Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #21
photomikey
Since there is reason to suspect that this user and CDMama12 are the same person and they have failed to repsond to pm's asking for clarification, both accounts are being banned.

Re: all you delay vaxing and non vaxing mamas, help me understand! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
It's comments like that [in internet tone] that seem to scream that those of us who don't vaccinate can't obviously have our children's best interest at heart because we don't have 60,000 doctors on our side.
What I wrote didn't imply that you didn't have your kid's best interest at heart.

What I wrote did imply that non-vaxxers put more stock in anecdotes on internet forums than in a schedule that was created by the foremost authorities on child health in North America, and probably the world.

FWIW, I wrote another paragraph about thinking that 60,000 pediatricians don't have your child's best interest at heart, but in re-reading it it was largely argumentative, so I deleted it.

Advertisement

photomikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:08 PM   #22
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by *Peanut*; 09-11-2010 at 01:44 PM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM   #23
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomikey View Post
What I wrote didn't imply that you didn't have your kid's best interest at heart.

What I wrote did imply that non-vaxxers put more stock in anecdotes on internet forums than in a schedule that was created by the foremost authorities on child health in North America, and probably the world.

FWIW, I wrote another paragraph about thinking that 60,000 pediatricians don't have your child's best interest at heart, but in re-reading it it was largely argumentative, so I deleted it.
Awww, you didn't have to delete it! You are certainly entitled to your opinion

To the bolded underlined, that's where we part ways and I don't believe it to be "anecdotes".
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut* View Post
I don't use anecdotal evidence to make my decisions. I'm just using it as an example of what I'm trying to avoid and why I vax my kid. And it just hits home harder when you hear of these things from people you know. Like my neighbor got into a car accident when he was sleepy - so yes, naturally it makes me want to be more cautious about driving. KWIM?

I have a question too (for the non-vaxers): Will you vax later on in life, when most development has already occurred?

I was thinking about this because one of my co-workers (not a friend of a friend of a friend) got German Measles when she was pregnant and her baby was born mentally retarded, physically disabled, and has other health issues as well. My co-worker was not vaxed, and was in her 30's when she contracted it. Will you (non-vaxers) vax your daughters (or sons) when they are older? Aren't you worried at all about when your DD gets pregnant when she is older and has no immunity to these diseases?
I'm a little sleepy here What do you mean by "development has already occurred"?

I no longer vax my child. However when they are old enough to research and make the choice for themselves, they are welcome too elect to have vaccines.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #24
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Actually regarding the AAP and the 60,000 doctors, I do not believe they have MY child's best interest at heart. I believe they have the interest of the general public at heart. I believe they are looking to eradicate disease and if there are some reactions along the way it is still better to protect the population (not so good if your child is the rare reaction). One example to me would be the Hep B vaccine given at birth for a disease the majority of the population is at no risk of contracting till at least teen years.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:36 PM   #25
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by *Peanut*; 09-11-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #26
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
I mean like their brains and bodies are matured. KWIM? Like I got the CP vax in my 20's and I did not have to worry about becoming autistic, you know?
Ahh, okay, my brain is so not working tonight! I thought that's what you meant at first then I read too much into it!

Honestly that was my original route. Once they are fully developed. And I'll be honest, I'm still on the fence. Hence the reason I've stopped them all. It's easier to do them then to take them back.

Like a PP said, with SOME vaccines, I'm not so much anti-them, but more anti-ingredients.

It's a tough road either way.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #27
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by *Peanut*; 09-09-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #28
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

I have a question too (for the non-vaxers): Will you vax later on in life, when most development has already occurred?

I was thinking about this because one of my co-workers (not a friend of a friend of a friend) got German Measles when she was pregnant and her baby was born mentally retarded, physically disabled, and has other health issues as well. My co-worker was not vaxed, and was in her 30's when she contracted it. Will you (non-vaxers) vax your daughters (or sons) when they are older? Aren't you worried at all about when your DD gets pregnant when she is older and has no immunity to these diseases?
My mom fully vaxxed me as a child including chicken pox and measles. The chicken pox vax kept me from getting sick as a child but as an adult, I am not immune so I will probably go through it a lot worse because my mom vaxxed me and hopefully I get it before I get really old because it gets much more deadly the older you get. I was also vaxxed for measles and it didn't work. I've had 3 different strains of measles (I mean I've been VERY ill) and have no natural immunity from any of them. I believe my ability to not be immune naturally is because of the vaccine. Just because you give them the vaccine doesn't mean it's effective or that it won't mess with their bodies. I think by the time my daughter is old enough to get pregnant she can decide on whether she gets vaxxed or not.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #29
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by *Peanut*; 09-11-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #30
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
But there are also a bunch of people who DO get the real thing and STILL don't have immunity. You never know!
True, but either way, the vaccines were pointless for me. Who knows how whatever was in those vaccines could've effected my body and it was all for nothing. I was only responding because the question about not being worried about when my DD gets pregnant that she could get sick and it could effect her child hit me more personally because I was vaxxed and I have to worry about that anyways. It makes it seem like non/selective vaxxers are dooming their children and aren't thinking of the long term stuff. But my opinions are just based on my own personal experiences.