Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Pack N' Play

We plan on using our Pack N' Play (the bassinett portion) in our bedroom for the first while that our baby is home (we have a squishy-top mattress so it's not safe for co-sleeping). My question is: Should one use a waterproof pad and sheet over the padding that comes as the "topper" for the bassinett? Are there special sheets for a Pack N' Play that I don't know about? I want to make sure we have a snug fit so everyone's safe

**And if there are: anyone have any old Pack N' PLay sheets lying around I could buy for cheap?**

How often do you use your pack n' play?

Advertisement

Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:38 AM   #2
a_cthelen
My cat's breath smells like cat food
seller

Re: Pack N' Play

I know we're always told not to let baby sleep on soft surfaces, but DS slept on our pillowtop mattress from day 1. When he was 2 days old (for easier night feedings and a little worry about him "sinking" into the mattress) I bought a ultra firm pillow from Target and let him sleep on that. I felt safer with that until he got to be bigger and stronger (about 2 months). I had a "co-sleeper", but it's still sitting in the garage. Just my

BRU sells sheets for the pack n' play http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00019FWC6/ref=nosim/chrisficti-20

Good luck!

Wool for Sale: http://hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/index.php?u=6698
a_cthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:40 AM   #3
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The pack'n'play "mattress" is a waterproof fabric so you shouldn't need to worry about a pad but I do like to use a sheet because the fabric is a little...well...plasticky or something. You can get pack'n'play sheets http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=chrisficti-20&creative=9325&path=tg/browse/-/549060.[/url] My mom found some at a flea market for $3 and I wish she would have bought more! Every now and then somewhere like Big Lots or an outlet store will have them cheap.

We were in the process of moving when DJ was born and several people had offered me hand-me-down cribs but I was waiting till we got settled in. When he was born so early, we just wound up using the pack'n'play all the time and it worked wonderfully. When he was about 6 months old my MIL insisted that we had to have a crib so she bought one, but by then he was sleeping in our bed most of the time, occasionally in the pack'n'play in our room. I think around the time he was a year old we finally took the pack'n'play down altogether because he was in our bed all the time. We mostly used it as a crib until we started cosleeping full time but we did occasionally take it outside when we were cooking out and we would take it to the ILs so that he could have a place to play and sleep down there. Since DJ's still sleeping in our bed right now, I think I'm going to put the pack'n'play right next to our bed for the new baby to sleep in until I feel comfortable bringing him into our bed. I never liked having DJ *in* our bed all the time when he was so tiny and I'm pretty sure it's a bad idea to have a toddler and a newborn both in our bed. DJ sleeps in the middle so hopefully this way he can keep his spot and the new baby will still be in arm's reach for nighttime feedings and all. By the time the little one is big enough to come into our bed, we'll have to see what the situation is and what will work the best.
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 12:52 AM   #4
Manna00
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Hurray for Flea Market sheets.... HOPEFULLY we'll make it to Saturday so I can check our the local yard sale scene one more time before Sam shows up!

Our Pack n' play is right next to the bed as well!! We have the "spa top- astronuat stuff" mattress topper that actually molds around your body and that just makes me too nervous for a brand new baby to sleep on... but DH has to have it for his back. I'm alright with in-bed feedings at night...but at any road.... I didnt mean for this to turn into a co-sleeping thread!

I haveven't even tried to fit regular sized crib shets on the pack n' play... maybe I'll try that first and foremost, huh? Poor pregnant brain is either 2 steps ahead of the body or 2 steps behind the body.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:21 AM   #5
bfoster2000
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think the regular crib sheets are bigger but if you have any of those elastic thingies that keep the sheets on the mattress, you could probably get a good tight fit on the pack'n'play. We have the featherbed thing on top of our mattress these days but even without it, I was always a little skittish about sleeping with a newborn *in* the bed. Lots of times I'd doze off after a feeding with him on my chest and dh would usually put him in his spot when he left for work, but I'm a heavy sleeper during the night and I just liked it better having him close by, but a safe distance away too! By the time he was a couple of months old, he was big enough to "fight back" and would kick us out of the bed if he wanted to so I didn't have to worry about it. My dad keeps telling me that we need to get him sleeping in "his own" bed and I just tell him, he does sleep in his own bed...and he's nice enough to let us sleep there too!
Barbara - Unexpectedly back after a long hiatus...anxiously awaiting #6!
bfoster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:32 AM   #6
Manna00
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Elastic things!! Now THERE's an idea!! Even at Walmart.com is $15 for 2 sheets... yeesh.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:26 AM   #7
foofoomomma
Registered Users
seller

I bought mine at walmart 3 for 10...have you checked the store?
BTW we used the pack n play once he got too long for the bassinet and before I was ready to put him in the crib LOL It worked great!
foofoomomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

I use those flannel waterproof pads and wrap them around the "mattress" side ways. You can get them nice and tight that way. I also will layer them so that I can just pull the dirty one off and not mess with making dd's bed at night. We have a co-sleeper and have been using it for 5 months, and probably will until I am ready to move dd into her crib.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:14 AM   #9
momof4
Registered Users
seller

I also have a portable crib w/bassinet attachment set up next to my bed for the first few months. We did it with my DD, and it worked great; made life very easy until she was sleeping through the night.

Don't worry too much about getting the perfect sheet. In my model, the same sheet/pad is used for both the bassinet and the lower part, but in any case, newborns don't move around much.

Another cheap alternative: when DD was in daycare and her crib sheet got dirty, they just took a regular twin sheet and taped the extra fabric with masking tape on the bottom for a tight fit. Worked just fine!
Old 06-18-2006, 03:34 AM   #10
CMamma
Registered Users
seller

We use our PnP every day! I never bothered w/sheets... I just use one of those waterproof pads on top.