Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #1
Avah's mommy
Registered Users

Cleaning out the Playroom...

I hate the job of cleaning out the playroom. I hate getting rid of my kids toys! I just feel bad. Any advice on what to get rid of and how to go about doing it? It's getting pretty full and cluttered.

Advertisement

Avah's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cleaning out the Playroom...

I know the feeling. I always feel really bad when it is time to clean out. I try to purge toys several times a year. Spring cleaning, right around birthdays, and Christmas. Then whenever the clutter starts getting to me or when I have warned the kids that if they don't pick up I will get rid of the toys.

First thing I would do is go in and remove any broken toys. Then take a good look at the toys your children may have outgrown. If it is something really special put it aside either for future babies or as a keepsake (obviously lovies do not get purged). Then think about what your kids play with most often. If they have toys that you can't remember when they played with last pull those out. Then see where you are. You can keep some toys for rotating if you have the room, I don't have the storage space for it though so if something isn't getting played with it has to go. Look at things you might have sets of, or repetitive toy types. Do you have 3 different types of building toys? Maybe remove one set. We had legos, Kid K'nex and Lincoln Logs. My youngest likes to build but it was a bit out of hand. So the Lincoln Logs had to go. He plays with the legos and Kid K'nex daily so they stayed. I recently had to cut back even more because the playroom got converted into Tharen's bedroom, no more room sharing means less room for toys. I feel bad getting rid of things but when they have too many toys they don't take care of them and that really bothers me. I don't want my kids growing up spoiled.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:28 AM   #3
annb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is what I do when I am in that situation. I put all the toys that I think they won't miss in a large tote box (or two or three or whatever). Then if they haven't asked for them or missed them, you can sell/donate them in a few months. If they do ask, you just go get it out of the box (don't let them know about the box or they'll see the stuff and decide they missed it). If you look through the box in a few months and have second thoughts, you can rotate the toys back in and take some others out. If you have the storage space, you don't have to get rid of anything, just rotate in and out every month or two. Eventually there will be stuff you know they have outgrown and they won't mind getting rid of it and you won't feel guilty about that.

Last edited by annb; 08-24-2010 at 11:29 AM.
annb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Avah's mommy
Registered Users

Thats great advice! Thanks! I do have some storage so I think i'll try getting rid of some of the toys and see if they ask for them for now, then go from there. They are napping now so now would be the time to do it
Old 08-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is one of my tasks for this week as well. I feel like I do this a few times a year and it's still not enough. Thanks for the inspiration to get moving on it!!
Old 08-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
rosefall
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think I feel mostly bad because I know who gave us each toy. Fortunately, I don't feel like we're at a toy overload yet, and DS is easy on his toys, so I've had to get rid of very little.

One of the reasons we're having a super-small grandparents/aunts/uncles only birthday party this year is to avoid getting a bunch of crap that would inevitably come with a large birthday party.

It's kind of funny, though, because any time I watch other kids, they say "you don't have very many toys". DS has no trouble being entertained all day with them, though.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
Avah's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosefall View Post
I think I feel mostly bad because I know who gave us each toy. Fortunately, I don't feel like we're at a toy overload yet, and DS is easy on his toys, so I've had to get rid of very little.

One of the reasons we're having a super-small grandparents/aunts/uncles only birthday party this year is to avoid getting a bunch of crap that would inevitably come with a large birthday party.

It's kind of funny, though, because any time I watch other kids, they say "you don't have very many toys". DS has no trouble being entertained all day with them, though.
yes we don't do birthday parties! We have cake and ice cream and they get to choose what we have for supper but its with family only. Maybe once they are older I will let them have one friend over or something but thats as far as its going to get.

I find I get really frustrated when the playroom is a big mess. The kids tend to just dump every little basket or box out so everything is on the floor. Oh well, at least its downstairs and away from our regular living space!!