Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #21
clothforyourangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need sleep help for a 1 year old

We had a lot of sleep issues with DS1 (and some with DS2). He was also in the habit of waking up frequently to nurse at night and still mostly sleeping in our bed at about 14 months. We got the Pantley Sleep Solution book, too, and decided to night wean with DH's help. It took about a week or two and DS1 was pretty miffed at me the whole time, but it did work. DH had to pick him up and rock and sing with him for a while each time. The first three nights were the worst, so try to pick a Friday night or something to start on. Once they night wean, it's much easier to teach them to fall asleep by themselves - although we did still nurse at naps and bedtime for a few more months. After that he'd still sometimes wake up once a night or so for a snuggle and hug and then would go right back to sleep (he's now dry at night and sometimes wakes up to go potty and wants me to tuck him back in after and I'm ok with that still, too).

After going through all the sleep issues with DS1, we decided to try getting DS2 into his own bed and falling asleep on his own a lot earlier. I was a lot more willing to do this, too, because he was a horrible wiggler and kept kicking and poking and rolling next to me all night long. We did sleep training with classical music with him. By about 6 months old, I could get him to sleep in his crib on his own after nursing. At night, I'd bring him to bed with me to nurse and when he was done or when he started wiggling, I'd put him back in the crib and restart the music. We night weaned with him more like around a year old. Although it did let everyone get more sleep, it does make me wonder if that's part of the reason he's less snuggly than DS1. It's probably just a temperment difference (he likes to have me close, but not much in the way of hugs and snuggles), but it is something that I wonder about. So, with DS3, I'm going to keep him in bed with me a bit longer again. We'll probably night wean around a year again (with DH's help again), but there will be no rush to get him into his own bed all night long. His crib is in our room and he already naps there ok and I do put him back in the crib sometimes at night, but since he's a calmer sleeper I often just let him stay with me.

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #22
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurangel View Post
iOh yeah! The PPO! Hehe - I forgot about that. And 90 times?! I obviously didn't give it a good go then! I'll start giving this a go again!
Yes, 90 or so.... on a good day. Just teasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMama View Post
Oh and the No Cry Sleep Solution did nothing but help me further obsess about the sleep I was NOT getting!!! Although I do still have the log book I kept when she was 6/7 months. It is proof that she was a HORRIBLE sleeper. It is going in her baby book, for sure!
Yeah, I never did those logs. Too formal for me.
jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:31 AM   #23
momto3supercuties
Registered Users
seller

I could've written your post! My dd is 14 months and it's the same thing. She is my 3rd and this is the longest I've nursed. My first dd had a binky and my second had her thumb...this one has me apparently.
She was doing really well and only up 1-2 times lately and now BAM! Back to 4 or more. I'm so exhausted!! But...I do think it's teeth with her. She has 4 on top and 2 on the bottom and I think it's the other two on the bottom coming in. Her teeth take FOREVER to come in and she's miserable.
Last week I was so excited, she has that fisher price seahorse glow worm type toy in her bed. Everynight when I lay her down, we turn it on. It was just the "it's sleep time" clue for her. Anyways, she woke up not long after I was just in there to nurse her and I have a video monitor so I turned it on. I watched her reach over, turn on the seahorse, and go back to sleep. It was too cute. And I was like awesome! I didn't have to get up. Well...but now we're back in teething hell.
She will not just let me rock or pat her, she will stand in her crib and SCREAM if I don't go in and nurse her. Dh can go in but he gets no where. She has never settled down for anyone to just rock her, etc. That being said, when it's nap or bed time though, she gets a quick nurse (most times) and then gets put in her crib and she might fuss a little but she goes to sleep. I would love it if she would let me rock and cuddle her, but she just won't relax enough.

So you're not alone mama. Just this morning I was thinking I just can't do this anymore!! It gets so frustrating, I just really hope that whatever it is that bothers her will soon be gone and we'll go back to 1-2 times a night. I can deal with that I keep thinking that it must be ME doing something wrong, but then again, I'm not sure what that could be. So here's to us maybe getting to sleep through the night soon *Hugs*
momto3supercuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 PM   #24
laurangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

THANK YOU for writing this! It's so nice to know I'm not alone. We made some minor improvements - only up 1-2 times for a few days. Then up to 4-5, BUT I discovered a new tooth AND it looks like yet another is about to break through. For some reason, it just makes it easier knowning there's a reason. STTN will happen sometime or another, I'm sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3supercuties View Post
I could've written your post! My dd is 14 months and it's the same thing. She is my 3rd and this is the longest I've nursed. My first dd had a binky and my second had her thumb...this one has me apparently.
She was doing really well and only up 1-2 times lately and now BAM! Back to 4 or more. I'm so exhausted!! But...I do think it's teeth with her. She has 4 on top and 2 on the bottom and I think it's the other two on the bottom coming in. Her teeth take FOREVER to come in and she's miserable.
Last week I was so excited, she has that fisher price seahorse glow worm type toy in her bed. Everynight when I lay her down, we turn it on. It was just the "it's sleep time" clue for her. Anyways, she woke up not long after I was just in there to nurse her and I have a video monitor so I turned it on. I watched her reach over, turn on the seahorse, and go back to sleep. It was too cute. And I was like awesome! I didn't have to get up. Well...but now we're back in teething hell.
She will not just let me rock or pat her, she will stand in her crib and SCREAM if I don't go in and nurse her. Dh can go in but he gets no where. She has never settled down for anyone to just rock her, etc. That being said, when it's nap or bed time though, she gets a quick nurse (most times) and then gets put in her crib and she might fuss a little but she goes to sleep. I would love it if she would let me rock and cuddle her, but she just won't relax enough.

So you're not alone mama. Just this morning I was thinking I just can't do this anymore!! It gets so frustrating, I just really hope that whatever it is that bothers her will soon be gone and we'll go back to 1-2 times a night. I can deal with that I keep thinking that it must be ME doing something wrong, but then again, I'm not sure what that could be. So here's to us maybe getting to sleep through the night soon *Hugs*