Ever since Halloween this past year, she asks for them all the time. She wakes up and wants them and doesn't forget about them all day long. I tried limiting sweets to only on Saturday, but for weeks all she talked about was "What day is it today? Is it Saturday?" It seemed that we had way too many exceptions between birthday parties and church stuff. I talked to a nutritionist and she said that she gives her girls something small every day, usually after supper. So, I tried one small sweet a day and now every morning she says, "Mommy, you won't forget to give me a treat today will you?" She is obsessed and is driving us crazy. I feed my kids very well and both are very good eaters and overall I think they get much less junk than the average American kid. They eat mostly healthy snacks, but it seems like the evil of sugar is every where you turn. Even my 20 month old already gets googly eyed when he sees chocolate. Help!!! Is this normal? What have some of you done that have experienced this?

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2007, 09:32 PM   #2
betty_joanne
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Sweets...too much junk food!!! Ugh!

I grew up with desert almost every night after dinner and i turned out ok. Usually it was a scoop of ice cream or strawberries/strawberry shortcake or fruit or grahm crackers or even a tiny peice of pie(rare but sometimes).
I understand the need to not give sugar to kids at night but IMO saying she can only have sweets one day a week is going to put her in a really bad pattern that may in the future lead to binge-ing(sp??),etc.
What 4 year old doesn't drive one crazy? Today it is about candy, tommarow it will be about ??. Give one small treat after dinner and eventually she will probably settle into the routine.

Last edited by betty_joanne; 05-16-2007 at 09:36 PM.
betty_joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
camdensmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't been in your position yet but one thought occured to me. If you are going to let her have one treat a day why don't you let her pick when she wants it. I think lack of control over the issue may be part of the problem. If she eats it first thing in the morning - oh well. Just make sure you don't feel sorry for her and give her another treat later.

My parents did the whole Saturday candy thing. I advise against it.

The biggest thing you can do is limit the type of treats and or junk food that is available in your house. Then when an event occurs that has treats at it don't make it a big deal - let them have it. Don't make it taboo but it also doesn't mean you need to supply your own home with them.

camdensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:54 PM   #4
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Try changing the kind of "sweets" you have in your house. My 2year old is equally awful about wanting sweets/pop/coffee. I just had to stop buying stuff that I didn't want her to always have. Instead, now I buy yogurt, dried fruit(not all that nutritious but better than candy), raisins, cheese....The less they have available the less they will eat

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
rafrach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my 4yr old son is exactly the same - constantly asking for candy. I am trying very hard to limit it to one piece a day and then when whatever is in the house is exhausted that's it, no more! But then a birthday party will arrive!

www.myhatty.com www.myhatty.etsy.com www.hyenacart.com/mainstreet
rafrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:04 PM   #6
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
Try changing the kind of "sweets" you have in your house. My 2year old is equally awful about wanting sweets/pop/coffee. I just had to stop buying stuff that I didn't want her to always have. Instead, now I buy yogurt, dried fruit(not all that nutritious but better than candy), raisins, cheese....The less they have available the less they will eat
I was going to say the same thing. "Snacks" here are dried fruits that I got from a co-op here. (just tomatoes) They're given twice a day, in between meals. Because they're dried they're a lot sweeter than their "fresh" counterpart, and I feel better about feeding them to him because they're all natural sugars.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:53 AM   #7
ambear20
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa1002 View Post
I was going to say the same thing. "Snacks" here are dried fruits that I got from a co-op here. (just tomatoes) They're given twice a day, in between meals. Because they're dried they're a lot sweeter than their "fresh" counterpart, and I feel better about feeding them to him because they're all natural sugars.

Thanks for everyones advice! I guess we are not doing too bad. We do the just tomatoes snacks, dried fruit, fruit leather, fresh fruit, whole grain pancakes and stuff like that for our regular snacks. We don't keep junk around the house, so it's usually when we are out that she is inundated with it (family & friends houses, church, preschool, etc.) or after parties & holidays. I agree that the one day a week thing is not a good idea. I definitely don't want to make it a big deal! Thanks for everyone's help...I guess I needed a litte reassuring.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:58 AM   #8
Amanda2319
Registered Users

My Mood:

My 3 y/o DD has a sweet tooth, she asks me all day for Nerds. I've been telling her for months I don't have them, but since she scored some at a birthday party she figures she'll ask. I give her a fruit plate and let her dip in whipped cream, she likes that.

Amanda2319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:37 AM   #9
CamoMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you thought about having her help you make sugarfree pudding for dessert or to freeze for pudding pops?

My 3yo forgot about the Halloween candy (and we don't even do Halloween--our neighbor gave us all of the candy her one-month-old got when "he" went trick-or-treating) when I had her help me make something that all of us could enjoy. She "served" it after dinner, had a blast! Then she and her sister had frozen chocolate (sugarfree) pudding pops the next day! Now instead of candy, she is scoping the Jell-O section for new flavors to try!

Worth a shot!