Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #11
BRIDEN
Registered Users
Formerly: brveille
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: picking out corn on the cob

Great post, i had no clue either

Advertisement

Old 05-13-2007, 07:16 AM   #12
zacharysma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had read that before but wasnt sure why the sugar. I know I used to nboil a pot full of water too, then my dad said to cover the bottom of the pan with spoons so the corn doesnt touch, put corn ears standing tall and only a small amount of water in the pan, enough to steam and cover. I guess he got this from watching rachel Ray or something but it actually works and is tender. I add a tsp of sugar all the time now too. Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-15-2007, 11:16 PM   #13
index.html
Registered Users

They are checking the kernals. They just want to make sure they are getting a fresh ear that isn't withered and weird. I'm sure people do it just because you are "supposed" to though.

I haven't see any in the stores yet it's a tad bit early.

It's like watermelons. I can't buy a watermelon without thumping it. I have no idea why I'm thumping the melon, but I will thump 5 or 6 of them before deciding on one. :lol My mom always did it. She said they have to sound hollow to taste good. Whatever they all sound the same to me.
index.html is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:29 AM   #14
Skye5000us
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think the only prob with pulling off the husk is it kinda ruins the corn. Kinda like someone on Tuesday pulls the husk down then by Thursday it has gone bad. (At least I think I read that somewhere and it makes sence) I always look for corn that husk is still firmly attached

Skye5000us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #15
benjason
Registered Users
seller

My DH told me I should pick the heavier ears. Don't know why exactly but I don't have a better way to pick them out. Seemed to work last time I bought some corn.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #16
HBuehler
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OK we raise tons of sweet corn every year and freeze around 200 pounds...I WANT to see corn boarers..you guys called them worms
Because if they are there it is corn that has been raised without chemicals-hence killing all bugs.Now some areas are not as bothered by them so you may not have them but here in the south they are here.Yeah they eat a little but I like knowing my kiddos corn is raised organically.Bugs only eat good fresh veggies so if a bug likes it...You just remove the critter and usually they are just on the tip so break it off and your all set.
Second you are looking for the ears being filled out and fresh.Corn has a real hard time polinating if it gets real hot so you could end up getting home with partial ears of corn if you don't check.
The overall sweetness of corn depends on the variety it is and chances are your local grocery wont know themselves...unless it's locally grown and they know the farmer.Not all yellow corn is sweet corn and not all sweet corns are equally sweet and not all white corn isn't sweet.
Boy I couldn't amagine adding sugar to corn...guess that's why we raise it though ours is so sweet and good...round 1 is about a foot all now-we grow in 3 stages so we have corn much longer thru the summer.Hey there is no smiley rubbing their tummy with butter dripping off thier mouth
Old 05-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #17
medicmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just make sure that there's no brown spots/rot in the middle of the ears.
medicmama is offline   Reply With Quote