Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:24 AM   #11
Bethan_77
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: DESPERATE!

My dd withholds poop and has had a fissure that sometimes breaks open for years now. She struggled with staying on the potty long enough. She gets hardly any tv time, so I loaded pbs kids shows onto my iPad and sat with her in the bathroom while she sat and waited for her poops. It worked well. Her gi doc said kids frequently withold poop till thru are 5. The poop-pain association is strong for a lot of kids. My dd takes miralax too, fwiw.

Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 06:28 AM   #12
amanda_rocks
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my kids wouldn't 'go' on the big potty but were a-ok- with doing it on the little potty (LOL we have one in the livingroom for my 2 year old) there was something just too intimidating about that big throne-
Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #13
beaute_marquee
Registered Users

My Mood:

You guys are scaring me. FOUR? I'm still flabbergasted at my not yet three year old who refuses to poop on the toilet.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #14
MrsJordan85
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's SO SO SO SO SO frustrating.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
cereal527
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

mama. I can't imagine how frustrating that would be.
cereal527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:27 PM   #16
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Hey Mama, hang in there! I know how frustrating it can be! My son has a similar but very different issue. He was born with an imperforate anus (anus hole wasn't formed properly in utero) and needed surgery at 3 1/2 weeks old. We have to give him daily doses of laxatives because of his condition to keep his poop soft so he doesn't get impacted and withhold poops.

I know you son doesn't have a medical condition like mine, but I might go to your pedi and just check to see if he has any poop impacted in there. That might start the cycle of witholding because of pain. Another tip is increasing the fiber in his diet to make poops softer and harder to hold in. Try to give him some prunes, dried apricots, fruits that start with a "P" like pears, peaches, papaya, etc., lots of liquids, whole wheat bread, oatmeal, etc. Also, like the other moms said you can reward poops or do something special when poops are made. Usually once my son is "cleaned out" e.g. nothing hard in there, he keeps pooping consistently and avoids holding it in.

Last edited by 808mamaof3; 08-19-2010 at 01:29 PM.
808mamaof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #17
mg5g
Self Ban

My Mood:

OP- I hope things are "going" better now
I wanted to mention another thing which was a hit in our house was fiberbars. They come in chocolate flavour!
I know what you mean about being so frustrated - It was litterly August of the year our LO started KD when we finally got everything "working". I still have so much guilt over how he was treated by us and by his doctor. Although he doesn't remember anything THANK GOD! It is really frustrating to live through these kinds of issues. And then in our case to find out that it wasn't really his fault.
But yes I would also suggest the follow up Dr visit as your LO may just be impacted or have a fissure which causes pain when he goes so he is withholding to avoid the pain. That is REALLY common and what they thought was happening with our son.
mg5g is offline   Reply With Quote