Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:08 AM   #21
FeatherBrained
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What are you teaching your child

I really think that depends on you, your child, the homework in question, whether it is one time or not, and several possible extinuating circumstances.

I don't think this a cut and dried question

Advertisement

FeatherBrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #22
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh crud! It wasn't the school suggesting this! I am so sorry to have implied this. I have had a very positive experience with his teachers so far!

And my child has an independent, diagnosis of ADHD-PI from his psychologist. Last spring the school ID'd him as gifted so he's now entitled to gifted services, but he's not on the official radar as being ADHD. It's kind of tricky for us. He knows and comprehends a lot more than he can put out in a timely manner, so he gets a bit frustrated with the work load, and I am concerned that his love of learning will be effected negatively.

Anyway, it's something suggested to me by his father (you should have heard DH's response to it, you are practically blessing it compared to what he said) as an alternative solution to an IEP that reduces the amount of work but not the quality of work.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

From your description, he might not need an IEP. Have you discussed a 504 plan with the school and LO's bio-father? The other option would just be to talk to the teacher. I was a 2nd grade teacher and when I had students frustrated by the amt of work (dictated by the district), I would work w/ the parent by either crossing off half of the page OR telling the parent that when s/he felt their LO had the concept that s/he could just sign the page at that point (indicating that their child did not have to finish). If I found that their LO (consistently) did not have the concepts, then we'd have another conference to determine how to meet their needs.

Most teachers will work with you as long as you don't make their burden overwhelming (remember, they have 20-30 other kids' needs to meet as well). If you decide to pursue a 504, realize that schools don't like 504s either (also legally enforceable), but if he's gifted and adhd, he likely won't qualify for an IEP, but adhd alone would qualify him for a 504.

GL mama.

Last edited by lanwenyi; 08-13-2010 at 09:07 AM.
lanwenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #24
arihillfarm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by logansmomma07 View Post
What about those teachers that assign HOURS of homework, when the child has already spent 8 or so hours a day in school?

I don't necessarily agree with parents doing homework for their kids, but seriously, the amount of homework kids (in general) are being made to do is beyond ridiculous. No child should have to spend his entire day and weekend doing schoolwork that they will forget in a week anyways.
In this case, it would be best to teach your child about time management and how best to work on homework during otherwise free time during the school day or on the way home on the bus. That worked quite well with my daughter (she is starting 4th grade this fall) last year. I did the same thing in school as early as elementary school and when all my friends were complaining about not being able to play after school because of all the homework they had, I had little sympathy for them because I used every spare moment at the end of classes and during lunch to get mine done. Some days now, my daughter waltzes through the door and proudly proclaims that all her homework is done. We go over it together to make sure it is correct and then she is free to play.

-Astrid
WAHM to DD 13, DS 6 and DS 3 and I'm a Magic Maker with Off to Neverland Travel, specializing in Disney! Ask me about how to get the vacation of your dreams (Disney or elsewhere) for the best price and service possible at no extra cost to you. "Like" my agency page on Facebook for the latest travel specials!

Last edited by arihillfarm; 08-13-2010 at 12:44 PM.
arihillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #25
FeatherBrained
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
Oh crud! It wasn't the school suggesting this! I am so sorry to have implied this. I have had a very positive experience with his teachers so far!

And my child has an independent, diagnosis of ADHD-PI from his psychologist. Last spring the school ID'd him as gifted so he's now entitled to gifted services, but he's not on the official radar as being ADHD. It's kind of tricky for us. He knows and comprehends a lot more than he can put out in a timely manner, so he gets a bit frustrated with the work load, and I am concerned that his love of learning will be effected negatively.

Anyway, it's something suggested to me by his father (you should have heard DH's response to it, you are practically blessing it compared to what he said) as an alternative solution to an IEP that reduces the amount of work but not the quality of work.
Perhaps doing as another poster suggested and seeing if his teacher will lower the number of problems/assignment quantity but replace a portion of it with past work or even a "challenge" with work they haven't covered yet. It sounds like he needs more challenge and less repitition!
FeatherBrained is offline   Reply With Quote