Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:24 PM   #11
Solomon's Mama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: all you delay vaxing and non vaxing mamas, help me understand! :)

I have a hard time with vaccinations. I think they are really great but there are a lot of ingredients in vaccinations that make me nervous, along with all the possible side effects. Its frustrating because you want to be able to give your children immunity to these diseases without exposing them to something that could possibly be harmful. I choose to fully vax though because we do foreign missions and we may be moving to Africa in the next couple years. If we were not doing that, I would probably skip quite a few vaccines.

As far as circumcision, we aren't doing it anymore. DS is circed, and I regret that I did that to him without knowing better...I mean I didn't even think about it, I just knew that DH was circed and I know most of the men in my family are so thats just what I did. Later I did my research and realized that as a Christian, it is not required, and according to the latest medical research, leaving the foreskin intact is best.

These are just my views based on my personal research and convictions, and if someone feels differently I definitely respect that!

Advertisement

Please visit and LIKE my page to keep up with fun diaper chat and frequent online specials!
Solomon's Mama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #12
MiaAnjuli
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadoklee2008 View Post
well i mean ya, i signed the form, but i also signed the form just to stay in the hospital, i didnt think that it was something i couldnt do, because i would be putting them at medical risks.... i wasnt told that they would be ok if i didnt, even my family told me that it was not healthy for me not to. so i was uninformed.
Then your doctors didnt do their job. They should have asked if you wanted it done and what risks or benifits there were. I do think everyone on here has lots of great advice but this is a touchy subject. I would sugesst that you try to search online and ask your doctors for more information and then make your decisions from that should you have anymore boys. I'm not saying that you shouldnt listen to these ladies but I think it is very important that you research it for yourself and make your decision on the facts and not on opinions. Plus you can find imformation to back up what you belive no matter what your opinion is.
MiaAnjuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

My dd's are fully vaxed. I just did what the doctor told me to do and never questioned it. Then I found DS when I was pregnant with my ds and read a post by a DS mama who's ds has been permanently harmed by vaccinations. That was a huge eye opener to me and I started researching. I read lots online but also books too-I highly recommend Dr. Sears 'Vaccine Book'. By the time my ds was born I knew I could not follow the traditional schedule, knowing what I now know.
We refused the Hep B vax in the hospital (and the hospital's pediatrician threatened to not let us take our ds home-that was 'interesting').
We switched pediatricians because my old one flipped out on me-even though I presented her with lots of research to back up my decision (even brought her a copy of Dr. Sears book).
My ds is on a select/delayed schedule because while I feel that some vaccinations are important, others are not. And I am uncomfortable with injecting 4 or 5 at a time, overwhelming my son's little body. By kindergarten my ds will be mostly up to date, except for a couple that we're skipping all together.
It may not be the right choice for other families but its the right choice for ours.

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 08-24-2010 at 01:58 PM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
jenna0913
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadoklee2008 View Post
well i mean ya, i signed the form, but i also signed the form just to stay in the hospital, i didnt think that it was something i couldnt do, because i would be putting them at medical risks.... i wasnt told that they would be ok if i didnt, even my family told me that it was not healthy for me not to. so i was uninformed.
Dont be so hard on yourself. I was uninformed also. At the hospital the nurse said we are going to take your son to circ sign this. I wasn't even asked if I wanted it. I just figured that is what they did. Every male I knew was.

However I have since learned alot.
DS1 fully vaxed
DS2 delayed vaxed then stopped
DD not vaxed
Both boys circ. But wouldn't have been if I knew better
jenna0913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #15
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

The vaccine schedule is produced by an organization called the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), made up of 60,000 pediatricians. There is a panel (made up solely of pediatric doctors) that produces the vaccine schedule, then the finished schedule each year is confirmed by the entire academy.

If you believe that 60,000 pediatricians have your child's best interest at heart, then you could conclude that they think the vaccines are not only safe but also beneficial.

I've done my own research (honestly, prompted by comments on this forum), and I have to say that I side with the 60,000 medical doctors, and not the handful of opposition on the internet.

Best of luck in your effort to learn more.
photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 PM   #16
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by *Peanut*; 09-09-2010 at 11:03 AM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:32 PM   #17
n3w2cl0th
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut* View Post

My friend's cousin got whooping cough, and was coughing so hard that her retinas detached and now she is blind! Did I get the vax for my son? You better believe I did! And when an outbreak came to our area, I was really thankful I did. I don't think I could pass on vaxing. People argue that vaxing doesn't work or doesn't stop diseases, and I am not moved by that argument. There are a lot of terrible diseases that used to be common that are now very rare because of vaxing. And I do feel that my child getting vaxed, helps protect other people that aren't.
I didnt know such a thing was possible! I had pneumonia years ago and coughed so hard I started tearing my intercostal muscles and was in danger of breaking a rib...but I didnt know you could detach your retinas...jeesh
Old 08-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #18
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by *Peanut*; 09-11-2010 at 01:45 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #19
poopstermomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I choose to delay vax because I feel that there are too many shots given at one time. I also avoided the few vaccines that seemed more dangerous than the disease they were preventing. Research, read, and then make the best choices you can as a mom.
poopstermomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #20
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post
The vaccine schedule is produced by an organization called the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), made up of 60,000 pediatricians. There is a panel (made up solely of pediatric doctors) that produces the vaccine schedule, then the finished schedule each year is confirmed by the entire academy.

If you believe that 60,000 pediatricians have your child's best interest at heart, then you could conclude that they think the vaccines are not only safe but also beneficial.

I've done my own research (honestly, prompted by comments on this forum), and I have to say that I side with the 60,000 medical doctors, and not the handful of opposition on the internet.

Best of luck in your effort to learn more.
It's comments like that [in internet tone] that seem to scream that those of us who don't vaccinate can't obviously have our children's best interest at heart because we don't have 60,000 doctors on our side.

And FTR, just because a large populous may believe something, doesn't mean it is true or beneficial. Could mean it does of course. Goes both ways.

Now I do realize that you probably did not mean that comment that way. Just saying....tone....hard to read [not in your post per say, but in general].
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut* View Post

My friend's cousin got whooping cough, and was coughing so hard that her retinas detached and now she is blind! Did I get the vax for my son? You better believe I did! And when an outbreak came to our area, I was really thankful I did. I don't think I could pass on vaxing. People argue that vaxing doesn't work or doesn't stop diseases, and I am not moved by that argument. There are a lot of terrible diseases that used to be common that are now very rare because of vaxing. And I do feel that my child getting vaxed, helps protect other people that aren't.
Disclaimer: Again, not that you mean it this way, but using your comment to illustrate a point.

Many vaxers turn this kind of comment around on we non-vaxers and say "oh because of a friend of a friend of a friend of a cousin [or whatever the case], I'm not going to vax which is silly."

Yet here I see the same type of comment. I'm going to vax because so and so of so and so had this bad reaction to the disease.

I'm not discounting the reaction at all. What I am saying that on each side, as long as they person has truly researched and not blindly done anything, I think that's good. I think it's important for parents to research and make informed decisions, no matter what that decision may be. I think that is prudent and responsible.

To the OP, we don't vaccinate for a myriad of reasons. From ingredients to side effects of vaccines which we deem more risky than beneficial.

On the Circ thing. We circ'ed our first son. Didn't realize I had a choice either. Thank God for DS where I began encountering similar situations, began researching and just ultimately realized that it was my son's body and not mine. Our second son is happily intact and can make that decision for himself when he is old enough to understand all the risks and benefits.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote