Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #21
TeachinAuntie's Avatar
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 8,156
My Mood:
Re: Asked not to nurse my son at church b/c...



My new facebook avi.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked View Post
I heart your FB profile pic OP! (I clicked on the link in your siggy)

THANKS!

Advertisement

__________________
Steph: DW to Tim
Proud Mama to Lucas Wayne 10/18/09 & Vincent James8/8/11


Last edited by TeachinAuntie; 09-08-2010 at 10:40 AM.
TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 AM   #22
chameleon607's Avatar
chameleon607
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 1,062
My Mood:
Re: Asked not to nurse my son at church b/c...

What kind of man would e-mail a pastor to say he got turned on by watching a nursing Mama???? or ahhhhemmmm- unpure thoughts??? I mean seriously!!!
I think I would be talking to your pastor letting her know that her request has bothered you quite a bit- that this man has a problem with you meeting your baby's need- simple as that. You were not doing anything of any kind of sexual nature. Is he going to be turned on by the hot mama wearing a tight skirt also?? Oh, wait- tight clothing is socially acceptable, nursing is taboo.
I love your nurse-in idea- too bad I wouldn't have the guts to actually organize one. I would stand up to the pastor about this though.
__________________
Mama to Jonah 10-17-05 , Elijah 7-11-07 Sam Isaac 4-2-09 , and Eliza Jane , wife to Kevin
Swagbucks Come, be my friend and earn $$
chameleon607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #23
alinatmom's Avatar
alinatmom
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Maine
Posts: 988
Re: Asked not to nurse my son at church b/c...

My husband is a pastor, and although it may not be right, people expect/hold persons in church leadership at a higher standard then they should. I agree that you shouldn't have to cover up/leave the room but unfortunately if it is causing another to stumble then maybe you should try to accommodate. I look at it this way. I don't have a problem with having a glass of wine with my husband.(alcohol abuse is not something I have ever struggled with and their is nothing un-biblical about it) However since we are in a position of leadership we have chosen that we do not drink because we don't want to make another person whom may see us drink stumble. I feel God has given us that call to help/ not hinder fellow Christians whom are struggling with a Sin. This man may struggle with lust and you may help prevent him from lusting. Just thought I would throw out a different prospective.
alinatmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #24
mcpforever's Avatar
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bama
Posts: 11,738
My Mood:
Re: Asked not to nurse my son at church b/c...

I honestly would call her back and explain to her that you were being discrete, not calling attention to yourself, and feeding your baby. You and your baby are just as much a part of the church as this new person and deserve to be treated as such and not sent away to some back room because a man had impure thoughts about something that is not in the least bit impure. He couldn't see anything and still he had these thoughts so he must have been looking for the temptation. Really it is not your responsibility.
I would point out to her that men can have impure thoughts about a woman who is fully clothed from nexk to ankle and yet we aren't sent to a different room on the off chance that some man might get a bit aroused due to your mere presence. It is overkill in the same way that asking you to run and hide is or banning all pacifiers and bottles (imitation nipples) from the church would be.
Then I would mention that inviting others from your nursing group is likely to compound this problem so she needs to figure out how to help this man deal with his issues as more nursing mothers begin attending you church.

BTW: I nursed in my church a time or two before my babes became too distractable and I needed to move it to the nursery so they could eat. No one had a clue about it.
__________________
Melissa-Wife, mother to DS 4/02 and DD 4/07, DS 7/08 DD 7/13
ISO: my lost shaker of salt
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #25
Ames2x's Avatar
Ames2x
Registered Users
Formerly: MackMommaMade
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Backyard Watertower Michigan
Posts: 739
My Mood:
Re: Asked not to nurse my son at church b/c...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I'd inform the pastor that that is the male's problem not yours. Maybe he should seek some counseling.
__________________
Kay ,God-Fearing, , married to R*5-8-09*SAHM to DS M*12-14-09* DD I *4-29-11* andDD O*12-28-12*
Ames2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #26
Squig'sMumMum's Avatar
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southeastern USA
Posts: 4,959
Re: Asked not to nurse my son at church b/c...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
I honestly would call her back and explain to her that you were being discrete, not calling attention to yourself, and feeding your baby. You and your baby are just as much a part of the church as this new person and deserve to be treated as such and not sent away to some back room because a man had impure thoughts about something that is not in the least bit impure. He couldn't see anything and still he had these thoughts so he must have been looking for the temptation. Really it is not your responsibility.
I would point out to her that men can have impure thoughts about a woman who is fully clothed from nexk to ankle and yet we aren't sent to a different room on the off chance that some man might get a bit aroused due to your mere presence. It is overkill in the same way that asking you to run and hide is or banning all pacifiers and bottles (imitation nipples) from the church would be.
Then I would mention that inviting others from your nursing group is likely to compound this problem so she needs to figure out how to help this man deal with his issues as more nursing mothers begin attending you church.

BTW: I nursed in my church a time or two before my babes became too distractable and I needed to move it to the nursery so they could eat. No one had a clue about it.
ITA with this.

And for the post above it about causing a member of the church to stumble... Um.. Then he needs to seek counselling with the pastor or a professional therapist. What she is doing should not 'cause him to stumble', regardless of lust issues.
__________________
DH & I happily welcomed Squig March '08 and Hiccup March '12

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #27
Edenite's Avatar
Edenite
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 531
My Mood:
Re: Asked not to nurse my son at church b/c...

Say what?!

Skype the service? Huh?

What she (the Pastor) said makes no sense whatsoever...
__________________

Natural Body Butters, Hair & Body Milks (Vegan), Herbs and more!!
Edenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #28
LindyLouWho's Avatar
LindyLouWho
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro GA
Posts: 719
My Mood:
Re: Asked not to nurse my son at church b/c...

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3w2cl0th View Post
ITA with everyone....tell your pastor she needs to counsel him on being perverted! This is why women in Saudi and Iran are covered from head to toe...because men have impure thoughts when they see a womens ankle and the general idea there is not to correct the men (who are perverts) but to cover the women....no...not cool....tell her this is America...and if he has impure thoughts when seeing a woman BF then he needs therapy...unless of course you were flopping your boob all over the church Next think you know they will be telling you not to wear pants or skirts that come above your ankle...oh that gets me so mad
This.

I mean, if you sat in the front of the church, I can see how it might be distracting, but if you sat in the back or in the lobby it shouldn't be a problem.
__________________
Proud babywearing, bottomfeeder wife to Adam (8/12/06) and mom to Lexi (3/23/10). I embrace my inner (and outer) nerd and do some of those funky acronyms.
LindyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:52 AM   #29
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sunny SC
Posts: 13,547
My Mood:
Re: Asked not to nurse my son at church b/c...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
I'd inform the pastor that that is the male's problem not yours. Maybe he should seek some counseling.
Amen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clare378 View Post
Here's what you do:
1. Open Google
2. Type the words "Mary Jesus breastfeeding"
3. Click Search
4. At the top left, click "images"
5. Save a few to your computer
6. Email a few of the pictures to your pastor and ask which one would be appropriate

P.S. If you find one in which Mary's wearing a hooter-hider, please let me know.
THIS made my day!

Steph don't let yourself be bullied or shamed into hiding while nursing. I'd be polite but firm and tell her that while you will continue to be discreet you have no intention of sitting in a room by yourself and if this "gentleman" has a problem then HE should be the one sitting in a room by himself.

Seriously WHO gets turned on by a woman nursing a BABY. That is a MUCH bigger issue.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #30
BuggaBuggaBoutique's Avatar
BuggaBuggaBoutique
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 14,478
My Mood:
Re: Asked not to nurse my son at church b/c...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleon607 View Post
What kind of man would e-mail a pastor to say he got turned on by watching a nursing Mama???? or ahhhhemmmm- unpure thoughts??? I mean seriously!!!
I think I would be talking to your pastor letting her know that her request has bothered you quite a bit- that this man has a problem with you meeting your baby's need- simple as that. You were not doing anything of any kind of sexual nature. Is he going to be turned on by the hot mama wearing a tight skirt also?? Oh, wait- tight clothing is socially acceptable, nursing is taboo.

YES!~
__________________
Making Cloth Diapers For Your Little Bug Since 2005

Momma to 4 girls and one boy! Smoke Free, Pet Free Home!
BuggaBuggaBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.