Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:16 AM   #21
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mitch and Heidi----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxence View Post
Ya that's what I figured too Faith...Besides that they base it off of K attendance time...but you're right about them not being aloud to check in on us as teachers...I just think they are completely unrealistic about it...even at school I doubt they get more than 30 min of sit down learn time...
I was reading this morning on KSL that there are only about 500 families statewide homeschooling their children...At least that was how they implied it in the article about k-12...
My favorite part: The parent of a minor who attends a valid homeschool is solely responsible for (i) the selection of instructional materials and textbooks, (ii) the time, place, and method of instruction, and (iii) the evaluation of the home school instruction. Utah Code Ann. 53A-11-102(2)(c).

Advertisement

Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #22
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Seriously Faith that law deserves a big just the hours of instruction part that makes me laugh at the law writers...
Mommy to DS#1 R/8 DD#1 A/6 DD#2 R/4 and DS#2 D/2
Jaxence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 AM   #23
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxence View Post
Seriously Faith that law deserves a big just the hours of instruction part that makes me laugh at the law writers...
Yep. *I* evaluate that the amount of learning dd has done on her own as a curious kid equals the amount of time she'd have sat in a K class. There, done
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #24
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 08-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #25
luvmyfam
Registered Users

My Mood:

The laws are so ridiculous at times. Here is Cali they say we have to teach arts, um they cant even afford to do that in public schools so they have cut it to my knowledge. I just throw some crayons and an art book or two at they, baboom we are done. Oh and the PE requirements, whatever, so outside and play kiddos!!!! I say, they are my kids and I will do what I feel is best. It's between me and the Lord.

I have been married to my marine for 10 wonderful years and spend my time knitting and happily homeschooling our 9 yo girl, 6 yo boy, 18 month old girl and our newest addition arrived 30 days early on Sept 23 at 1:05 pm weighing 5 lbs 11oz.
luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:55 PM   #26
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfam View Post
The laws are so ridiculous at times. Here is Cali they say we have to teach arts, um they cant even afford to do that in public schools so they have cut it to my knowledge. I just throw some crayons and an art book or two at they, baboom we are done. Oh and the PE requirements, whatever, so outside and play kiddos!!!! I say, they are my kids and I will do what I feel is best. It's between me and the Lord.
I love that attitude Heidi...I feel better that I'm not alone at this...
Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #27
Malakaiii
Registered Users
seller

I just want to wave because I'm following along even though I don't have any kids to homeschool (yet!)

I plan on homeschooling my kids. I want to set up a program more tailored and challenging than they get in public school because I've seen that system fail for so many children. I worked as a reading tutor and classroom volunteer in a bunch of public schools and they just don't work. Even the teachers who are amazing are bullied into doing things like everyone else and the kids lose out.

I love to see what all of you are doing with your kids!
Malakaiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #28
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakaiii View Post
I just want to wave because I'm following along even though I don't have any kids to homeschool (yet!)

I plan on homeschooling my kids. I want to set up a program more tailored and challenging than they get in public school because I've seen that system fail for so many children. I worked as a reading tutor and classroom volunteer in a bunch of public schools and they just don't work. Even the teachers who are amazing are bullied into doing things like everyone else and the kids lose out.

I love to see what all of you are doing with your kids!
Thanks for the support...My little bro was bullied by his kindergarten teacher and I think it set him up wrong in life..I mean she kept telling him he was stupid...He could read before kindergarten, but learned differently than the other students...
He took my car apart when he was 13 and fixed it without any help or even knowing what was wrong...and we didn't have the internet, he just knew...That's my DS...His mind works the same way and I knew how hard it would be on him to be forced into their way of doing things...His daddy is this way too...Difference is dh was HS for the first few years...I've seen the system fail too many myself, but was still terrified that I wouldn't be able to do this myself...
It's really sooo much easier than I thought it would be...It's nice to have people to discuss it with too...since around here people are sternly against it, and think you're setting your kids up to fail in life if you do it...
Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #29
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am planning to do some pre-k with my 4 year old this year. I am actually going to an open house by Abeka curriculums tomorrow to look at their stuff. I really feel like I need something with structure for me to start with. Then I hope to feel more comfortable using different bits and pieces for different subjects. I think it will have its rough patches but will be worth it in the end.

Anyone have negative feedback from their families? My mom is not very supportive. She keeps "suggesting" I put him in pre-k, to make things easier on me. She and I will need to have a talk at some point to see what her issues are with it.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #30
Jaxence
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsy13 View Post
I am planning to do some pre-k with my 4 year old this year. I am actually going to an open house by Abeka curriculums tomorrow to look at their stuff. I really feel like I need something with structure for me to start with. Then I hope to feel more comfortable using different bits and pieces for different subjects. I think it will have its rough patches but will be worth it in the end.

Anyone have negative feedback from their families? My mom is not very supportive. She keeps "suggesting" I put him in pre-k, to make things easier on me. She and I will need to have a talk at some point to see what her issues are with it.
Ya my family are against it...casually because they know not to cross my crunchy side too harshly...My dad keeps saying that if I flop I can always hold him back...My mom has always said "how nice it was to have kids in school" hint hint kinda tone in her voice...That's my fam...
Part of my reasoning is that DS is simply not a morning person and he keeps trying to tell me that I have to make him that way soon cuz the world starts at 6...I just laugh cuz I know there is plenty of time for that...
I needed something structured too...just so I knew I was covering my bases...I knew that once we got started it would get easier...at least I hoped it would...
So far we love it...DS wants to do more than I have for him every day, but I won't give it to him simply because I know he will burn himself out...
Normally I would say have at it, but I know with him he gets super excited tries to do too much and 1; doesn't learn anything, 2; gets tired of it quickly...seems like if I keep it to a set amount he doesn't do that quite as bad...